Jem back on twitter

Started by turbo, December 29, 2010, 10:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin1j

Speaking as a long time fan, though a short time member of the forum I would like to lend my support to just saying 'leave the man alone'. It is easy to fall into the trap of thinking Jem=Frost therefore Frost=Jem; the guy has a life beyond our fascination with just one aspect of his musical taste and career let alone his family commitments. If he wants to twitter then so be it, I am sure he knows people who have no idea about frost and to whom his bowel movements are just as important, let him do that in peace don't take offence.

Please remember that the likes of Black Light Machine come from a passion. The day that Frost becomes a chore and a day job is the day that Frost ends, and none of us want that. Let Jem keep this as his guilty pleasure and if that means
de-frosting for a while then so be it.

Pedro

"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

DwDunphy

Hope my comment didn't come off as unnecessary grousing; more of a statement than a complaint - although one could end up feelinging like Julian Lennon when these things aren't handled with care. :D

E.S.

I'm glad he's back. I missed his everyday tweets.
And I'm VERY excited to see what happens with the new electronica ideas. That's one reason I got into Frost*, all the weird glitchy little thingies coming out of nowhere.  :mrgreen:

Mickdoo22

Quote from: "E.S."And I'm VERY excited to see what happens with the new electronica ideas. That's one reason I got into Frost*, all the weird glitchy little thingies coming out of nowhere.  :mrgreen:

It's the opposite for me.....what drew me to Frost originally was the musicianship, strong songwriting, and the fact that is was prog with actual developed melodies and good vocals.  I find most prog vocals to be an afterthought, and typically almost unlistenable.
As for the glitchy electronica stuff.....that has always been a take the bad with the good scenario.  It's very MC Hammer sounding to me, and just doesn't do much for me.  It's much like the auto-tune crap you hear all over the radio these days.....cute trick when you hear it once....but it's very non-musical to my ears.

Pedro

To each their own. :)
I look forward to giving it a listen, I can't promise to hate it.

Drarok

Quote from: "Mickdoo22"I find most prog vocals to be an afterthought, and typically almost unlistenable.
This I agree with most heartily. Well, not most, but a hell of a lot. I find the same with a lot of the music I listen to, though. I like rock and metal, but I don't like screechy vocals at all – for example I find Cradle of Filth completely unbearable, despite some of the impressive fiddling the rest of the band do.
Frost* and some other bands in the same aural solar system acted as a gateway to open up my eyes (and ears) to a host of bands that sing so much better than Dream Theater or Rush.

Mouse

Good Prog with good vocals? Moon Safari, anyone?  8-)

rogerg

Quote from: "Mickdoo22"
Quote from: "E.S."And I'm VERY excited to see what happens with the new electronica ideas. That's one reason I got into Frost*, all the weird glitchy little thingies coming out of nowhere.  :mrgreen:

It's the opposite for me.....what drew me to Frost originally was the musicianship, strong songwriting, and the fact that is was prog with actual developed melodies and good vocals.  I find most prog vocals to be an afterthought, and typically almost unlistenable.
As for the glitchy electronica stuff.....that has always been a take the bad with the good scenario.  It's very MC Hammer sounding to me, and just doesn't do much for me.  It's much like the auto-tune crap you hear all over the radio these days.....cute trick when you hear it once....but it's very non-musical to my ears.

I agree with Mick on a lot of this.  electronica isn't my favorite genre, as I find it very derivative after a while.  that being said, there is certainly some great work being done; I love Jem's Dr. Orchiotomy remix: tight, funky, very creative.

but it was Jem's use of melody in Milliontown that drew me to the music; just damn great tunes.  not enough tunage in electronica.  (also my complaint about rap.)

ich_bin_besser

Quote from: "Mouse"Good Prog with good vocals? Moon Safari, anyone?  8-)

Hmm, is Moon Safari prog?

(For the record: I LOVE the band!)
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Pedro

Well I'm not mad about such labels but if track length, instrumentation and time signatures are anything to go by then you only have to listen to track 2 of Blomljud for a short time to get a hint. I would say yes they are.
If, however, you measure Prog by the differences between albums then (I hear that) the new album is more of the same suggesting that they are not.
But does it matter? I heart them too. :)

rogerg

Quote from: "ich_bin_besser"

Hmm, is Moon Safari prog?

(For the record: I LOVE the band!)

if they aren't prog, I want to know what they are so I can get more of it!

Mickdoo22

Wow!  I just checked out some samples online......great stuff!   Why the hell haven't I heard of them before?  They remind me of old Starcastle in some ways.  
Any other suggestions for melodic prog with good vocals?   :P

Mouse

None that I think would cause some kind of controversy. I reckon David Gilmour's a great melodic singer - his lead vocal and harmonies on Breathe from The Dark Side Of The Moon, for example. Nice and simple, perfect for me.

But then, I don't consider Pink Floyd as Prog. Progressive yes, but not Prog. In the same way that Elbow, The Beatles, Radiohead and The Orb are/were progressive.

You don't have to be Prog to be progressive.

All my own opinion, of course. Firmly lodged somewhere where the sun don't shine.  :lol:

gr8gonzo

Quote from: "PlanetFrost"Dangerous chinese whispers have reached me. News of the band's demise is greatly exaggerated. Frost* is merely resting. Calm thyselves Jem x

I don't know what prompted that tweet, but I don't mind the reassurance.  :D
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around