You/I TAB - really composed on the piano?

Started by Pedro, March 01, 2009, 10:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedro

Hi,

I've been noodling on the guitar a bit recently (trust me, not very well) but I stumbled onto the You/I pattern and (while I know we have read that it was composed on the piano) it just struck me that the original idea may have come from the guitar(?)....

E--------------------------------------------
B-----------------------------------------3--
G---0----0-----0----2----0----0----0---2--
D----2----2-----0---4-----2----2----0------
A-----0----3----------------0----3----------
E-----------------0--------------------0-----

Probably just coincidence....  :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

D S

Pedro,

I know you'll have read Jem's story of the song's origins below:-

"You/I is about a day I had when I was really ill with a bad cold recently and having to work through it in the studio. As I was trying to get through my ever lengthening list of things to do, the phone wouldn't stop ringing with people asking really petty mundane things that they could probably solve anyway if they had an ounce of self motivation. It was also a sign that they were thinking of me as nothing more than a money making utility for them. I'd tried to explain that I was feeling a bit shit, but they all went, "Yeah, anyway...." So I pulled the phone out of the wall, shut the studio down and went up to the piano in the house to noodle for an hour by way of a protest. In the midst of that hour, this little song came out. It's not a prog rock song, but it's a memory to me of a moment of sweet defiance. To further my rebellion, I deleted all their voicemails when I went back down to the studio. To this day I don't know what they rang about, but as you can tell, nobody died as a result so go figure..."

So it does appear the song just came out of nowhere on the piano.  That said, it does sound really good on guitar too and seems to lend itself easily to standard guitar tuning so who knows? (other than Jem!)  Thanks for working that out.   :D

Had fun last night playing it using the acoustic guitar sound on my Godin xtSA togther with a piano patch on the Roland guitar synth - they sound great together.
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Pedro

Hiya,

Yes, I recalled that story too, and I don't really dispute it. I'm more curious to know if this is in some way a product of Jem's "cross-functional" thinking (playing better-than-guitar solos on the keyboard, playing the guitar on his lap, etc.) maybe the guitar-friendly nature of the piece came from exploring how to make keyboard parts more like guitar parts....

He is into a "week from hell" this week so he may not get time to comment. It matters little anyway, it is a damn fine piece and fun to noodle with as you found. A Godin xtSA....(googles)....pretty.  :)

Cheers,
P

Pedro

Quote from: "SerFox"http://www.frostmusic.net/frosties/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=277
Gosh...
I'll have to have a look when I get back to the PC, but I expect yours will be waay better and probably complete. You were obviously first....I did genuinely produce my first ever attempt at TAB without reference to (or actual memory of the existence of) your efforts but the TAB is incidental to my question regarding the inspiration behind the original composition.... :)

SerFox

Quote from: "Pedro"
Gosh...
I'll have to have a look when I get back to the PC, but I expect yours will be waay better and probably complete. You were obviously first....I did genuinely produce my first ever attempt at TAB without reference to (or actual memory of the existence of) your efforts but the TAB is incidental to my question regarding the inspiration behind the original composition.... :)

I wasnt actually trying to prove that I did it first.. just that if anyone wanted the full thing ^^

Your video making skills far surpass mine anyway!

Pedro

Quote from: "SerFox"
Quote from: "Pedro"
Gosh...
I wasnt actually trying to prove that I did it first.. just that if anyone wanted the full thing ^^
Your video making skills far surpass mine anyway!
Flattery will get you everywhere!
No, I was just a bit embarrassed that I hadn't logged the fact you'd done it! I shall consider that my "senior moment" for this month! :oops: ;)