Frost* Headlining Celebr8.3 Sunday!!!

Started by Pedro, March 20, 2014, 11:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawtooth

Quote from: tigermoth on March 25, 2014, 08:45:07 AM
"I'm a bit ambivalent about this...

While it's always nice to see the guys on a live outing, part of me would rather them spend the time recording some new stuff..."

I can relate to that, or as someone said to me the other day when I made a point "Yes, that's relevant" to which I replied "Why thank you, i'm so glad you consider my poor words to be relevant". But I digress. Yes i'm also clammering for the next slice of frost cake, but it would be awesome for me to see them live as I haven't done so before. But knowing how things usually are, some or all of the abuv could apply:
1. i'll probably already have a gig,
2. I've not looked in to it yet but it's probably too far or too hard for me to get to,
3. If the last 2 don't apply I'll probably just um and ah about it for that long that it'll be sold out if it isn't already.
Keen observers will have noticed that logically all these possibilities could not exist. Further more that they were below and not abuv. Other less keen observers may have gone for a cup of tea.
However, it's great news and i'm going to do my best to make it. The current line up is growing on me the more I listen to the dvd and I quite like the more casual slightly stripped back sound. I think it could make for more fun recording and working methods and i'm V excitedd to see what the elusive new album will bring.
Good heavens, is that the time? I seem to have waffled again. Tara for now. :)

Well I'm hoping to go for the day, if not the whole weekend, so you are welcome to cadge a lift from me young Mothmeister!

tigermoth

May well take you up on that maate. Thanks a lot :)

Nellie

Have you any idea how much goes in to the preparation of an event like this? Not just the organisation but for each and every band involved rehearsing for weeks, the sound guys, the lighting guys, the stage manager not to mention all the promotion.
How about everyone makes an effort to go and see the bands they love at the gigs they bother to play at, otherwise there won't be any gigs for people to go and see them play at?
Rant over.
It's in the post!

rogerg

sawtooth

Quote from: Nellie on March 25, 2014, 10:56:08 PM
Have you any idea how much goes in to the preparation of an event like this? Not just the organisation but for each and every band involved rehearsing for weeks, the sound guys, the lighting guys, the stage manager not to mention all the promotion.
How about everyone makes an effort to go and see the bands they love at the gigs they bother to play at, otherwise there won't be any gigs for people to go and see them play at?
Rant over.

I agree to a point Nellie, and certainly when an event like this crops up I would make every effort to attend.

But...sometime crap things happen in life which get in the way of the fun things, like having no money, no transport, being ill etc. And yes, admittedly you need to have the enthusiasm

As an example, for me personally the Peel has put on loads of bands that I would have loved to have seen, but I feel it is a right royal pain in the a**e to get to from the Midlands, and necessitates getting a hotel room (more expense). Yes, I know many folks who live further away than me made regular pilgrimages to the venue, so maybe you could class me as a lazy / mean / uncommitted progger - and that may well be true - but the second time I came to the Peel for the Frost* AGM, having dragged my non-prog-loving wife down with me was a less than satisfying experience.
We, like many others, couldn't get anywhere NEAR the stage and had to listen from around the corner in the bar, which was a bit of a put off to be honest, cos I was REALLY looking forward to that gig and it - for me at least - quite took the shine off the whole live experience. At least we had the forum curry afterwards which was lush!

Other times, gigs simply come up at the wrong time, for me usually where funds are tight. I would love to have a bulging prog fund just waiting for the next Kate Bush gig to drop £150.00 on, but that is never gonna happen! Prog gigs, thankfully are usually much more reasonably priced than that, but I still have to pick and choose, based on budget, locality and my diary.

I do understand the effort and expense involved with staging a live gig - being a member of a prog band myself, and the disheartening feeling a low turnout can give is horrible.

When all is said and done, I know all the above is a bit painfully obvious, and it's not an excuse. It's just life innit?  But.....I will be going to this gig come hell or high water! :D

DueyC

Quote from: MarkOneMusic on March 24, 2014, 03:43:32 PM
While it's always nice to see the guys on a live outing, part of me would rather them spend the time recording some new stuff...

The reverse is true for me. CDs are just there to tide me over to the next gig  8)
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

turbo

Quote from: sawtooth on March 26, 2014, 03:26:13 PM
Rant over.

I agree to a point Nellie, and certainly when an event like this crops up I would make every effort to attend.

