Main Menu

*NEW* DPRP Review

Started by Mickdoo22, December 07, 2008, 11:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyuwert

Is it just me or do both reviewers think the solo in Falling Down is actually JM? Also the second review mentioned a JM solo "near the end of Dear Dead Days"... nice foolin' em, Jem  :lol:

LivingForever

QuoteWonderland is very much in keeping with the style found on Milliontown. Following a typically dramatic (and rather mournful) orchestral intro, it skilfully builds from a simple piano ballad to a thumping, heavy approximation of that familiar tricksy section from Genesis' Apocalypse in 9/8 (from Supper's Ready) (clearly a Mitchell favourite... see my It Bites review!)

I don't even know where to start with what's wrong about this part of the review.

Elsewhere, the reveiwers succumb to every "prog hobbit" cliche under the sun -Wonderland is 15 minutes long therefore you'd think it was great but you'll be disappointed, Saline is a "Ballad", Toys, Pocket Sun and others are "a bit too pop for my liking", most of the tracks are too short therefore not valid enough

Gah!  :roll: I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a tribute album to the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway scores higher.
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

Geddy Lee

I am beginning to wonder if it's just me, or does everyone else think that everyone at DPRP are a bunch of WA***RS?

Just wondering thats all........
Be A Hero, Kill Your Ego

Dave M

WARS ?   :lol:

As Jem predicted, this album is challenging their preconceptions of what a prog rock album is .. the Hobbit Botherers wont like it, but music fans will see past their preconceptions and give it a fair listen and hopefully enjoy it for what it is .. bloody great music.

There's a reason Jem called it Experiments in Mass Appeal ... it's most definitely not a regurgitated early Genesis / Yes tribute album.
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

Dave M

These are funny reviews, I love these bits ...

"focusing more on the sort of insidious pop hooks which has no doubt made Godfrey a few pounds in his day job" ... there's more than a little jealousy in that statement .. I find the attitude of pop is bad and prog is good hilarious.

Then there's ... "the apparent dominance of Godfrey's keyboards and dance beats " .. I'd love to know what club he goes to for a dance  :lol:

Funny reviews that say more about their prejudice towards pop and Jem than they do about the album.

They both liked it though ... begrudgingly at the end .. it's those insidious, darned infectious, cunningly written pop hooks that just wont leave their hobbit infested heads .. there's hope for them yet !

I hope Jem is laughing, I suspect these are the reactions he was expecting.
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

gareth

Wow, what is with this Feakes guy constantly pointing out his own puns? I read 3 of his reviews before I had to close the browser to stop myself laughing so hard :roll:

He needs to read this.

gr8gonzo

Quote from: "Dave M"WARS ?   :lol:

As Jem predicted, this album is challenging their preconceptions of what a prog rock album is .. the Hobbit Botherers wont like it, but music fans will see past their preconceptions and give it a fair listen and hopefully enjoy it for what it is .. bloody great music.

There's a reason Jem called it Experiments in Mass Appeal ... it's most definitely not a regurgitated early Genesis / Yes tribute album.

He addresses this topic in that phone interview.  Who says prog has to sound like it has for the last 30 years?  If people really can't get their heads around that we may be forced to declare Frost* a genre unto itself.  And I rather like that genre, whatever the hell it is.  :mrgreen:
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Gandalf1986

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"He addresses this topic in that phone interview.  Who says prog has to sound like it has for the last 30 years?  If people really can't get their heads around that we may be forced to declare Frost* a genre unto itself.  And I rather like that genre, whatever the hell it is.  :mrgreen:

I call it supernewprogalicious! :mrgreen:
You talk
You think you own me
You miss the point completely
These things I do they\'re not for you
I\'m sick and I\'m tired
Leave me alone...
[/b]

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - Pedro

tomskerous

I particularly liked

QuoteI have a sneaking feeling that Godfrey is purposely distancing himself from the formulaic pop sound he's previously supplied for acts like Atomic Kitten, Gareth Gates and Blue.

Because, like, all those artists sounded the same. I mean, pop is all formulaic isn't it, not a hunt for the next think nobody's heard, the next hook or texture that will surprise and ensnare. Unlike prog of course WHICH HASN'T MOVED ON SINCE 1976!
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

James_S

Quote from: "eponymous"I'm reminded of the great hobbit outcry of 1983.  Yes' "90125" certainly rattled a few cages.

Its a shame it didn't rattle them a bit more - that album was a total breath of fresh air :)
So many keyboards, so little time!

LivingForever

There's nothing wrong with retro prog if that's what you're in the mood for, but failing to enjoy anything else is pretty sad if you ask me.

Not that the reviewers actually slated it as such but there was a lot of 'damning with faint praise'.

Lerxst

Quote from: "Geddy Lee"I am beginning to wonder if it's just me, or does everyone else think that everyone at DPRP are a bunch of WA***RS?

Just wondering thats all........

Umm....yes  :mrgreen:

johninblack

I have to wonder if it's possible for a reviewer to review the album in front of them without reviewing or mentioning "the day job"
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

LivingForever

If anything, it's influences from 'The Day Job' that make me enjoy Frost* more than other bands of a supposedly similar genre. Where else would you hear the type of ProTools trickery that you get in Black Light Machine or the 'everything under the sun in 3 minutes 30' of 'Toys'?