Circuit Bending/Stylophones!

Started by gav, October 29, 2010, 07:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gav

Hi all,
I know that Jem has already said quite a lot about his like of circuit bent gear, and that a certain Hippo made that lefty stylophone, but I was wondering about how many people on this forum are into modding their own gear, and what they have done to it?
I'm currently starting to circuit bend my stylophone and have already found a way to extend the range of the tuning pot to the piont where you can make it so low that you can't hear it any more! :twisted:
I'll report back with more info on the project soon.
So, any soldering iron equipped nutters out there?
Broadband! A whole 2.5MB of it!

Mouse

I'm terrified of all that stuff. It's against nature.  :P  However, if I knew I could do it without destroying everything I touched, I definitely would have a go. It's very cool.  8-)

RacingHippo

Have a look at the Stylophonica forum for modding reports. I didn't post my StyLeftophone mod there as it didn't exist at the time. Perhaps I ought to do one retrospectively.
* May contain nuts.

MarkOneMusic

Trouble is, I've yet to hear any circuit bent gear that doesn't just sound er, well like some broken old bit of tat...No, wait... Ah! that would be because that's basically what it is.

Whilst the odd enharmonic distorted beep here and there might add some textural stuff, it ain't ever going to shake the foundations like a self-oscillating Moog filter can, or a wall of detuned saws, a'la Roland, or a lead that can drill through concrete like my little Prophecy can...

I know, I'm a luddite...  But the idea of a stepped on speak and spell crackling out what might once have been phonemes just doesn't really cut it...

... I'll get me coat. :(

gav

I know it's probably never going to make my stylophone sound like a Moog, but I just see circuit bending as a bit of techy fun! Which is why I've fitted a scart socket to the back of my stylophone, so that I can run the 'bent' signals to a seperate break-out box with all of the switches and pots in it, so that when it isn't connected, I've still got a bog standard stylophone.

Good times.
Broadband! A whole 2.5MB of it!

Mikey

Quote from: gav on October 31, 2010, 08:45:01 PM
I know it's probably never going to make my stylophone sound like a Moog, but I just see circuit bending as a bit of techy fun! Which is why I've fitted a scart socket to the back of my stylophone, so that I can run the 'bent' signals to a seperate break-out box with all of the switches and pots in it, so that when it isn't connected, I've still got a bog standard stylophone.

Good times.
Do what?
I used to have a signature

RacingHippo

I notice he's playing it left-handed.
Jem WILL be pleased! (And it saves me having to hack it into a Southpaw version. Damn.)
* May contain nuts.

DueyC

The boss is going to have SO much fun with that  ;D
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk