EIMA - Whats your favourite track ?

Started by Dave M, November 17, 2008, 12:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SerFox

The instrumental versions. How to fit them all? MP3 them all at 192kbps.

Mikey

Quote from: "SerFox"The instrumental versions. How to fit them all? MP3 them all at 192kbps.
They're not available to download ...............are they?
I used to have a signature

MikeEvs

Quote from: "Mikey"
Quote from: "SerFox"The instrumental versions. How to fit them all? MP3 them all at 192kbps.

Has your CD/DVD arrived?

Pedro

Toys has been getting a load of my attention but Dear Dead Days and Falling Down are neck and neck.
DDD: Dec's vox, those stunning arpeggios and the way that excellent guitar solo ends.
FD: This was the track with the "log of prog" wasn't it? Again the vox are great and there's so much anticipation in that guitar "chunk" sound at 2:48 (and the tambourine work) in the build up to that very excellent keyboard solo.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Mikey

Quote from: "MikeEvs"

Has your CD/DVD arrived?
Sore point.
I used to have a signature

MikeEvs

Quote from: "MikeEvs"

Has your CD/DVD arrived?
Sore point.

Sorry didn't mean to rub it in, it's just very easy to get the instrumental mp3's off the dvd

Gedfaz

I'm about 12 plays in and though my initial analysis was not that great... i do have to say this...

Saline is lovely.... it really is...
You/I is really nice too....
I'm even liking Dear Dead Days now....

but Toys is really f*cking with me... there are so many hooks in the thing that it wont leave me alone now... its like Jem set it on me when i said I was dissapointed by the album and now it has me by the throat... call it off please.

Still dont like the drum machine in secret song but like secret song... still dont like the drum machine in welcome to nowhere but quite like welcome to nowhere...

So the only thing I really dont like is the awkward way that Dear dead Days flows into Falling down... but part of that may be due to me having a 'not quite gapless' mp3 player... Like the new start to Wonderland... for some reason it makes the 2 parts of it sit together nicer, which is bizarre. Still not a fan of the non instrumental bits on EIMA but at last i think i finally 'Get' Dec and the wonderful Job he actually does on this album in contrast to the other vocals... note contrast... not harmonies which I still dont like much. But I do like Jems vocals very much... and the others.

and I still dislike the sodding Drum machines!

It may not be what I'm used to but it is the very nature of Prog to change, to move,  is it not... We progsters spend far too long standing still and licking the wounds caused by the modern generation of music.

apologies again.... now will you call off Toys please....

I'm really sorry for you guys who dont have your copies yet.... I hope its all sorted really soon...

ecky p

No post,no album,no t-shirt...no happy,no shit.
But there\'s nothing more to say

Lerxst

Falling Down - best thing I've heard for years.
Rest of the album is simply class but FD is the one that gets my vote....today.
  :P

Beano

Toys closely followed by Saline (especially the end bit) closely closely followed by Falling Down which is stupendously closely followed by the vocals with their beautiful harmony on Welcome to Nowhere at 3:55 which even closer than a close thing followed by itself...the song that is.

But this list will have changed by this time tomorrow.

Rx

P.S

drum machines are ace, as are drummers, as are lots of things that make bits of air move about at anyting from 20 Hz and 20,000 Hz

Sean

Dear Dead Days, and most certainly after that is Saline. When Saline hits the last chorus part it's simply amazing!
[size=150]Carpe Diem[/size]

Drarok

I can't choose right now, but I really really love the strings and vocal melody at the end of Saline. And so many other bits and bobs, been listening non-stop. :D

Djm

Yesterday, it was Dear Dead Days, but today it's Toys.

This is going to be difficult.  Dammit, Jem!
No extra charge. \";)\"

Dodie

My CD hasn't arrived yet (ordered via CRS, but like an idiot I didn't keep a note of the order reference, so I'm having faith that all will be well). But, gullible sucker that I am, I couldn't wait and so over the weekend downloaded EIMA from Play.com.

My favourite song is "Dear Dead Days", without doubt. I also really like "EIMA" and "Falling Down" a lot. But the whole album has a lot of great moments. I'm only on my fourth or fifth listen so far, so I'm obviously a lightweight. Not that my verdict matters much, but my overall view is that the production is better than "Milliontown" (which I loved, btw; I'm not saying that MT was badly produced). I especially like Jem's piano parts; really nicely recorded, and the actual notes being played are pretty good too - they often bring a dimension of subtlety and contrast to proceedings :-) Also, the sound of the drums is an improvement.

I like the album a lot, but I can see where some of those disappointed by it are coming from. I don't share that view, but I can understand it. For me, my only quibbles are that 'full-tilt' instrumental sections are often relentless / hyperactive (which is fine!), but I miss some of the lyrical / melodic soloing that was such a good feature of BLM and MT on the previous album. This isn't as much an issue of overall song-length as themes being given a little more breathing space to develop and flourish. Perhaps a little more balance between that and the condensed intensity might have been possible? Then again Jem obviously had an overall vision of what he wanted this album to say about Frost* now, so it's all cool...

I wonder about the running order: it seems to me that the closing moments of "Wonderland" end the album in such a way that it peeters out. That runs the risk of  being anticlimactic, though I don't suppose there's any official rule that a modern prog album has to climax with a grandstand finale featuring soaring grandiose musical euphoria stimulating aural elation, whilst accompanied by a 90-piece orchestra and cathedral organ, with visual support from a procession of a thousand marching elephants, lasers and fireworks.

Just my (less than) tuppence worth...

Peace and love

David

James_S

Quote from: "Dodie"My CD hasn't arrived yet (ordered via CRS, but like an idiot I didn't keep a note of the order reference, so I'm having faith that all will be well). But, gullible sucker that I am, I couldn't wait and so over the weekend downloaded EIMA from Play.com.

If you go onto the CRS website, there should be details of your order in "My Account".

However, all that seems to be irrelevant, as the order number doesn't get passed onto TLD - send her a PM with your name and address, and she'll be able to confirm your order for you :D
So many keyboards, so little time!