Jem back on twitter

Started by turbo, December 29, 2010, 10:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Mouse"None that I think would cause some kind of controversy. I reckon David Gilmour's a great melodic singer - his lead vocal and harmonies on Breathe from The Dark Side Of The Moon, for example. Nice and simple, perfect for me.

But then, I don't consider Pink Floyd as Prog. Progressive yes, but not Prog. In the same way that Elbow, The Beatles, Radiohead and The Orb are/were progressive.

You don't have to be Prog to be progressive.

All my own opinion, of course. Firmly lodged somewhere where the sun don't shine.  :lol:

I think you lost me somewhere, Mouse  :?

Does it somehow demean or undermine "Prog" for merely (?) "progressive" acts to be thus labelled? Or vice versa? Are they exclusive sets, overlapping sets, or does one set fully encompass the other?

For me, "progressive" is a very wide term and I'd be at a loss to draw any particular distinction between "progressive" and "Prog".

Care to clarify your nomenclature? (This isn't a troll or a flame; just genuinely curious).

LivingForever

I think the thing Mouse was getting at is that "Prog Rock" is a very different thing to progressive music.

"Prog Rock" is a very defined genre where bands write music that sounds like what Genesis, Yes or ELP were doing in the 70s. Some people do it very well and I'm not knocking it at all. I wouldn't put Pink Floyd in this bracket either.

Progressive music should be, as the name suggests, something new and exciting, that tries not to sound like anything else, and pushes the boundaries. Like the aforementioned bands were all doing in the 70s. But for me, progressive music is a description rather than a genre and could encompass rock, electro, house music, whatever...
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

gr8gonzo

I'm inclined to agree there is a difference, "Prog" being the musical style and "progressive" being a generic term indicating that a band's sound has evolved. Based on those definitions, had EIMA been stylistically a sequel to Milliontown, it would not be considered progressive.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Mouse

I think LFE's got what I was trying to say.  :lol:

Trapezium Artist

Hmmm. OK, I must be far enough out of touch (as usual  :D) not to have known that (if I'm reading LFE correctly) "Prog Rock" is a rather specific contemporary genre, in which bands are trying to emulate particular groups and particular sounds from the 1970s. Under that definition, then I'd agree that "progressive" and "prog" are not synonymous.

I'd also definitely agree that there are many bands who one might term "progressive" (including The Beatles and Radiohead, as Mouse has said, but also perhaps Japan and Talk Talk, as favourites of mine), beyond the canonical "prog" bands of the 1970s. Yes, I'd agree that it's a description of music rather than a genre.

But then I'm also old enough to have followed many of these 1970s bands in real-time, so to speak, i.e. during the 1970s, and I'd argue strongly that Yes and Genesis were very definitely "progressive" bands at that time (perhaps not ELP, who I've never really had time for). I mean, you can't begin to compare "Tormato" and "Tales from Topographic Oceans", despite them being separated by only 5 years (!), strongly implying that Yes were "progressing".

So, in that sense surely, Yes were very much progressive, just as Pink Floyd were. But because people now choose to emulate certain moments in Yes' 1970s career (if I reading this right), then somehow Yes become Prog Rock, while Pink Floyd aren't? I do sense a slightly deprecatory note to that ...  :?

Anyway, the Grauniad clearly thinks Floyd are prog, judging from the article today that accompanied the news that they've finally caved in and been willing to have single tracks off their albums sold on iTunes  :D

QuoteThe band's decision to offer fragments of their famous concept albums for 99p each on iTunes is likely to disappoint prog rock purists who applauded their stand against EMI.

//http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jan/04/pink-floyd-emi-single-digital-downloads

Mouse

I just listen to music I like, alright? Enough of this mind bending genre/attribute defining. It's like trying to talk to J.J. Abrams.  :P

Anyway, enough of that, did you know that vipera berus, the common European adder or common European viper, is a venomous viper species that is extremely widespread and can be found throughout most of Western Europe and all the way to Far East Asia? Known by a host of common names including Common adder and Common viper, adders have been the subject of much folklore in Britain and other European countries. They are not regarded as highly dangerous; the snake is not aggressive and usually only bites when alarmed or disturbed. Bites can be very painful, but are seldom fatal. The specific name, berus, is New Latin and was at one time used to refer to a snake, possibly the grass snake, Natrix natrix.

The common adder is found in different terrains, habitat complexity being essential for different aspects of its behaviour. It feeds on small mammals, birds, lizards, amphibians and in some cases on spiders, worms and insects. Females breed once every two or three years with litters usually born in late summer to early autumn in the Northern hemisphere. The common adder, like most other vipers, is ovoviviparous; litters range in size from 3 to 20 with young staying with their mothers for a few days. Adults grow to a length of 60 to 90 centimetres (24 to 35 in) and a mass of 50 grams (1.8 oz) to about 180 grams (6.3 oz). Three subspecies are recognized, including the nominate subspecies described here. The snake is not considered to be threatened though it enjoys protection in some countries.

