Main Menu

ELP Cover?

Started by geront, July 01, 2010, 04:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8gonzo

It makes a difference to me. Cheers!
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Airlie Frost

All I can say is unmentionable here, whats the harm in letting it be released on the cd?  Or is common(man) sense lost nowadays?
the clue is in the question?

Mouse

Quote from: "Mordwin"Whilst lawyers are no doubt involved, the ridiculous nature of modern copyright terms has a lot more to do with accountants me feels (and a certain mouse).

:shock:  What have I done now?

Pedders, a great idea that was to send a diplomatic, civilised Email. Thanks for doing that.  :)

Mordwin

Ah yes... should have typed "a certain *other* mouse" in these forums shouldn't I? ;)

And yes, thanks for taking the time to do that Pedro, difference or not.

L33VEY

Quote from: "Mordwin"And yes, thanks for taking the time to do that Pedro, difference or not.

Maybe we should ALL have a go?
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

Pedro

That's up to individuals I guess, as long as no-one says what they are really thinking! ;)
I won't post an address or anything that could look like 'incitement' (it's easy enough to find anyway).
We just need to remember we are talking about the custodians of the work of a seriously talented and revered composer. They don't need to care about prog. :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Phrog

I might fire off an email to them tomorrow. I'm coming from what I guess is a fairly different standpoint to some people here in that I've got a lot of love for Aaron Copland's work (just listen to Appalachian Spring), so maybe some arse-lickery can do the trick  :P

Mikey

Quote from: "Phrog"I've got a lot of love for Aaron Copland's work (just listen to Appalachian Spring),

Me too, & if you listen to Appalachian Spring you'll find that Mr. Copland used a familiar piece of music, which is also now part of 'Lord of the Dance'

Pot, Kettle, Black.

I don't think I've read all the posts re FFFTCM (or Pink Panther as the kids might have called it had they ever listened to it, which they can't have, as it doesn't exist) but am confused as to the real who, what, why and where.

:idea: Carl Palmer seems to have the key to all this as ELP, Asia, Qango and his own band all play FFFTCM, perhaps that nice Mr Palmer could explain the way around this
I used to have a signature

Mooncat

Quote:idea: Carl Palmer seems to have the key to all this as ELP, Asia, Qango and his own band all play FFFTCM, perhaps that nice Mr Palmer could explain the way around this

I don't think the 'live performance' of music is classed the same as a recorded work for the purposes of copyright
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

ChrisX

Quote from: "Mikey"Me too, & if you listen to Appalachian Spring you'll find that Mr. Copland used a familiar piece of music, which is also now part of 'Lord of the Dance'

Could it be that that particular bit is actually an old folk melody?
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

rogerg

Quote from: "ChrisX"
Quote from: "Mikey"Me too, & if you listen to Appalachian Spring you'll find that Mr. Copland used a familiar piece of music, which is also now part of 'Lord of the Dance'

Could it be that that particular bit is actually an old folk melody?

yes, "Simple Gifts" aka "The Shaker Hymn" is undoubtedly in the Public Domain.

geront

Quote from: "Mooncat"
Quote:idea: Carl Palmer seems to have the key to all this as ELP, Asia, Qango and his own band all play FFFTCM, perhaps that nice Mr Palmer could explain the way around this

I don't think the 'live performance' of music is classed the same as a recorded work for the purposes of copyright

Splendid then!  I look forward to it's inclusion in the new Frost Live DVD!!!!  Hey, so it wasn't on the play list, it just sorta happened, a spontaneous eruption of sorts! LOL :)
www.tonygeron.com

Frost bitten and flea ridden, a scoundrel and scholar betwixt...

Mooncat

QuoteMooncat wrote:

:idea: Carl Palmer seems to have the key to all this as ELP, Asia, Qango and his own band all play FFFTCM, perhaps that nice Mr Palmer could explain the way around this

Splendid then! I look forward to it's inclusion in the new Frost Live DVD!!!! Hey, so it wasn't on the play list, it just sorta happened, a spontaneous eruption of sorts! LOL :)

Ahh, but therein lies an issue in itself - as the DVD would be a recorded work and hence fall foul of the copywright laws I think??? :roll:
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Neilgwhite

Quote from: "Mooncat"
QuoteMooncat wrote:

Splendid then! I look forward to it's inclusion in the new Frost Live DVD!!!! Hey, so it wasn't on the play list, it just sorta happened, a spontaneous eruption of sorts! LOL :)

Ahh, but therein lies an issue in itself - as the DVD would be a recorded work and hence fall foul of the copywright laws I think??? :roll:

I am sure that Fanfare appears on the ELP set of last year's High Voltage, so that one theory trashed http://www.coverdude.com/cd-covers/2326 ... tival.html
Hello, is there anybody in there?............

geront

Ah drats!!  Bloody lawyers needed again it seems.  So do video copyright laws and music copyright laws fall under the same rule?  I suppose if it's sold for profit it does...  Could always switch to a minimum donation for a live performance DVD Gift from Sir Jem???  That way it's not sold for profit... :) Or perhaps a completely unofficial bootleg video of a live performance of the song?  :)  

For the love of music, let my song free!!!  Err, let Mr. Copeland's song free!!!!!  Umm, let Sir Godfrey's entirely new treatment of Mr. Copeland's song free!!!!  Where is WikiSongs when you need it????
www.tonygeron.com

Frost bitten and flea ridden, a scoundrel and scholar betwixt...