Main Menu

Drums.

Started by SpainFrostie, September 04, 2012, 01:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpainFrostie

Hi, I'm SpainFrostie and I would to learn Milliontown drums. Could anybody give me an advice or help me?  :)

Rook

Hi SpainFrostie and welcome to the board. What is your fave biscuit?

Advice for learning to play Milliontown drums? Practice, practice, practice! Sorry - maybe someone else will have some more helpful advice. I'm guessing you have looked at all the live clips on youtube and all that.

Pedro

Gosh, that is a big question. I don't know if we can summon the mighty Craig Blundell for advice?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Mikey

Quote from: "SpainFrostie"Hi, I'm SpainFrostie and I would to learn Milliontown drums. Could anybody give me an advice or help me?  :)
Hola SpainFrostie, Which neck of Spain are you in?
Welcome aboard
I used to have a signature

RacingHippo

Hola, Frost*ie de España!

Surprisingly, I've never actually attempted Milliontown on the kit. (Although I frequently play it on my steering wheel ;))

The one critical thing to remember about all of the tracks on Milliontown-the-album is that Jem started out with a programmed drum part on them and Andy Edwards played over the top of it... and in some places the original programmed part still remains. This is evident most particulary in the chorus of No Me No You where there's half-open hi-hat on fours, a syncopated ride and snare off the beat. You need three hands to do that* ;)

So for learning purposes, I'd listen to it live. Either Nick d'Virgilio's take on it on The Philadelphia Experiment or one from YouChoooob (Here's a bit of Andy Edwards, the original drummer, doing it in 08). Only problem is the audio on YouTube clips is usually a bit pants due to mobile phones and consumer cameras not having the seriously pro-quality mics necessary to capture drums authentically (you'd think they'd have sorted it out by now ;) ), but it might help with those "how the hell did he do that" moments!

One day I'll have a crack at it myself (and probably video it) but it ain't gonna happen any day soon as I'm just way too busy with work at the mo.

Good luck, and if you DO crack it, let us see!!

* Although you can almost do it by using left hand on hi-hat, right hand doing ride and snare - I've tried it and it works!
* May contain nuts.

SpainFrostie

Quote from: "Mikey"
Quote from: "SpainFrostie"Hi, I'm SpainFrostie and I would to learn Milliontown drums. Could anybody give me an advice or help me?  :)
Welcome aboard
Hi, I'm from Murcia  ;)

SpainFrostie

Quote from: "RacingHippo"Hola, Frost*ie de España!

Surprisingly, I've never actually attempted Milliontown on the kit. (Although I frequently play it on my steering wheel ;))

The one critical thing to remember about all of the tracks on Milliontown-the-album is that Jem started out with a programmed drum part on them and Andy Edwards played over the top of it... and in some places the original programmed part still remains. This is evident most particulary in the chorus of No Me No You where there's half-open hi-hat on fours, a syncopated ride and snare off the beat. You need three hands to do that* ;)

So for learning purposes, I'd listen to it live. Either Nick d'Virgilio's take on it on The Philadelphia Experiment or one from YouChoooob (Here's a bit of Andy Edwards, the original drummer, doing it in 08). Only problem is the audio on YouTube clips is usually a bit pants due to mobile phones and consumer cameras not having the seriously pro-quality mics necessary to capture drums authentically (you'd think they'd have sorted it out by now ;) ), but it might help with those "how the hell did he do that" moments!

One day I'll have a crack at it myself (and probably video it) but it ain't gonna happen any day soon as I'm just way too busy with work at the mo.

Good luck, and if you DO crack it, let us see!!

* Although you can almost do it by using left hand on hi-hat, right hand doing ride and snare - I've tried it and it works!

Thanks, at the moment I'm playing songs like "Deliverance" (Opeth) or "The Dance of Eternity" (Dream Theater). Milliontown is a song which I want to practice with enough time. At the moment, I'm playing it in my free time because I'm starting with a new group and they don't want to play a song of 26 minutes hahaha.
I'm going to search videos in youtube and I will try to get a nice nevel. Thanks you so much for everything. When I can play Milliontown, I will posted it here

Mikey

Quote from: "SpainFrostie"
Welcome aboard
Hi, I'm from Murcia  ;)
Which neck of Murcia?

SpainFrostie

Quote from: "SpainFrostie"
Welcome aboard
Hi, I'm from Murcia  ;)
Which neck of Murcia?
Alhama de Murcia hahaha, Why?

Mikey

My location says Dewsbury & Sucina, so not a million miles away

MTBDude

Also, check out this.  TBE does quite a good job of making sure the camera is on him. Linky

mr_john

Quote from: "MTBDude"Also, check out this.  TBE does quite a good job of making sure the camera is on him. Linky

Had forgotten about that video! With the Wonders of Blunders, it's easy to forget TBE's chops and contributions to the early F*. Great stuff.