Yes live at Colston Hall

Started by MikeEvs, May 05, 2016, 10:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D S

I saw that too, checked the ticket prices, thought about it for 2 minutes and then thought nah, I'll leave it. But I also thought that someone else might be tempted...  ;)
(But probably not without JA)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

MikeEvs

Geoff Dowens like my reply to Keith D who was complaining about no Cardiff gig to Geoff (who lives in Wales)

https://twitter.com/MikeEvstog/status/904991036707143681

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: owen on September 08, 2017, 04:05:54 PM
So Steve Howe's Yes are doing a 50th anniversary tour, a best of plus sides 1 & 4 & a bit of 3 from Tales. Still not biting TA? ;)

Hmmm, obviously I'd love to hear more than half of TFTO live, quite apart from everything else. And of course it wouldn't hurt me to go along and give them a chance, as well as going to see Anderson's Yes again, as I did in London earlier this year.

But Anderson's voice lies at the very heart of Yes for me: with all respect to all of the other brilliant musicians involved in both bands, his voice is simply irreplaceable. It seems as though others can pick up the various instruments and come almost imperceptibly close to emulating any chosen Yes configuration live, such as the classic (for me) Going for the One era band. (Indeed, I'd love to hear a good young cover band who could bring the same energy Yes brought to their live stage performances in the 1970s: much of the more recent live gigs tend to be more stately, ponderous.)

But trying to copy Anderson's voice is doomed, in the way that CGI characters fall into that uncanny valley of close, but creepily wrong. Davison's voice is like that for me.

That was the relevation of ARW; Anderson's voice still shines brilliantly. It made the evening completely.

Plus, and perhaps slightly less seriously, what is it with Steve's C. Everett Koop beard?!  :o

owen

https://www.bristol247.com/culture/music/review-yes-colston-hall-2/

12m on and the tour has targeted. This is the review of the first night with pics from some bloke called Mike Evans. He looks a decent photographer. They didn't give you much time to send them in!

MikeEvs

Thanks Owen, I've now seen a total of 3 Yes songs live, I got to shoot two songs last night  :)

I left straight after and headed for the train station, caught the next train to Cardiff.  Got my laptop out on the train and imported my photos, had a bit of wait in Cardiff for my next train so did my editing in the waiting room at the station.

Emailed the photos to the reviewer after I got home at around 23:40.

He had the review online before I'd got out of bed this morning (I had the day off).

Thanks to Yes RT my link to the review my twitter notifications have been quite busy for me.

rogerg

MikeEvs

Mikey

I used to have a signature

owen

Just back from Bridgewater Hall Manchester. Fab show. Visuals phenomenal too. TA, I know Jon Davison is not Jon Anderson. But he was very good. But Trevor Rabin is not Steve Howe. And when will you see 2/3 of Tales again?

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: owen on March 18, 2018, 01:28:52 AM
Just back from Bridgewater Hall Manchester. Fab show. Visuals phenomenal too. TA, I know Jon Davison is not Jon Anderson. But he was very good. But Trevor Rabin is not Steve Howe. And when will you see 2/3 of Tales again?

You make good points and ask good questions. I will hopefully see "Yes featuring ARW" this summer again, but as you say, will they play much of TFTO, if anything? Nope. (Although why does the YesWorld site say "This is the last chance for fans to see YES perform sides 1 & 4 (and an excerpt from Side 3) of iconic 1973 album Tales from Topographic Oceans"? And why does it say "It is the much-anticipated return of the "Drama" line-up", when yes, Mr Horn will be there, but Mr Squire obviously will not.)

And is Mr Rabin as good a guitarist as Mr Howe. Nope.

Can I get to Tilburg next Tuesday, 27 March? In principle, yes. Should I go? Should I give Mr Davison the benefit of the doubt, as I did Mr Horn in 1980?

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: Trapezium Artist on March 19, 2018, 10:57:44 AM
Quote from: owen on March 18, 2018, 01:28:52 AM

You make good points and ask good questions. I will hopefully see "Yes featuring ARW" this summer again, but as you say, will they play much of TFTO, if anything? Nope. (Although why does the YesWorld site say "This is the last chance for fans to see YES perform sides 1 & 4 (and an excerpt from Side 3) of iconic 1973 album Tales from Topographic Oceans"? And why does it say "It is the much-anticipated return of the "Drama" line-up", when yes, Mr Horn will be there, but Mr Squire obviously will not.)

Can I get to Tilburg next Tuesday, 27 March? In principle, yes. Should I go? Should I give Mr Davison the benefit of the doubt, as I did Mr Horn in 1980?

I'm ashamed of myself.
I have caved in to peer pressure.
I have bought a (bloody expensive) ticket to see an Anderson-less Yes for the first time in 38 years.

It had better be good, you lot.

owen

I doubt you'll regret it ;)

For me Tales was the highlight. I think the website says that because the USA has already had that and want something else for the rest of the 50th anniversary

D S

Quote from: Trapezium Artist on March 19, 2018, 10:57:44 AM
Indeed - he's better!  :P ;) 8)
Enjoy your TFTO experience TA. I was just listening to the live Topographic Drama album today & it's not bad and that's from a non-TFTO fan. It takes the bits I dislike out i.e. most of Side 3.
Come on, you\'re a lion!

MikeEvs

Since the Bristol gig, I've tried a few times to listen to Yes.  I still don't like Anderson's voice.

I did make it all the way through this version of Awaken that TA tweeted to someone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Va3e_52TE

I'd previously tried listening TFTO but only managed to get about half way through side 1 before turning it off.

I did find his voice less grating than I usually do so maybe I'll give it another couple of years and try again.

rogerg