Main Menu

Well hello there...!

Started by Dena, November 09, 2008, 04:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dena

Newbie here, although some of you will doubtless know me from the It Bites forum.  :)

I've brought along some nice biscuits to dish out so I can get to know all you lovely Frost*ies better!  Chocolate Hob Nob, anyone?
Innit.

szabiakanich

Did somebody say biscuit?! :D Welcome.

Gandalf1986

Me smelled biscuits! Were are biscuits? :lol: Welcome aboard!
You talk
You think you own me
You miss the point completely
These things I do they\'re not for you
I\'m sick and I\'m tired
Leave me alone...
[/b]

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - Pedro

AnsOnkruid

Ah, you have biscuits! Welcome!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

vithorn

Seriously, is there anyone without biscuits ? :D

vithorn

Dena

Thank you for the welcome - and I can always pop to Tesco if you want something other than chocolate Hob Nobs... ;)   What's the general consensus on this good board about Jaffa Cakes?  Biscuit or cake?

So will there be a big turn out of Frost*ies at the CRS BOTY Awards in January?  I'm booked up for that.  I was hoping to make the gig on 20 December at The Peel, but alas, it was not to be (silly airline prices), although I've managed to get a ticket to see It Bites the next day (slightly less silly airline prices).
Innit.

MikeEvs

Quote from: "Dena"So will there be a big turn out of Frost*ies at the CRS BOTY Awards in January?  I'm booked up for that.  I was hoping to make the gig on 20 December at The Peel, but alas, it was not to be (silly airline prices), although I've managed to get a ticket to see It Bites the next day (slightly less silly airline prices).

I might be there depends if my friends from The Reasoning are going

D S

Welcome Dena - if your posting level here is the same as across on the IB forum, Pedro's going to have his work cut out!  ;)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Dena

Quote from: "D S"Welcome Dena - if your posting level here is the same as across on the IB forum, Pedro's going to have his work cut out!  ;)
I'm a little worried I might be spreading myself too thinly, actually...  ;)  :lol:
Innit.

Pedro

Quote from: "Dena"
Quote from: "D S"Welcome Dena - if your posting level here is the same as across on the IB forum, Pedro's going to have his work cut out!  ;)
I'm a little worried I might be spreading myself too thinly, actually...  ;)  :lol:
Wafer thin here too!
Welcome to the board Dena.  :D
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Brom

Quote from: "Pedro"
Quote from: "Dena"
Wafer thin here too!
Welcome to the board Dena.  :D

May I also extend greetings to the bored Dena, lets hope we Frosties can make your life a bit more interesting.  :D
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

rogerg

Mikey

Quote from: "Dena"What's the general consensus on this good board about Jaffa Cakes?  Biscuit or cake?
It's a cake.
See old forum, can't be arsed searching for the links.
Tax. Chocolate. Biscuits. Luxury, spring to mind

Quote from: "nice cup of tea web-site"Q. Are Jaffa cakes biscuits.

A. No, no the're not. Apart from being called cakes they obviously have a sponge base. Granted they appear to be some kind of luxury biscuit being chocolate covered and shipping in a box.

Quote from: "& they also"Cake or Biscuit?
No discussion of the Jaffa Cake can be complete with out recourse to the age old cake or biscuit question. Or to put it another way if I don't deal with this I'll be getting emails about it till next Christmas. We've tackled this all before on the site and in our book but if you haven't got round to reading either of those then here is a lightning quick summary. So deep breath here we go...  
Surprise surprise the Jaffa Cake is indeed a cake which is why they named called it that. Its base is made from sponge cake, not biscuit, they must have been thinking about that when they called it a Jaffa Cake.
Yes, yes, we are only to well aware of the theory that biscuits take up moisture when the go stale becoming limp conversely a cake looses it becoming hard, thus proving the Jaffa Cake to be a cake as its bottom is made of sponge cake as we already know. This is all well and good but has several noticeable exceptions such as the Fig roll and so cannot be relied upon. Better just to say its a cake.
Equally enticing but flawed is the idea that cakes contain eggs especially sponges like in the case of the Jaffa Cakes sponge bottom. Therefore biscuits simply are eggless baked things. Well that makes the Almond biscuit a cake so no luck there.
I know they sell them along with the biscuits, in packs just like biscuits, and McVities is a brand of United Biscuits (who also make cakes) but it's still a small cake.
Some people are confused by the size and think that to be a cake something has to be quite big. Well that's just a slur on those big bags of madeleines favoured by Marcel Proust or Mr Kiplings more diminutive offerings such his 8 packs of French Fancies.
Yes the VAT man wanted it to be a biscuit. That way it would fall by virtue of its chocolate coat into a category of products liable to VAT at the standard rate, i.e. luxury biscuits. As a cake however it is zero rated for VAT, no matter how luxuriant, much to the VAT man's continuing annoyance. In fact Wifey and I once had a chat with ex Tory Minister John Knott who brought in VAT when the Conservative Government of the time took Britain into the Common Market. He recalled that the whole VAT introduction went surprisingly well expect for the Jaffa cake which caused all sorts of problems. In 1991 the matter went to a tribunal (number 6344 in case you were wondering) in which the VAT man argued that the Jaffa wasn't a cake and so should not be exempt from VAT (VATA 1983 Sch 5 Group 1 excepted item 2), trotting out all the old arguments. McVities countered with all of the other old arguments plus a specially prepared 12 inch Jaffa Cake, which focused the tribunal's attention on the sponge base. The tribunal concluded that, while the product also had characteristics of biscuits or confectionery which was not cake, it had sufficient characteristics of cakes to be a cake for the purposes of zero-rating. (The tribunal also determined that the product was not a biscuit.)
Finally despite all of this Wifey still thinks they are biscuits.

I used to have a signature

Dena

Wow - that's a detailed reply!  Thank you!

So, cake it is.... ;)
Innit.