But...sometime crap things happen in life which get in the way of the fun things, like having no money, no transport, being ill etc. And yes, admittedly you need to have the enthusiasm

As an example, for me personally the Peel has put on loads of bands that I would have loved to have seen, but I feel it is a right royal pain in the a**e to get to from the Midlands, and necessitates getting a hotel room (more expense). Yes, I know many folks who live further away than me made regular pilgrimages to the venue, so maybe you could class me as a lazy / mean / uncommitted progger - and that may well be true - but the second time I came to the Peel for the Frost* AGM, having dragged my non-prog-loving wife down with me was a less than satisfying experience.
We, like many others, couldn't get anywhere NEAR the stage and had to listen from around the corner in the bar, which was a bit of a put off to be honest, cos I was REALLY looking forward to that gig and it - for me at least - quite took the shine off the whole live experience. At least we had the forum curry afterwards which was lush!

Other times, gigs simply come up at the wrong time, for me usually where funds are tight. I would love to have a bulging prog fund just waiting for the next Kate Bush gig to drop £150.00 on, but that is never gonna happen! Prog gigs, thankfully are usually much more reasonably priced than that, but I still have to pick and choose, based on budget, locality and my diary.

I do understand the effort and expense involved with staging a live gig - being a member of a prog band myself, and the disheartening feeling a low turnout can give is horrible.

When all is said and done, I know all the above is a bit painfully obvious, and it's not an excuse. It's just life innit?  But.....I will be going to this gig come hell or high water! :D

totally see where your comeing from sawtooth, although this gig is easy for me to get to [i literally live around the corner ] I can understand the problems it causes for other people, also i know bands depend on fans going to these gigs so they can survive which is why i do my best to go to as many shows as i can [no matter how near or far] but having said that personally i think i too would be happier with the band concentrating on there new album, which in no way will stop me going by the way.
?"By the beard of Zeus"

BrendanGee

Prog Rock Magazine's article on the announcement of Frost* headlining does say:
"It's the band's only planned show of the year, since they're busy working on their third studio album."

But all that aside, we all know it's gonna be a great gig so just enjoy it  :)
Bring on the Trumpets!

MikeEvs

Rant over.

Ticket+train+tube+hotel=£££ Also I am not the worlds biggest prog fan last year's Celebr8 taught me that 2 days of prog is too much for me and with only 2 bands on the bill over the weekend that I'd like to see I can't justify the cost for that.

I will be patient when it comes to Frost* and wait until there's a new album and they feel like playing a solo headline gig rather than a festival one, I realise that means waiting till next year.  I have tickets for other gigs to tide me over this year, like Within Temptation, The Devin Townsend Project and Lazuli & Moon Safari.

From a gig photography perspective I don't want to get locked into just photographing prog, the next gig I photograph will be Foreigner, Europe and FM.

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: MikeEvs on March 27, 2014, 04:33:07 PM
Rant over.

Ticket+train+tube+hotel=£££ Also I am not the worlds biggest prog fan last year's Celebr8 taught me that 2 days of prog is too much for me and with only 2 bands on the bill over the weekend that I'd like to see I can't justify the cost for that.

I will be patient when it comes to Frost* and wait until there's a new album and they feel like playing a solo headline gig rather than a festival one, I realise that means waiting till next year.  I have tickets for other gigs to tide me over this year, like Within Temptation, The Devin Townsend Project and Lazuli & Moon Safari.

From a gig photography perspective I don't want to get locked into just photographing prog, the next gig I photograph will be Foreigner, Europe and FM.

Ooh, I understood your position until that last sentence, Mike  :o

Rook

Rant over.
I can promise to see any gig Frost* does that is within 800 miles of me...

MikeEvs

Quote from: Trapezium Artist on March 27, 2014, 11:02:57 PM
Rant over.

What would you like me to explain for you ;)

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: MikeEvs on March 28, 2014, 08:17:48 AM
Quote from: Trapezium Artist on March 27, 2014, 11:02:57 PM
Rant over.

What would you like me to explain for you ;)

No, no; no need. I wouldn't dare stand between a man and his hair bands, especially when said man is the proud possessor of such a fine head of Pippin locks himself ...  8)

Twang

With the confirmation of Anathama Acoustic as Very Special Guests on Saturday May 31st, the final lineup for Celebr8.3 is now complete.

Celebr8.3 takes place at The Islington Assembly Hall on Saturday 31st of May and Sunday 1st of June Doors Open at 1.00pm and the full lineup in order of appearance is:

Saturday May 31st
Twelfth Night
Thumpermonkey
Karmakanic
Anathama Acoustic
The Tangent

Sunday June 1st
Galahad,
Sanguine Hum
Cosmograf
The Fierce and The Dead
Frost*

All Earlybird tickets have sold out but weekend tickets are available from www.themerchdesk.com at £75.00
The new Celebr8 website will be up shortly at www.celebr8live.com  ;D

rogerg