The horrible tedium of naming a band...

Started by RobRideout, January 03, 2013, 11:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerg

Quote from: "Pedro"aviateur mécanique?

trés nice!

RobRideout

That sounds incredible. I want that now. We will definitely have that on posters, Pedders!

I've setup a bandcamp site and everything now, so all that remains is to actually get stuff done. All I need now is to work out some artwork. How I wish I was good at that type of thing...

RobRideout

THAT SONG! Intro to something, I've had on my computer for AAAGES and I never knew where I'd got it from! I really love it! Have you found anything for it to lead into yet?

Brom

Quote from: "RobRideout"THAT SONG! Intro to something, I've had on my computer for AAAGES and I never knew where I'd got it from! I really love it! Have you found anything for it to lead into yet?

Aww Cheers mate!   :) I've not had anything in mind, however, after reading your comment last night I had a think about a track (half finished as usual) which I'm working on, and it may just pair up with it. In a sort of Part 1, Part 2 way maybe. If I can link a bit of it in to the newer stuff that would be even better.... if I get the bloomin thing finished that would be even, even better!
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

sawtooth

Being a bit of a sci-fi/NASA geek I've had the thought of using 'Ascent in Houston' as a band name for a while but seeing as I 'aint got a full band yet, it's up for grabs. Starts with an 'A' and everything...  ;)

What do you mean 'I can keep it' ?   :lol:

Dave R

Quote from: "RobRideout"That sounds incredible. I want that now. We will definitely have that on posters, Pedders!

I've setup a bandcamp site and everything now, so all that remains is to actually get stuff done. All I need now is to work out some artwork. How I wish I was good at that type of thing...

Not sure if you're going with Pedro's band name, but here's a little bit of concept artwork you can mull over, if you want to. This is a small version. I can give you a higher res one if you like it.

Trapezium Artist

Doesn't quite meet any of the criteria discussed earlier, but I was quite struck by a word that appeared near the beginning of Alastair Reynold's "Pushing Ice", which I thought sounded band-worthy, namely:

Iridophore

From Wikipedia: "Iridophores [...] are pigment cells that reflect light using plates of crystalline chemochromes made from guanine. When illuminated they generate iridescent colours because of the diffraction of light within the stacked plates."

I like the association with generating iridescent colours: sounds like a desired response from good music.

And, for what it's worth, Alastair Reynolds used to be a space scientist in my department, albeit before I took over. He's a man of broad musical tastes, I believe, including prog, and I've wondered for a while whether he knows of Frost*. I should ask him, I guess ... ;-)

RacingHippo

When I next form a band, I'm going to call it Hippomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.
Or possibly Racinghippomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.
* May contain nuts.

Mikey

Quote from: "RacingHippo"When I next form a band, I'm going to call it Hippomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.
Or possibly Racinghippomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.
Or not  :D
I used to have a signature