Pineapple Thief

Started by LivingForever, January 06, 2009, 03:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LivingForever

Just checking out the 'Tightly Unwound' album at the moment in preparation for the Peel gig in February, and I'm really enjoying it!

Any other fans? I previously only had '10 Stories Down' which is good but not as good.

I've tried desparately to get hold of some of the older albums but they seemed to be very hard to find last time I looked.
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

Lacklight

I have both those albums too and I like them but they don't really jump out at me. I sometimes think Bruce Soord tries a little too hard to sound like Thom Yorke.

Incidentally, have you tried GFT for the back catalogue?

http://www.gftmailorder.co.uk/

ich_bin_besser

I heard the title track of "What have we sown?" yesterday on internet radio and had to order the album right away. Already have "Variations On A Dream" which I like.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

L33VEY

Isn't it helpful when people say things like...

"I bought the 3 CDs before Tightly Unwound for £20 from the bloke next to the Frost* Merch stall (on the other side from the biscuits) at The Peel gig"

SORRY!
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

LivingForever

Quote from: "L33VEY"Isn't it helpful when people say things like...

"I bought the 3 CDs before Tightly Unwound for £20 from the bloke next to the Frost* Merch stall (on the other side from the biscuits) at The Peel gig"

SORRY!

NOOOOOOOO  :D

Well you're only just down the road from me, maybe you can lend them to me.  ;)

Ash

I saw them at The Peel last year as a lot of people recommended them on the basis that they were more indie than prog.  I would agree with that. I was also very struck by the energy and all round performance of the guitarist.  I would definitely go and see them again.  I got an album for Christmas but haven't played it yet.
Ash
xxx

Brom

Bought "Tightly Unwound" on impulse yesterday. On first listening I have to say that this is definitely not my warm beverage of choice to dunk biscuits in.

I'll give it another go, but it didn't tick many boxes. I agree with Sarah above, it's kind of Indie, kind of proggie, definitely unique IMHO. I saw it as "singer-songwriter" rather than band territory.

Each to their own tho... don't let me put you off trying, just don't expect "classic" prog.
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Ash

I've listened to it now.  Blur came to mind at one point.  Which of course is not a bad thing.
Ash
xxx

Bert

I only have Tightly Unwound, which is a bit of a grower, truth be told, and I'm beginning to replay parts of it in my head (it means I like it when that happens !).

Oceansize came a bit to mind when I first heard it, but I think they've got someting interesting to say (err, not that Oceansize haven't, of course).

When's the gig (checks wallet  :D ) ?
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

LivingForever

7th of Feb, Bert! (he says, trying not to sound like Ernie.)

I think there'll be a couple of Frost*ies there at least so it should be good!

I really like the whole Prog/Indie vibe as these are my two favourite genres, so I'm looking forward to this one. I think they're a whole lot more mellow than Oceansize though!

James

JamesA

Tightly Unwound was in my top 5 albums of last year, and I think it could prove to be their 'In Absentia'...it is only recently that they have become a 'real band' and gone off doing the whole touring thing.  I saw them in Oxford towards the end of last year and it was a brilliant gig - very much expecting the upcoming gig at The Peel to be better than their last appearance, and I thought that was very good in any event.

Brom

Quote from: "Bert"I only have Tightly Unwound, which is a bit of a grower, truth be told, and I'm beginning to replay parts of it in my head (it means I like it when that happens !).

I take back what I initially said and in place I'll agree with Bert. it IS a grower. Had another go on the way into work this morn and started to "get it", still a little strummy in places, but there are some strong melodies and unexpected moments.  :D
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Bert

Quote from: "Brom"... I'll agree with Bert...

Thanks  :D Doesn't happen to me very often. Actually, just listening again tonight and I have to say, it's bloody brilliant.

I should really pay more attention to stuff, sooner.
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

JamesA

Quote from: "Bert"

Thanks  :D Doesn't happen to me very often. Actually, just listening again tonight and I have to say, it's bloody brilliant.

I like it when stuff like that happens - happened to me with Frost*, I went from what's all the fuss about to why isn't there a lot more fuss...

Mouse

Quote from: "JamesA"
Quote from: "Bert"

I like it when stuff like that happens - happened to me with Frost*, I went from what's all the fuss about to why isn't there a lot more fuss...

The same thing happened to me with Yes and Marillion, especially the latter as their music continues to redefine itself and is just simply brilliant.
Back to the Thief, I've got two tracks from Tightly Unwound thanks to Classic Rock free CDs, and will pick up the album itself at some point when I have money. Along with Tinyfish and Big Big Train, I'm keeping my eye on them.