EIMA discussion and appriciation thread

Started by Qjimbo, November 16, 2008, 01:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qjimbo

Seems there isn't one of these yet, so I thought I'd take the liberty of creating one!

EIMA is not Milliontown, and once I realised that I really began to appreciate the album. The first half of the album is definitely the most poppy, coming to a head with Saline, but once you hear Dear Dead Days you realise you're on "level 2" so to speak, with progressive elements really beginning to show themselves.

I will be honest though, I really yearned for more twiddly solos; it seems that these had been stripped away to produce a far more rounded album. In the next one I really hope we get a return of the far more progressive sound. That being said, EIMA does sound extremely relevant and does fit in with the current pop "landscape" whilst pushing the boundries, so it could be argued that that is progressive in itself.

Overall I'm very happy, and I will say it did live up to the hype. However the sudden ending bothered me enough that I created a Wonderland Falling Down hybrid in the style of the old Frost 2 preview! I would post it but considering it has such large chunks of the album it's probably not a good idea...

The DVD is worth it purely for the instrumental tracks, which I have found very enjoyable to listen to (especially halfway points in certain songs... *cough*) but it is lacking original content asides from this, but it's no biggie. Having an entire archive of the Frost* Reports on DVD is nice even if there aren't any new ones (correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway, enough of me rambling, post your thoughts...
Industry!
Science and Technology!
*plink plink*
Big men, putting screwdrivers into things!
Turning them, and adjusting them!

Pedro

Quote from: "Qjimbo"The DVD is worth it purely for the instrumental tracks....but it is lacking original content asides from this....
It perhaps should be said that this means a lot of the content is better-than-web quality copies (without all the buffering and some crummy mono sound in places) of videos that the more regular Frost*ies might have have seen before....I'm looking forward to revisiting the journey (when the snails eventually hand it over).  :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

gr8gonzo

I'm an irregularly regular Frost*ie.  I temper my high fiber diet with large amounts of expandable foam insulation.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Philadelphia

Well, there are those who claim that when you eat enough fiber your tummy can stomach anything (oh, that was bad...).
I have two questions, though.
1. Do you take your expandable foam insulation with any condiments?
2. Do you find that, when the foam expands, it flexes any of your abdominal muscles? If so, you can sell the stuff on television, right along with the sauna belts and all the other silly weight-loss gadgets. You could make loads of money, you know!
"One man\'s Drum Machine is another man\'s Mellotron"
- Pedro

kyuwert

Didn't take long for this thread to be derailed... good job guys 'n gals!

SerFox

..How have you heard it before release date?

...No one fills me in on these things  :cry:

Drarok

There are threads on that very topic, SerFox. eMusic (free trial), Play.com download (paid), etc etc.

Philadelphia

I have to confess that by the time I started writing that I'd already forgotten which thread I was in. Maybe I'm not getting enough fiber.

Oh, and while we're on the subject. Wikipedia doesn't seem to differentiate between US and UK spelling when the fibres are the kind you eat. So it's fibres in the paper I buy, but fibers in the food I ought to be eating?
I don't like to be confused by my food. (;-)
"One man\'s Drum Machine is another man\'s Mellotron"
- Pedro

SerFox

Quote from: "Drarok"There are threads on that very topic, SerFox. eMusic (free trial), Play.com download (paid), etc etc.

But theyre talkijng about the dvd, hence my confusion

kyuwert

Quote from: "SerFox"
Quote from: "Drarok"There are threads on that very topic, SerFox. eMusic (free trial), Play.com download (paid), etc etc.

But theyre talkijng about the dvd, hence my confusion

The release date for some countries was actually the 14th, and I think JJ & Co. sent out copies early so they would arrive ON the release date, and some people are just getting 'em early  :)

LivingForever

I think as long as you don't expect Milliontown Part 2, which let's face it nobody that's seen the Frost Reports, read Jem's blog or heard the tour CD should be... then you can appreciate this album for what it is - a damn fine rock album, with some proggy elements, some pop elements, some metal elements, some alternative elements.

Once I'd set my expectations aside and started listening to what it is and not what it isn't, I quickly realised this is a pretty special album.
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

Drarok

I'm on my 3rd listen already. Is it me, or is there a lyrics change in Wonderland?

I think it used to be: "Here in electric light, it's a wonderful feeling to be alive", but now it's clearly "Here, I'm electrified...".

It's fun listening to the tracks we've already heard and spotting the little mixing differences and stuff, but I find myself tempted to skip the ones that I've already been listening to for months... Must resist!

kyuwert

Yeah those lyric changes to Wonderland were mentioned in a blog, actually (though in such language you didn't know what Jem meant by it).

Love the direct reference to Milliontown  :D

Gedfaz

I do like the instrumentals... and will put them on my mp3 player too. I think Saline is a track that needs the vocals because it is repetitive in the instrumental version.

There are extra bits to some of the frost reports... i would have liked it to be full screen though but i guess that would take up too much space. i would say that the dvd is a nice freebie but I guess at £16.50 for the full hit its not a freebie really is it.

I agree that we all knew what we would be getting with EIMA but you always hang on to those unheard tracks hoping for something extra. i was pleasantly surprised by Saline and a bit let down by dear Dead days though this does sound good in Instrumental mode... Welcome to nowhere also grows but not for proggy reasons (whatever they are).

I'm glad I've got it... but Milliontown is better for me by some way.

Hate the drum machine... bin it Jem.... the two tracks I can hear it in are ruined by it... (well slightly spoiled anyway)

LivingForever

Quote from: "Gedfaz"There are extra bits to some of the frost reports... i would have liked it to be full screen though but i guess that would take up too much space. i would say that the dvd is a nice freebie but I guess at £16.50 for the full hit its not a freebie really is it.

How do you mean fullscreen? Do the reports come up in a little Youtube-style window instead of full size?

:?
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/