Main Menu

KORG X-50

Started by XeRocks81, January 26, 2009, 06:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XeRocks81

I decided to get the X-50 as my first real synth.   I didn't want to go too expensive right out of the gate and it seemed a sensible choice.  Does anyone here have any experience with it?  From the demos I heard it seems to have some good sounds.

Gandalf1986

It's quite comfy to fly with...
You talk
You think you own me
You miss the point completely
These things I do they\'re not for you
I\'m sick and I\'m tired
Leave me alone...
[/b]

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - Pedro

XeRocks81

the image isn't showing up bro, but I assume it's a flying apparatus of some sort?   nice.

Pedro

You can see the image by (on a PC) looking at the properties of the image - this contains the url of the jpg and you can copy/paste this into a browser address bar et voila, Bob's your Firkin.

Or, you can wait for Gandalf to resolve it.

I was going to copy the image to my photobucket account and then re-post it here but where's the challenge in that?  :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

rogerg

Quote from: "Pedro"You can see the image by (on a PC) looking at the properties of the image - this contains the url of the jpg and you can copy/paste this into a browser address bar et voila, Bob's your Firkin.

Or, you can wait for Gandalf to resolve it.

I was going to copy the image to my photobucket account and then re-post it here but where's the challenge in that?  :)

I looked at the source for the page, and found the pic-url that way.

sweet ride.

Geetar

What the ss&d is that thing?
This space for sale.

XeRocks81

so nobody's familiar with that synth? (he desperately asks)

Pajter

I started out with a Korg R3 (I'm not a fulltime key player), but I must admit it still serves some purpose for me. Pretty nice little thing, especially for the price.

I don't know about the X-50 though, sorry. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

leelustig

Quote from: "XeRocks81"so nobody's familiar with that synth? (he desperately asks)
YES. (Sorry I took so long to see this thread)

The X-50 happens to be sitting in front of me right this second. It is one of my primarily used synths. Pretty damn good piece of equipment. While there are some amplification issues I have with it, the sounds are top notch.

What would you like to know about it?
I've seen paupers as kings,
puppets on strings
dance for the children who stare
you must have seen them everywhere

XeRocks81

Quote from: "leelustig"
Quote from: "XeRocks81"so nobody's familiar with that synth? (he desperately asks)

The X-50 happens to be sitting in front of me right this second. It is one of my primarily used synths. Pretty damn good piece of equipment. While there are some amplification issues I have with it, the sounds are top notch.

Thanks!

Most of the reviews I've read all seem to say that sounds are great but the materials feel very cheap, wich would explain it's apparent lightness.  Would that be your assessment as well?   And as far as the key action, reviews go from horrible to ok but nothing special.  For me I'm buying it for the sounds really, but I will occasionally carry it around for a gig (very rare though) so while I know It's not very sturdy I'm hoping it'll survive the odd gig.

leelustig

Quote from: "XeRocks81"

Thanks!

Most of the reviews I've read all seem to say that sounds are great but the materials feel very cheap, wich would explain it's apparent lightness.  Would that be your assessment as well?   And as far as the key action, reviews go from horrible to ok but nothing special.  For me I'm buying it for the sounds really, but I will occasionally carry it around for a gig (very rare though) so while I know It's not very sturdy I'm hoping it'll survive the odd gig.
Well, yes the lightness of it definitely could be considered cheap but I really like the fact that its light. I mean I use it for every gig and it sure makes carrying around a lot easier.
The key action is good I mean I wouldn't use the word 'horrible' unless it really just sucked. I will admit that the key action on Roland keyboards is much better. In fact they probably have the best. But honestly if you're going to use your unit for a more 'synthy' purpose, you're not going to need to worry about key action. It's only when i use grand piano sounds that I wish the key action were a bit better. I think they don't spring up as fast as others do. But like I said it depends on what sounds you use. Some times it absolutely doesn't matter.
Definitely a sturdy unit aswell. Only complaint I have is the power cable. It sometimes comes out very easily (don't know if its just mine). In fact once during a gig it fell out and I was playing silence for a whole minute! You can imagine how stupid I must've looked. Funny but nobody even noticed  :mrgreen:

Either way it is a good keyboard. if you're trying to be a Jem Godfrey and do some serious programming and sampling, I would've went with a Fantom by Roland. But if you're just looking for some easy to use basic synth sounds and good orchestra patches (stuff like that) then you picked a good model. It is definitely the best 'cheap' Korg out there.
puppets on strings

XeRocks81

Quote from: "XeRocks81"

Thanks!

Well, yes the lightness of it definitely could be considered cheap but I really like the fact that its light. I mean I use it for every gig and it sure makes carrying around a lot easier.
The key action is good I mean I wouldn't use the word 'horrible' unless it really just sucked. I will admit that the key action on Roland keyboards is much better. In fact they probably have the best. But honestly if you're going to use your unit for a more 'synthy' purpose, you're not going to need to worry about key action. It's only when i use grand piano sounds that I wish the key action were a bit better. I think they don't spring up as fast as others do. But like I said it depends on what sounds you use. Some times it absolutely doesn't matter.
Definitely a sturdy unit aswell. Only complaint I have is the power cable. It sometimes comes out very easily (don't know if its just mine). In fact once during a gig it fell out and I was playing silence for a whole minute! You can imagine how stupid I must've looked. Funny but nobody even noticed  :mrgreen:

Either way it is a good keyboard. if you're trying to be a Jem Godfrey and do some serious programming and sampling, I would've went with a Fantom by Roland. But if you're just looking for some easy to use basic synth sounds and good orchestra patches (stuff like that) then you picked a good model. It is definitely the best 'cheap' Korg out there.

THanks again!  Yeah being a fan of Frost* and having followed the reports all last year I of course had my eye on the Fantom G (Roland must love him for all this publicity) but I decided to go with something less expensive first. My next purchase will likely be an mbox2 with Pro Tools.

leelustig

Oh hell yeah. Get Protools. Don't even THINK of going with Logic. thats what my band uses and i honestly hate that program with every inch of my body. that program fucks with you. you'll open a song project file one day and everything will just be ruined. it's crazy. protools is much more stable.

Either way, one day when you're more familiar with recording you should definitely invest in a Fantom. My first synthesizer I ever bought was a Fantom-S (about 6-7 years ago) and I wasn't even ready for it. but now I fully appreciate its capabilities, as outdated as it may be. Then I started paying attention to the frost reports and I noticed how much the Fantom has evolved. Now it's literally a magic wand. You can do wonders with the G model.
puppets on strings

rogerg

then again, some of us like Logic quite a bit.   :P

leelustig

I mean I use Logic, I'm trapped with it, but its fuckin evil  :twisted:
puppets on strings