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Mouse"I just listen to music I like, alright? Enough of this mind bending genre/attribute defining. It's like trying to talk to J.J. Abrams.  :P

Dinnae fret, wee timorous one; I just like music too and don't really give a damn about the labels  ;)  After all, my music collection roams freely up hills and down dales, exploring enough nooks and crannies so as to make it difficult to pigeonhole in just one. And yet, does my iPod care when I whack it on random shuffle? No, he does not  8-)

Never been compared to JJ Abrams before, though ...  :D

Fogeyspasm

Tally Ho Chaps
Bandits 11 O\'Clock High
Throttle to boost, im going in!

Geetar

"Prog" can often mean that the militant part of the fan base has fossilised.

"Progressive", by contrast, can often mean that the band plans to leave behind that militant and fossilised part of its fan base.

:mrgreen:
This space for sale.

SmartUK

Heaving this thread dangerously back towards its original theme for a moment, those without Twitter may be interested to note a recent @planetfrost entry which includes the lines, "News of the band's demise is greatly exaggerated. Frost* is merely resting."

Cue many quotes from The Parrot Sketch.  I'll start; "All right then, if he's restin', I'll wake him up!" (shouting at the cage) "'Ello, Mister Polly Parrot!"
Frost*, monkey, trumpet, ARSE!!

Mickdoo22

Quote from: "Mouse"I just listen to music I like, alright? Enough of this mind bending genre/attribute defining. It's like trying to talk to J.J. Abrams.  :P

Anyway, enough of that, did you know that vipera berus, the common European adder or common European viper, is a venomous viper species that is extremely widespread and can be found throughout most of Western Europe and all the way to Far East Asia? Known by a host of common names including Common adder and Common viper, adders have been the subject of much folklore in Britain and other European countries. They are not regarded as highly dangerous; the snake is not aggressive and usually only bites when alarmed or disturbed. Bites can be very painful, but are seldom fatal. The specific name, berus, is New Latin and was at one time used to refer to a snake, possibly the grass snake, Natrix natrix.

The common adder is found in different terrains, habitat complexity being essential for different aspects of its behaviour. It feeds on small mammals, birds, lizards, amphibians and in some cases on spiders, worms and insects. Females breed once every two or three years with litters usually born in late summer to early autumn in the Northern hemisphere. The common adder, like most other vipers, is ovoviviparous; litters range in size from 3 to 20 with young staying with their mothers for a few days. Adults grow to a length of 60 to 90 centimetres (24 to 35 in) and a mass of 50 grams (1.8 oz) to about 180 grams (6.3 oz). Three subspecies are recognized, including the nominate subspecies described here. The snake is not considered to be threatened though it enjoys protection in some countries.

Ok.....this may be the single most bizarre post I have ever seen on the internet!  Congrats!   lol

Ash

Quote from: "XeRocks81"I understand Pedro, but it still reminds me of the first days of the "new" board all over again. When all the cool kids kept posting on the old board because they didn't like that the new people weren't into biscuits or whatever.  Like it's some exclusive club.    :oops:

Sorry for delayed reply and to bring up old stuff again.  The thread being abut twitter didn't interest me as I don't do twitter.  But there comes a time when you have read the other threads and finally decided to read the twitter one....

As a guilty "cool kid" who posted on the old board, I would like to say what my reasons were for doing so.  It was at the time of the EIMA release and there were loads of posts moaning about non receipt of EIMA.  There was such a lot of posts it was impossible to keep up.  Once it calmed down I was happy to be at the new board.  It was nothing to do with an exclusive club.

I love all Frost*ies - old & new xxxx
Ash
xxx

Big Black Shed

Anyway, enough of that, did you know that vipera berus, the common European adder or common European viper, is a venomous viper species ..............

Quote from: "Geetar""Prog" can often mean that the militant part of the fan base has fossilised.

"Progressive", by contrast, can often mean that the band plans to leave behind that militant and fossilised part of its fan base.

Good lads. House points all round. ;)  ;)
It's not the winning or even taking part. It's the arsing about that counts.

Tricky

Quote from: "Geetar""Prog" can often mean that the militant part of the fan base has fossilised.

or by extension:
Progressive is avant garde, but with tunes.
:?
When the future\'s looking dark, we\'re the ones who have to shine...

johninblack

Bugger all these labels, did you know that........

The Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect causes a change in the apparent brightness of the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation towards a cluster of galaxies or any other reservoir of hot plasma. Measurements of the effect provide distinctly different information about cluster properties than X-ray imaging data, while combining X-ray and Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect data leads to new insights into the structures of cluster atmospheres. The effect is redshift-independent, and so provides a unique probe of the structure of the Universe on the largest scales. The present review discusses the theory of the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect and collects published results for many clusters, presents the overall conclusions that may be drawn from the detections so far, and discusses the prospects for future research on the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effects.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"