Frost* Forum Collab Song - the Discussion thread (TDT!)

Started by El_Mayonnaise, August 02, 2010, 02:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.S.

OlliR

Ooh, I would love to contribute. I have to search my library-o-riffs to see if there is something frost* forum worthy stuff  :D
My desparate cry for attention, //http://www.soundcloud.com/ollipr

RWA

I've just signed up to SoundCloud. That's an excellent place for a project like this. You can post public and private clips there and can drop comments and notes on the song image file itself.

Anyway, I would love to do something like this on 2 terms:
1 - There has to be some progress during the project. It shouldn't have to take years
2 - let's not make it anything serious! It has to reflect the spirit of this board, remember?!  ;)

Pedro

The trouble I keep running into with the the thing I was trying to do is that it needs to be fully conceived before it can be worked on (the track needed full structure, click-track and guide chords/vocal).
It takes me FOREVER to get a project fully fleshed out...and that's when I'm reworking someone else's piece!  :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

gr8gonzo

Quote from: "RWA"There has to be some progress during the project. It shouldn't have to take years

:oops:  the kids go back to school in two weeks. I should have some time then.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

RWA

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"
Quote from: "RWA"There has to be some progress during the project. It shouldn't have to take years

Wasn't refering to that directly but it's a good example of how things can die in the process. If anyone wants to collab then make sure you deliver something within reasonable time. If you can't deliver... then .... don't participate.

I have some collaborating experience obviously and it's important promises are met otherwise it leaves everyone frustrated/dissapointed in the end.

Right!  :)

Your part is very usable Pedro. (Harhar!). No really, I think it would be nice it everyone did a section. Like building an epic with weird hooks and angles. It's prog so it can go anywhere. If anyone does 2 to 3 minutes it could end up being its own Milliontown in the end.

I have some ideas about a wacky intro that leads into your part (har!) Pedro. So it would be:
Part 1 - RWA
Part 2 - Pedro
Part 3 - the next genius!

Of course we can help eachother out finishing eachother parts (har!). Like one person doing the bass for the entire song or one drummer that does all the drums for all the part.

I'm more then wiling to take "the lead" in this. Not like a boss but like someone who keeps track of everything and puts the parts together. :)

rogerg

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"

hush, you.

Pedro

Cool.
It would be great if someone like yourself, Ron, could try to herd the cats on this. I know what you mean by "not like a boss" but I would hope for someone just to make good-eared selections.

I wouldn't donate anything to the project if I wasn't prepared for it to be binned and this would be even easier to accept if the arbiter is a boney fido published muso, like your good self.  :)

So, if we are in business then I would want to give my part (har!) a bit of a polish (har!) for the actual thing.

Shall I put up a decent copy of just the electric piano intro bit as the first part (har!) or do we want the first "verse" as well?

How should parts (har!) be delivered? Separate wav files?

I imagined this being an iterative process where the sections are contributed and stitched together and then, when the shape of the piece (har!) is revealed (can you see what it is yet?) people might get a better feel (har!) for, say, an entire bass part (har!) that maybe fits better.

NOTE: The word "part" (har!) will be mercilessly moderated in this thread to ensure that the mandatory suffix "(har!)" is applied. An innuendometer index rating of 0.125 should be maintained throughout. ;)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

RWA

It will eventually turn out like this:

No seriously.
Yes, wav. parts are good but my experience is that working with mp3's is just fine as long as a track is still in progress.

I seriously think a SoundCloud account would be perfect. I set up a Frost Forum SoundCloud Collab Account (a so called FFSCCA....) and anyone who's collaborating gets the log in info from me so we can all put our stuff (har!) up there. I believe the "drop comments on the track" feature over there is excellent. You know, to point out certain sections (har!) or to explain what the hell you're trying to descibe.

Let me think about the details for a day, k?

In the meantime Pedro (har) send me the parts you've got so far. Preferably seperate.
You've got my e-mail address, right?!

In fact.... if anyone has anything to contribute then please do. I'll see if I can merge some sections together with Sonic Prog Glue XXL. Let's make this something crazy!

Possible project title: Har Parts!  :|

gr8gonzo

Quote from: "RWA"Possible project title: Har Parts!  :|

Heh [©2010 Roger Grow]

Love the idea of the project. There are a lot of talented people 'round these (har) parts.

johninblack

I could maybe donate some Bass..............if I can remember how to play the bloody thing. :shock:
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

gr8gonzo

RWA has set up the FFCA over on SoundCloud. Of course, it's just a little FFCA now, but once a project catches fire, it'll be a hot little FFCA. Working together, we can make it the big FFCA I know it can be.

I may be inspired to start Musicians Uniquely Talented Helpers Account (MUTHA) and, who knows, maybe one day we'll do a joint project.

RWA

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"RWA has set up the FFCA over on SoundCloud. Of course, it's just a little FFCA now, but once a project catches fire, it'll be a hot little FFCA. Working together, we can make it the big FFCA I know it can be.

I may be inspired to start Musicians Uniquely Talented Helpers Account (MUTHA) and, who knows, maybe one day we'll do a joint project.
(PKIS,K?!)

*please keep it serious, k ?!"  ;)

gr8gonzo

That's why I posted on this thread and not the official one. Just a bit of silliness, sorry. Not trying to upset anyone. =)

RWA

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"That's why I posted on this thread and not the official one. Just a bit of silliness, sorry. Not trying to upset anyone. =)
I'm just messing with you Gonzo!  :lol:
Sorry, I didn't try to upset you! This is indeed the thread for talks and sidetracks!  :)