Volume disparity between tracks?

Started by Drarok, November 16, 2008, 11:36:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drarok

Welcome To Nowhere ends on a noisy bit, guitars, piano, singing. But then Pocket Sun starts with just keys and vocals, and seems much louder.

Is it just me, the emusic rip, or what?  :?:

Pedro

Given those three choices, the answer must be; "what?".  :)
It's the dynamic nature of the album - the quiet bits are so wonderfully delicate, the louder parts are real neck-hair raising deployments of Rawk - looking forward to more of it live at Chrimbo.

Can't get "Toys" out of my head....  ;)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

kyuwert

From my perception, the ending of WTN and beginning of Pocket Sun have about the same volume level. Because Pocket Sun has "less going on" in the beginning, that could be why it sounds much louder to you? I wouldn't think eMusic would normalize tracks, but you never know, really.

LivingForever

I also wonder whether Dear Dead Days is supposed to run straight into Falling Down like that or if that's just eMusic's rip...

All these questions and more will be answered when the CDs arrive!  :D
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

Gedfaz

Quote from: "LivingForever"I also wonder whether Dear Dead Days is supposed to run straight into Falling Down like that or if that's just eMusic's rip...

All these questions and more will be answered when the CDs arrive!  :D

It runs straight into Falling down on the CD too. It may not sound quite so odd if we hadnt already heard Falling down... I think thats what makes it sound strange. Its probably a natural connection if you are hearing it for the first time.

I'm getting a weird buzz during a really quiet bit of Saline on the cd and wondering is it some kind of left in artefact... it lasts for about a second (not talking about the built up buzzy sound).

kyuwert

Quote from: "Gedfaz"I'm getting a weird buzz during a really quiet bit of Saline on the cd and wondering is it some kind of left in artefact... it lasts for about a second (not talking about the built up buzzy sound).

Timestamp?

Drarok

Quote from: "vkamicht"From my perception, the ending of WTN and beginning of Pocket Sun have about the same volume level. Because Pocket Sun has "less going on" in the beginning, that could be why it sounds much louder to you? I wouldn't think eMusic would normalize tracks, but you never know, really.
Ah, are you a lucky early recipient of the CD? Can't wait for mine, with instrumental mixes! :D

kyuwert

Quote from: "Drarok"Ah, are you a lucky early recipient of the CD? Can't wait for mine, with instrumental mixes! :D

Nah, I just have a version that's not from emusic, that's all...  ;)

LivingForever

Quote from: "Gedfaz"I'm getting a weird buzz during a really quiet bit of Saline on the cd and wondering is it some kind of left in artefact... it lasts for about a second (not talking about the built up buzzy sound).

I heard that too through headphones. Not sure if it was intentional!
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

Wickerman

Yeah- i've noticed the buzz too.  I quite like it- adds a sudden moment of cube warmness.  I don't like recordings to be too perfect.  I like the fact you can hear the bass-drum pedal sqeaking all the way through Zep's 'Since I've been Loving You'...

Jem

Quote from: "LivingForever"

I heard that too through headphones. Not sure if it was intentional!

It is. Happy accident.

kyuwert

I still can't hear it.  :cry: Where is it?

Mikey

Quote from: "vkamicht"I still can't hear it.  :cry: Where is it?
I can't hear it either
Still waiting for my copy. :evil:
I used to have a signature

Pedro

It's at about 3:30.

As far as I can tell, it's not a highly compressed data burst containing Jem's top-secret Brawn recipe. It sounds more like a Braun shaver to be honest.

It is a strange thing to hear in there though - not sure it adds anything but it certainly doesn't spoil the track which is lovely - Dec's vox are beautiful - love the harmonies.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Dave M

Quote from: "Wickerman"Yeah- i've noticed the buzz too.  I quite like it- adds a sudden moment of cube warmness.  I don't like recordings to be too perfect.  I like the fact you can hear the bass-drum pedal sqeaking all the way through Zep's 'Since I've been Loving You'...

I'm with you on that.
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..