Main Menu

HyperImagery

Started by tomskerous, November 07, 2008, 05:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomskerous

I've always been very impressed by the imagery in Jem's lyrics, particularly those to Hyperventilate.

The part where he talks about "Carry a sorrow to Colsterworth" - wow. That totally sums up the desparation you feel at that point on the A1, when you realise just how far you still have to go on your journey.

What are everyone else's favourite lines from Hyperventilate?
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

Gandalf1986

The most touching moment is when Jem moose whispers: "Red sky at night, laser guided"...

That is so touching...
You talk
You think you own me
You miss the point completely
These things I do they\'re not for you
I\'m sick and I\'m tired
Leave me alone...
[/b]

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - Pedro

AnsOnkruid

I like the secret backwards message.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

D S

Come on, you\'re a lion!

Beano

I like the bit where he gets the castrati to sing the lyrics

"scratch my belly while I touch my bum"

in the section where it goes and octave faster

Jem

You lot have gone up a gear since we moved. It's rather nice.  :lol:

johninblack

The line "Tea with two sugars and chocolate hob nobs if you please" shows such sensitivity and imagination.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Onanist

But....

"Push back on the bourbons till tea hath it's time"

defines the whole song to me.

catherine

I must admit that the "We are the Cheeky Girls" sample was rather a surprise the first time I heard it, but it's such an integral and beautifully engineered part of the whole oeuvre that I can't imagine it without it now.

PhilHarmonic

I must admit to be being rather concerned, as I had heard lyrics all the way through this, supposedly 'instrumantal' opus but didn't really want to mention it in case I got a visit from the 'men in white coats'.  However, now that I know I am not alone, what a weight off my mind!!

So, has anyone else heard the ''floats whispering through my cosmic underpants'' mantra that underlies the piano introduction?  It carries on until the BIG break at 2.14.  And then it returns again, and again, and again......

Weird - couldn't get it out of my head (and neither can you now!!)  Thanks, Jem - an inspiration.

Maybe Lerxst could throw some light on this as he seems to be cosmically linked to Jem in the underpant department? - see other post(s).
I play the right notes but not necessarily in the correct order

tomskerous

I'm right with you, the bit where the Bulgarian Choir drop in singing (oh, and it's bringing a tear to my eye before I've even typed it):

Pants
Grey pants
Not trousers
Not overcoats
Worn outside, worn inside
Headgear or handbags
Can you see why I left her?
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!