the old old question...

Started by drblowthingsup, August 05, 2009, 12:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drblowthingsup

speaking to a friend the other day, and an old familiar debate arose...

keytars...
yay or nay?

heres quite a strong argument for.
also i heard mr godfrey played a keytar in freefall a while back :)

turbo

?"By the beard of Zeus"

Bert

I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

Mooncat

Yay.
If you've seen the singist/keyboardist for Alestorm (Chris something) then he rocks out BIG stylee with a keytar.

And sings about Pirates!!!!!

Yaarrggghhhh!
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Cptncanary

I once saw a tv show of Saga's Jim Gilmour using a Moog Liberation, which was so tempermental, that it only stopped squealing and whining as big solo (Ice Nice) came to a finish  :lol:  :lol:

Mouse

Quote from: "drblowthingsup"

That's one of the guns from Halo, isn't it?  ;)

I'm not sure, meself. It was great to see Nozza play several shades of widdly widdle out of his back in June, but I can see why they've become an aquired taste. I think it depends what you do with one, whether or not you use the typical 1980s lead synth sounds. Doesn't Ryo Okumoto of Spock's Beard create some nice soundscapes with his on the Don't Try This At Home DVD?

Ash

Doesn't it depend on who is playing them?

Apologies - I know I have posted that pic before.
Ash
xxx

catherine

Mouse

Good Lord!  :lol:  When was this?

SerFox

Quote from: "Mouse"Good Lord!  :lol:  When was this?

'Back when we all had hair'

:D

drblowthingsup

lol that is the oldest looking synth i ever did see.
also, he looks a bit like my dad on that pic :s

Mouse

He did long hair better than any of my recent attempts...  :)

Nellie

Haha!
That was back in the olden days when (The very gorgeous) Jem was about 17/18 years old.
The gig was Freefall at the Red Lion in Brentford, which is now a McDuffers, and he and Johnny Boyes used to do a duel. I can't stress strongly enough how good Freefall were at the time. Way ahead of it as far as prog went. Proper prog prog.
Personally, I thought the keytar was a good idea as the player doesn't have to stand in the same place all night!
Anyway, what do I know? I'm just a girl. :D
It's in the post!

Pedro

Quote from: "Nellie"Anyway, what do I know? I'm just a girl. :D
I was going to say "you are not JUST a girl" but on reflection that might imply more than I intended!  :shock: ;)

I watched the Adam/Rick Wakeman keytar duel from the Hampton Court gig on YouTube and the idea was good but the execution (topical word for Henry!) ended up being a bit "static".

I agree with Mouse that Nozzer's bake-off with JP at the Dream Theater gig had more flair about it, even if you couldn't see much from ground level!
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Ash

Quote from: "Nellie"Haha!
That was back in the olden days when (The very gorgeous) Jem was about 17/18 years old.
The gig was Freefall at the Red Lion in Brentford, which is now a McDuffers, and he and Johnny Boyes used to do a duel. I can't stress strongly enough how good Freefall were at the time. Way ahead of it as far as prog went. Proper prog prog.
Personally, I thought the keytar was a good idea as the player doesn't have to stand in the same place all night!
Anyway, what do I know? I'm just a girl. :D

I find it bizarre that somebody else in the forum was at those gigs too  :D

Anyway - yes the reason for taking my camera was those battles which were great.  Do you remember when something had to be special enough to spend money on film and developing.  Now  I take zillions of pictures of any old crap.

Ash
xxx