Robbie Williams meets Yes

Started by Trapezium Artist, October 01, 2009, 10:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapezium Artist

I couldn't help noticing the title of Mr Williams' new album, "Reality Killed The Video Star" as being anything other than a direct post-modern reference to The Buggles' "Video Killed The Radio Star" (famously the first video played on MTV). Lo and behold, who is his new producer? That Trevor Horn guy, latterly of The Buggles and then (to many, but not me, weirdly) infamously of Yes.

//http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8282576.stm

OK, admittedly it's at a great distance across a 30 year divide in time and a universe in musical taste (Mr Williams is assuredly not to mine), but it shows the enduring influence of prog once again  ;)  

It also reminded me tangentially of the recent cover of Yes' "I've Seen All Good People" by Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs, two of my all-time favourites from the pop world who miraculously came together with their two Under The Covers albums. (I'll admit I haven't bought the second one or heard their Yes cover yet, but still  :D )

Geetar

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"It also reminded me tangentially of the recent cover of Yes' "I've Seen All Good People" by Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs, two of my all-time favourites from the pop world who miraculously came together with their two Under The Covers albums. (I'll admit I haven't bought the second one or heard their Yes cover yet, but still  :D )

Oh, but you should. It had me in stitches- and for all the right reasons, for once. It's really great, and I think it even features everyone's favourite carpet salesman on guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFI-4d9gPhA
This space for sale.

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Geetar"
Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"It also reminded me tangentially of the recent cover of Yes' "I've Seen All Good People" by Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs, two of my all-time favourites from the pop world who miraculously came together with their two Under The Covers albums. (I'll admit I haven't bought the second one or heard their Yes cover yet, but still  :D )

Oh, but you should. It had me in stitches- and for all the right reasons, for once. It's really great, and I think it even features everyone's favourite carpet salesman on guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFI-4d9gPhA

Thanks, Geetar: very good indeed, album to be bought immediately (to add to the first one).

I've always had a huge soft spot for Susanna Hoff's voice (ok, I admit it, I've been in love with her for more than 20 years  :D ), and was delighted to be able to see The Bangles play twice in recent years, the second time with my then eight-year old daughter who was already a big fan and was thrilled to meet the band in Bristol (albeit very briefly). Her lovely take on Anderson's vocals here reminded me of the equally beautiful cover of "Turn of the Century" (a Yes standout) by Annie Haslam on the "Tales from Yesterday" Yes cover album done a few years ago (which is patchy, but has some great versions in places).

As for Matthew Sweet, well, I reckon he's one of pop's unrecognised true geniuses. Listen to his "Girlfriend" album from 1990 (jeez) and you'll be hooked forever. It's got great pop songs, excellent playing, and awesome production: brilliant stuff.

Not quite sure why "All Good People" would have you in stitches exactly, though  :?

Geetar

Pure delight- nothing sinister at all.

I don't always dwell on the Dark side, you know.
This space for sale.

Dodie

Not all that fussed about Robbie Williams either way, but thanks for the tip about Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs. I've bought a few tracks, and really like them. Great version of "Bell bottom blues", and "I've seen all good people" is a fine cover.

I've not listened to any of Matthew Sweet's stuff since I heard an album that belonged to an ex-girlfriend back in 1996. But I remember liking it, and reading an interview somewhere in which Sweet boldly proclaimed his love for Close to the Edge...

Cheers,

David

Brom

Heard the single "Bodies" on't radio this morning and is it me, or is there something almost proggy going on. May explain why the masses have not given it erm.. mass approval.  :?
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Brom"Heard the single "Bodies" on't radio this morning and is it me, or is there something almost proggy going on. May explain why the masses have not given it erm.. mass approval.  :?

Hmmm, interesting: will have to see if I can catch a listen at some point. P'raps Mr Horn has had a little more influence on matters than just the title.

Then again, I'm not sure how happy I'd be if prog became mainstream again. I quite like being a misanthropic loner (present company excepted) in my musical tastes ...  :D

LivingForever

I've heard it... and I like it.

But I didn't really find it prog, to be honest! :p
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

RWA

Me thinks Robbie chose Trevor Horn for his involvement in artist like Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Seal and Tatu. His recordings always sound stellar. I doubt it has much to do with the fact Mr Horn was involved with Yes.

Anyway, I like Robbie Williams (well, his music that is) and personally find his previous album (Rude Box) more then excellent. I guess it was to techno/electro for most but I like it. And I like Robbie's new single as well. I didn't know about Trevor Horn being involved which makes it even more exciting for me.

Mouse

I've always found Robbie Williams's releases to be quite inoffensive to my ears (which to normal people means "it's OK"/"quite good") and I always try and take note of what he releases. Having Trevor Horn on the production side might actually lure me into maybe possibly buying something, as I have an eager ear for production nowadays.

johninblack

We quite like Robbie in this house too, I'm particularly taken with his first two albums, superb in my opinion.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Pedro

Agreed. Escapology was the last one I paid 'full price' for (i.e. best online price), liked it less, bought the next one from a bargain bin in Asda....can't even recall the name of it I was so underwhelmed. Rudebox was it? :?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Geddy Lee

Robbie Williams???? Talentless, totally talentless some people should NEVER be allowed near  a recording studio. Nuff said!
Be A Hero, Kill Your Ego