Heads up Italy!! Frost* are coming!!

Started by Pedro, November 11, 2016, 07:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owen

Sorry TA I don't do  vinyl I'm afraid

Trapezium Artist

DueyC

I've got the vinyl...just trying to work out the best way to get it onto a digital format...
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

Mikey

Quote from: DueyC on January 19, 2017, 05:51:43 PM
I've got the vinyl...just trying to work out the best way to get it onto a digital format...
If a copy accidentally made it my way.......................... 8)
I used to have a signature

Trapezium Artist

What kind of output does your record player have? Some newer ones have digital out, in addition to phono line out.

There are also converter boxes: I'm sure we could chip in (or maybe someone has one to lend).

But y'know, the boss could also just whizz us a copy of the original digital file and stop all this faffing  ::)

If all else fails, take a nice hi-res picture of the LP: we'll be able to analyse it and extract the audio signal from the grooves  :P

D S

I have the tech to do the transfer from vinyl to digital.  I just don't have the album in vinyl format!  :-[
Come on, you\'re a lion!

DueyC

Quote from: Trapezium Artist on January 20, 2017, 11:48:35 AM

What kind of output does your record player have? Some newer ones have digital out, in addition to phono line out.

It's a 1985 Linn Sondek, so not even remotely new. And the amp is also a good few years old, so I've only got phono outputs available.
I do have a macBook, a brand new Windows laptop and a minidisc recorder to hand - does anyone have any suggestions?

Yes, if the boss were to provide a copy of the original, that would be fab.  8)
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: DueyC on January 20, 2017, 04:33:34 PM

It's a 1985 Linn Sondek, so not even remotely new. And the amp is also a good few years old, so I've only got phono outputs available.
I do have a macBook, a brand new Windows laptop and a minidisc recorder to hand - does anyone have any suggestions?

Depends how old the Macbook is. I believe that those more than about 4 years old had a shared analogue headphone out _and_ analogue in, which could be used for microphones. If that fits your bill, then it's possible at least that you may be able to route the analogue sgnal from your amp to the Macbook and then record the music digitally with some app or other. Garageband should work, for example.

Doesn't work on newer MBP's though: needs a USB mike.

DueyC

Quote from: Trapezium Artist on January 20, 2017, 09:09:25 PM

Depends how old the Macbook is. I believe that those more than about 4 years old had a shared analogue headphone out _and_ analogue in, which could be used for microphones. If that fits your bill, then it's possible at least that you may be able to route the analogue sgnal from your amp to the Macbook and then record the music digitally with some app or other. Garageband should work, for example.

Well that was frustrating. I found the requisite leads to get the signal from the amp (DIN) to mini jack, but neither of my laptops had an input, and the macbook, although it's old enough and had the appropriate settings, wasn't receiving it in Garageband. It works with the minidisc recorder, but for some bizarre reason, it's only recording the right channel, even though it was passing both channels through to the headphones as I was monitoring it.

Back to the drawing board... :-\

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: DueyC on January 21, 2017, 09:43:05 PM
Quote from: Trapezium Artist on January 20, 2017, 09:09:25 PM

Well that was frustrating. I found the requisite leads to get the signal from the amp (DIN) to mini jack, but neither of my laptops had an input, and the macbook, although it's old enough and had the appropriate settings, wasn't receiving it in Garageband. It works with the minidisc recorder, but for some bizarre reason, it's only recording the right channel, even though it was passing both channels through to the headphones as I was monitoring it.

Back to the drawing board... :-\

Hmm. Valiant attempt. Sounds as thugh you're close with the Mac though; if you have the old audio in, it may be a matter of the sound part of the System Preferences. Garageband is one option, but Audacity and Soundflower are others.

rogerg

I've never been successful getting Garageband to route an incoming signal back to itself.  I think Soundflower is the best option, though usually I just give up and do a google search...

DueyC

Half way there. After leaving the Macbook to charge overnight Garageband is now behaving itself. However I'm still only getting one channel and I suspect it's the cable that's at fault. I have a new one on order and I'll try again when that arrives.

owen

Not to speak heresy, or anything, but...is it worth all this trouble? If Jem's passing through though, it would be appreciated if a hi-rez version appeared on Bandcamp

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: owen on January 22, 2017, 10:39:33 PM
Not to speak heresy, or anything, but...is it worth all this trouble? If Jem's passing through though, it would be appreciated if a hi-rez version appeared on Bandcamp

Indeed, but in lieu of that (and he may have reasons for not wanting to do so), I thought a wee Frost*ie challenge would be nice.

Plus, by recording it from vinyl, you get the full scritchy-scratchy experience as intended. As the Amazing Wilf's son says on one of the audio clips on The European Perspective: "the goodness of analogue cheese".

rogerg

Quote from: DueyC on January 22, 2017, 06:16:19 PM
Half way there. After leaving the Macbook to charge overnight Garageband is now behaving itself. However I'm still only getting one channel and I suspect it's the cable that's at fault. I have a new one on order and I'll try again when that arrives.

It might be that the cable jack shouldn't be pushed in all the way.  I know that sounds strange, but some of those dual-purpose jacks function that way.