The Philadelphia Experiment - Update

Started by Jem, September 27, 2009, 08:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman

Just as long as I get ma Frost* fix, I'm happy!

Drarok

I often wonder if paid downloads can work for the smaller artists. If it's DRM-protected, I'd be less inclined to buy it, seeing as I like to burn a copy for the car, put a copy on my iPod etc (my real EIMA CD doesn't leave the house, and my Milliontown one is still in its packaging!  :mrgreen: ).

BUT!
If it's unprotected, then mean people will just distribute it widely on the internet and then Jem doesn't get his hard-earned cash. What to do?!

Mooncat

I've mentioned one way of trying to make this sort of thing work to Jem previously (and it's been done by 3 or 4 of my favourite 'not signed to major label' artists), so here goes -

You subscribe to an MP3 'club'  for the duration of 'the project' (be it 6 or 12 months with a track per month/two months etc). You can obviously pre-pay for the whole series or buy a track at a time (although that "should" work out at more than the full subscription, to encourage you to go for the whole shebang!!!).
Then when the track is ready you are sent a download link or the track as a file etc
Repeat until end of subscription.

Whilst I appreciate there is the potential for some unscrupulous individuals downloading the track and then file sharing them, the people who knock about on here would (for the most part I believe) be 'in' for the greater good (i.e. ensuring Jem makes enough from this escapade to continue Frost*ing for years to come).
The fact that you might give your mates copies is really no different to people taping albums, burning CD's etc and has always been part of the reality of the music world - and to my mind why so many artists are now putting out extravagant package options to persuade people to invest their money in a legitamate copy of the product  - it's just that the internet has made the thing so much immediate and global.

Anyway I'm off before I turn in to Lily Allen!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

D S

Quote from: "Mooncat"Anyway I'm off before I turn in to Lily Allen!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
Careful, you don't want to develop a nasty glottal stop now, do you?  ;)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Drarok

Quote from: "Mooncat"You subscribe to an MP3 'club'  for the duration of 'the project' (be it 6 or 12 months with a track per month/two months etc). You can obviously pre-pay for the whole series or buy a track at a time (although that "should" work out at more than the full subscription, to encourage you to go for the whole shebang!!!).

Whilst I appreciate there is the potential for some unscrupulous individuals downloading the track and then file sharing them, the people who knock about on here would (for the most part I believe) be 'in' for the greater good (i.e. ensuring Jem makes enough from this escapade to continue Frost*ing for years to come).
Hmm, depends on how much per month these things go for?
Also, while most, if not all of the people on here would pay for their copies, there are only 527 registered users, many of which might be spam... And the active members seem even less than that. Is that enough people?

catherine