Main Menu

MicroKorg

Started by El_Mayonnaise, March 22, 2010, 10:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El_Mayonnaise

I found that the MK original was able to store your own sounds but it just seems that Korg don't want you to delete their precious names on the XL. Wurly ep for the wurlitzer, mg bass for moog bass (they're really clever) and so on and so forth.

Idea struck last night when I read (think it was on here) that the Micro X can be used as a sound module whatsit. So in combination with a midi keyboard you have the Triton engine at your hands. Rather than the Radias on 3 octaves of childrens learning keys.

That or softsynth. Where I have noooo idea where to begin. My real fear with softsynths is that my laptop won't be up to it. It's only a wee Toshiba Satellite AMD turion X2 Dual core mobile RM 70 2.00 GHz with 3GB ram. If that is any good let me know. I know nothing of computers and their magical innards and gizzards.

boswell

EDIT: What follows is gibberish. You have been warned.

Laptops are unfamiliar territory for me I'm afraid, although 2.00 ghz with 3gig of memory sounds enough. However, my PC runs with terrible latency unless I'm using the soundcard and the ASIO drivers it comes with.

ASIO prevents latency you see (I don't understand the sorcery as to how it works mind you)

Most decent soundcards have some sort of ASIO support built in, but your average laptops don't come with dedicated sound processors. Which means either get yourself a firewire Soundcard or an actual  Sound Card (the credit card sized jingle-wizards you slot in the side of laptops).

OR

Download a free program called Asio4all. It's some sort of virtual ASIO driver which emulates a soundcard using your processor. Haven't had much luck with it personally but it might be worth checking out. You could probably test it now if you felt so inclined (just use your typing keyboard as a controller for now). Download some free VST's - something beefy which will test your laptops mettle. Have a faff about with the Asio4all settings and see if latency will cause you problems.

Hope that complicated the matter

Steve