Pro Tools 8.0

Started by EVP, December 18, 2008, 05:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomskerous

Quote from: "Rick"I just bought an mbox and protools 7.4 this afternoon but with the free upgrade to 8, spent the whole afternoon installing it all downloading the 8 upgrade and having a little play, must say i am a little daunted but it looks and feels awesome very impressed so far.
Now to sit down with a drink and read the bloody manual :(

Did it come with the video tutorial DVD? I found that a total lifesaver when I got started. Still have it on my phone as an mp4 for revision purposes...
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

Rick

Quote from: "tomskerous"
Quote from: "Rick"I just bought an mbox and protools 7.4 this afternoon but with the free upgrade to 8, spent the whole afternoon installing it all downloading the 8 upgrade and having a little play, must say i am a little daunted but it looks and feels awesome very impressed so far.
Now to sit down with a drink and read the bloody manual :(

Did it come with the video tutorial DVD? I found that a total lifesaver when I got started. Still have it on my phone as an mp4 for revision purposes...

Just dug out all the bundled stuff that was in with the Mbox2 that i haven't even got round to looking at yet, and lo and behold an instructional DVD, nice one , thanks Tom...

tomskerous

My pleasure. Enjoy the occasional moments of unintended MOR hilarity, but there's still a lot of good stuff in there.
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

EVP

So far everything is running fine, no crashes here...yet. There is a weird zooming bug
but it's nothing that you couldn't work around. The only issue I have is they just gave
away plugins in the Bomb Factory bundles and made them free in v8.0

I paid $400 USD for the Producer Factory Pro bundle in 2005 and I sure hope they
give me a free update to Bomb Factory v.8.0(it has different plugins now) The Digi
folks seem to be mute about the situation at the moment.

Oh and if you own any of the Mooger Fooger plugins,your ilok auths don't work
and you either have to move them to the un-used folder, or try installing v7.4 version.

Overall I really like PT 8.0 and I'm sure I'll be upgrading my Mbox LE version soon.

Bokkie

Works nicely over here in the lowlands, but takes more cpu power than 7.4 and maccie doens't like that very much(cpu overload :x ). So i'm considering an other box(maybe low budget  hackingtosh).
I can confirm that the digi folks are thrifty with information regarding system and software configurations.
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

Rick

Quote from: "Bokkie"Works nicely over here in the lowlands, but takes more cpu power than 7.4 and maccie doens't like that very much(cpu overload :x ). So i'm considering an other box(maybe low budget  hackingtosh).
I can confirm that the digi folks are thrifty with information regarding system and software configurations.

Careful before you throw more money into hardware Bokkie this cpu overload thing seems to be affecting people from macbooks up to the latest macpros i have a feeling that a point release might be following in the not too distant future..

Bokkie

Ok Rick, thanks for the warning. I will wait for any news before i switch from hardware.
Indeed it seems a bit odd to me, because when ever the cpu usage gets around 30%(most of the time less) i get the overload error. I thought is was due to insufficient cpu power of my machine.(g5 2.0  / 4.5 gb ram) It works fine when the cpu usage doesn't exceed  20%. But that means no plugins and buffer-size at max. For real audio that's no problem, but using virtual instruments i get the horrible latency effect.

Rick

Its actually quite strange, i can go for hours and it works fine, other times i start up the same session (therefore same plug-ins) and get cpu errors , i have watched the cpu meter and it does not even spike, i have just built a windows box to try out the Windows version and see if it behaves the same, having said that i am quite new to Protools myself so no expert by any means, perhaps one of the long time PT users might be able to advise you better..

EVP

I've been hearing about RTAS instrument issues. My test session only had about 8 audio tracks and I was only running BFD lite and one instance of the new organ thingie. It runs fine but then
I haven't had the CPU meters up either. I want to get another Mac,but this time a Mac Mini
or an iMac to have as a 'home base' and use my Macbook for running softsynths in Mainstage.

BTW I'm really digging Mainstage! It's quickly becoming my new keyboard rig.
I love pulling up synths and stacking them to get some awesome sounds.

Bokkie

Quote from: "Rick"Its actually quite strange, i can go for hours and it works fine, other times i start up the same session (therefore same plug-ins) and get cpu errors , i have watched the cpu meter and it does not even spike, i have just built a windows box to try out the Windows version and see if it behaves the same, having said that i am quite new to Protools myself so no expert by any means, perhaps one of the long time PT users might be able to advise you better..

If you could post your results, that would be awesome.

I also tried the rtas organ and had the meter running. It went through the roof!!(about 40% in my case) I can only use it when i record a midi track and then put the organ as plugin with the buffer-size on max and al other plugins on inactive. And then there's the core issue; use both cores for rtas or just one? In the Sound on Sound i read a piece on it, but for pt 7.4.

Stacking synths sounds cool, i only stack cymbals ;)

Equinox

have to say i'm liking new pro tools

it's done wonders for a few of my sessions, crackin!!!

weezul

Quote from: "Pedro"
Quote from: "weezul"got it on th day of release.. unfortunately im violently ill and cannot play with it!!!! :(
Get well soon!

thanks! all better now..saw that toys video of yours and was blown away!! anyhow, have been mega busy with my degree and stuff, but I did just finish a geordie folk album, did the mixes in Pro Tools 8 in Vista, and it's been more powerful/stable than it ever was as 7.4 in XP. Also used that Massey Limiter along with some other things for the mastering, it sounds so good! Used his CT4 as well on the acoustics, you should try it anyone if you get the chance, it sounds absolutely fantastic and the plugs are really cheap as well.

EVP

WARNING FOR MAC USERS

Be careful when upgrading to 10.5.6. I installed it by the combo update as is often suggested
by Digi and now PT Mpowered 8.0cs1 will not launch. I've done all trashing prefs and databases
and all that blah blah and pro tools no starty for me. It was fine when I was on 10.5.5.

I should have known better and this was the first time having this sort of problem for me.
I ran with it and Logic still runs rock solid but I guess I took it for granted. I may try
uninstalling and putting PT 8.0 back in or maybe try going back to PT 7.4.2,that is if
that version will even work.

Thankfully I don't have any major projects going in PT so no harm done.

*EDIT* This may also have something to do with the recent update to Quicktime
released over the weekend,but I'm not sure.

Jem

Thanks for the heads up. Spookily, I was going to do the upgrade this morning and then I saw that Guitar Rig isn't yet compatible with it and nor are a couple other of vital wee things.

I'll leave it just a while more yet methinks.

EVP

Good plan Jem ;) Funny thing as I was going to give it a thumbs up but then I've been
beta testing a secret new app and exported a midi file to try in PT and discovered
to my horror it wouldn't even launch.  It could have been a combination of things
and it even could be the 8.0cs1 update that may have thrown the monkey wrench into it.

I just now emptied my trash and debating what to do next. I think I'll stop on over to the
DUC and have a look around and see what the other Digipeeps are running. If I make any
progress I'll post an update.

I've heard about  Native Instruments issues with PT and Leopard. I hope they get everything
ironed out. I just bought Absynth 4 on a blowout price at our local Guitar Center and
I hope it works ok with PT.