Travelling at the speed of prog

Started by JimD, January 27, 2012, 05:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

At the end of "Sometimes", Peel gig, Dec says "Thank you so much" in a very similar way.
I used to have a signature

Pedro

Quote from: "Mikey"At the end of "Sometimes", Peel gig, Dec says "Thank you so much" in a very similar way.
Quite right, sir.
I'm 100% convinced the first voice is Dec, I'm just baffled by the "echo" because :-
    a) I don't think there would have been any needed for that song,
    b) I don't think that front of house were likely to "forget" and leave it faded up,
    c) I don't think Jem would leave such a "mistake" in the mix, and
    d) they are all such scamps and rascals that taking the mickey out of Dec's high voice is not beyond any of them!
:)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

tranztek

I've been playing DTs Dramatic Turn Of Events up and down from Christchurch to Ipswich since it came out, only being replaced on the last journey with ZZ Tops 'Rhythmeen' and Al Di Meola's ' Consequence of chaos' CDs.

Jem

Funnily enough I remember hearing it onstage and thinking "that was odd". It was Marky Mark Westwood who did the sound for us and I think he left the delay line open.

I left it in coz it reminded me of those classic 70's live albums like Seconds Out or Supertramp Live in Paris. Just a bit of atmosphere really.

Pedro

Well, well, echo it was. Thanks for that, guv.  :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Mouse

My production training must have sunk in, because my head is screaming with pedantic 'delay is not echo' shouts and arm waving. Of course, by putting that here I do become the pedant I initially wanted to avoid making the aquaintance of. Fer feck's sake, shut up man...  :roll:  :lol:  Anyone wanna slap me about the face with a wet fish stuffed with brick? Please do.

Anyways, when I go for my evening walks that sometimes take place in the afternoon, I usually clock up about four miles in an hour-ish. My tool for reading this incredibly accurate measure is whatever album I decide to listen to while I'm a-strolling along. Most albums tend to last about an hour, so if I get back home before it's finished, I win! Or something.

I've had quite a few moments of synchronicity where music and life line up nicely. Most of them I've found rather spiritual. I remember listening to No-Man's Truenorth while out walking at night. I was walking by Hull's only submarium (or 'aquarium' for the rest of the universe) when the song entered the third section and all of the lights in the car park went out. I looked up and saw a beautiful clear sky full of sparkling stars as Tim Bowness crooned "Sweet surrender to the night" in my ears. That was nice. Some other times are just pleasant matches of place and sound, like last week when I was listening to the Marillion track Afraid Of Sunlight. I was walking down the street (I sure do a lot of walking for a small fat chap) and turned round just as the chorus exploded to be hit in the face by a glorious sun blazing through the cloud. That made me smile.

Maybe I should shut up and go for a walk since I love them so much. We now return you to your original thread.

JimD

Wow, the repeating Dec mystery is solved!  Excellent.

QuoteI've had quite a few moments of synchronicity where music and life line up nicely

Oh yes.  Me too.

I used to have a walk that lined up really nicely with Tubular Bells.  I made a minidisc of it (it was 1999 after all) and I would start TB at the bottom on my portable player and I'd get to the top of a particular hill if I'd timed it right just as it would "rev up" at about 4.20, and that would feel reliably spiritual in a "wow, man" sort of way.  Combining that bit of music with countryside in bloom and evening sunshine is a very good mix in fact.

I was also driving up the M40 once to a Saturday rehearsal in Birmingham and listening to "Rock Bottom" by UFO.  Just as Michael Schenker was blistering yet more paint with flurries of unfathomably awesome notes I passed a lorry with "Schenker Distribution" written on the side.  It was surely some sort of sign so I bought a lottery ticket and...didn't win.  Hey ho.
About Me
Secret line! Who can see this? PM me!

Mikey

My newer van has an MP3 player, (as opposed to all UPS vans which are progless) Was on road yesterday to the sound of Arena all day. Didn't even get round to playing all the tracks

Mikey

Quote from: "Pedro"Well, well, echo it was. Thanks for that, guv.  :)
Oo, oo , oo, I got a music question right

Mikey

43 Arena tracks today, had a radio that didn't keep going to Radio 4 every time I stopped, just paused, everytime I went into 1st gear  :?
Working in Leeds and back home for 16.00, UPS would have a fit  :lol:

JimD

I've developed quite a thing for vans recently.  What are you driving?
About Me

Mikey

Mercs for the past 2 days. Stolen from DHL.

My van is a Nemo, yes,  ha, ha, ha, ha,

Does have a Schenker connection though

JimD

QuoteMy van is a Nemo, yes, ha, ha, ha, ha,

Hey, my main wheels are (attached to) a Citroen C1.  I'm not laughing!

I used to think Schenker's Captain Nemo was quite the coolest song when I was about 15.  I had "Rock Will Never Die" and it was a great opener.
About Me

Mikey

Quote from: "JimD"Schenker's Captain Nemo
'Tis brilliant.

Have some van pics that i'll put on my blog.

JimD

Was listening to my newly-acquired copy of "The Whirlwind" by Transatlantic (thanks for the Amazon tip-off Pedro  :) ) whilst driving south on the M1 today and noticed that Track 7 began just as I passed junction 41. Seemed like a good place to start counting and...it would have got me all the way to just past Sheffield Woodall Services, had I not stopped at Sheffield Woodall Services!

Pretty good driving music but I opted to listen to DN#9 for the remainder of the journey for some variety.
About Me