UKZ feat. Eddie Jobson

Started by ChrisX, January 01, 2009, 06:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFlnG3AKOW8

From the description with this video, which was uploaded earlier today:

UKZ is a virtuoso supergroup formed by former 'UK' keyboard/electric violin legend Eddie Jobson with ex-King Crimson stick player Trey Gunn; Austrian guitar prodigy Alex Machacek; former Expanding Man vocalist Aaron Lippert; and German drumming phenom Marco Minnemann. The 'Radiation' video is the first release from the debut EP.

Hmmmm..... I quite like this especially the middle sections with the guitar- and e-violin solo. Not entirely sold on the vocals though.
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

Geetar

I don't like the vocals. The rest is interesting. I'll wait to see how/if it grows on me.
This space for sale.

rogerg

I'm liking this, and not minding the vocals at all.  actually, they could be a bit more in the mix, maybe with a hint of fattening on them.

but I hate any description as a "virtuoso supergroup".  sheesh.

ChrisX

Quote from: "rogerg"but I hate any description as a "virtuoso supergroup".  sheesh.

I hate the term supergroup as well but Trey Gunn, Alexc Machacek, Marco Minnemann and Eddie Jobson are in my book virtuosos on their instruments.
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

rogerg

Quote from: "ChrisX"
Quote from: "rogerg"but I hate any description as a "virtuoso supergroup".  sheesh.

I hate the term supergroup as well but Trey Gunn, Alexc Machacek, Marco Minnemann and Eddie Jobson are in my book virtuosos on their instruments.

yes, they are, but, tying in to TBE's thread, this makes me listen to them for a whole different reason.  play music, but don't tell me how good you are, just play damn good music, and I'll be there.

Mikey

Quote from: "rogerg"maybe with a hint of fattening on them.
Quote from: "ChrisX"former Expanding Man vocalist Aaron Lippert
Perhaps he should re-join
I used to have a signature

rogerg

Quote from: "Mikey"
Quote from: "rogerg"maybe with a hint of fattening on them.
Quote from: "ChrisX"former Expanding Man vocalist Aaron Lippert
Perhaps he should re-join

and eat more biscuits!

EVP

Not sure what to think of this. While it's not bad, I don't really hear anything that
hasn't already been done. Sounds a little too King Crimsony. The guitarist sounded
a little too much like Holdsworth on the solo. Nice guitar though! I'm a fan of all
things Steinberger.

I agree about the "virtuoso" thing.

iainmac

Have to say I like this, although I agree about the middle section being the real strong point.  Very different to UK without the Z, a band I only recently discovered.  Eddie Jobson really was an incredible virtuoso (argh that word again) at such a young age (21 at the time of their debut album? and had already been playing with some band called Roxy Music for a couple of years).

johninblack

Mmmmmm, I can see and hear the talent but IMHO it's not for me. A clever piece of music but not what I would call a song.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"