Started by gareth, January 13, 2009, 12:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacingHippo

*raises hand*
Musicians: 9
Partick Thistle: 1
* May contain nuts.

Bokkie

Never been to the Peel, don't like to swim :)
I do something with sticks and hitting round objects.
Musician = 10
Non-musician = 1
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

Nellie

Musician = 10
Non musician (and proud) =2
It's in the post!

Gig Buddy

Dr. Feelgood factor 10% milk...

Pedro

Quote from: "Bokkie"Never been to the Peel, don't like to swim :)
I do something with sticks and hitting round objects.
Musician = 10
Non-musician = 1
Shouldn't that be :-
Musician = 9
Non-musician = 1
Snooker player = 1
 ;)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

gareth

Hah, thanks for the responses people.
And apologies for the poorly worded original post.

I should have clarified that my point was less about reproducing existing music live, and more about the fact that i'm about to record and put together an album and I don't know how to approach it, and if I should care about live reproducing at this point.

And I figured i'd ask here, because if any band throws that caution to the wind, it's Frost. Not that they don't pull it off well, but from the videos i've seen (live ones and some of the old geek reports), it seems that there's a definite discipline and a struggle to get the live music to a decent enough level to represent the album music.

If that makes any sense.

Jem

I couldn't do it without the half a gigabyte of sample RAM in my Fantom, put it that way.  ;)

Bert

I used to sing in my own band.

Don't know whether that counts, but what the hell

Musician = 13
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

Bokkie

Quote from: "gareth"Hah, thanks for the responses people.

I should have clarified that my point was less about reproducing existing music live, and more about the fact that i'm about to record and put together an album and I don't know how to approach it, and if I should care about live reproducing at this point.

And I figured i'd ask here, because if any band throws that caution to the wind, it's Frost. Not that they don't pull it off well, but from the videos i've seen (live ones and some of the old geek reports), it seems that there's a definite discipline and a struggle to get the live music to a decent enough level to represent the album music.

If that makes any sense.

It's a head-breaker for sure, but after some contemplating i will say this; It depends on the attitude of the other members of your band. If there are any questions raising regarding your input and the way you want to record it and assuming that is the primary topic of the discussion, i fear that a life reproduction would be difficult.
If the attitude of your fellow members would be something like this:" That sounds F**king great, let's do it" and the questions about live reproduction is secondary, then i think you could put a f**king awesome show on.

(sorry about my language)
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

tomskerous

Quote from: "Jem"I couldn't do it without the half a gigabyte of sample RAM in my Fantom, put it that way.  ;)

Mind you, if the stuff wasn't so bloody complex and textured in the first place you might not even need that. Bring back the S950 I say!
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

Mouse

leelustig

Quote from: "gareth"Hah, thanks for the responses people.

If that makes any sense.
Nah man, your original post wasn't worded poorly at all. I completely understood what you were trying to discuss, even though your question may have been a bit all over the place.

Either way, I can honestly say my band has fallen into the pit of having layer after layer and trying to re-do it live. Obviously some parts may not make it to the live version of the song, but you just have to include the most important layers, the layers that matter. You can only take something out if it doesn't make the part sound empty.

See THAT was poorly worded  :lol: but what I'm trying to get at is that when we do it, now that we've learned our lesson with writing music, we basically try to make the live version as close to the album recording as possible. If something can't be done for whatever reason (too many layers) than there must be a replacement that is equally as sonically interesting as the other part. The goal is to just keep your song from sounding 'empty' (if that makes any sense).

Hope that was helpful. If not, let me know, I'd love to discuss this further.
I've seen paupers as kings,
puppets on strings
dance for the children who stare
you must have seen them everywhere

GaryW

I play keyboards (although nowhere near the level of our great leader) in an electronic duo playing material that is a mix of NIN and Depeche Mode, so I suppose that makes me a muso.

Musician=15

vocalnick

Heh, I was going to go with hockey...

I'm in Australia, so no Frosty-gigs for me. But if there were, I'd be a musician, and I'd be at them :)
words that look like sound effects: twit, blog