The Summer Of Software

Started by Jem, June 03, 2009, 09:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fergey

It's the Axiom Pro I have which I use with Reason and it is a fantastic piece of kit for the price.I think the keyboard is great but I am only comparing it to the likes of 1990's synths so...  :D

leelustig

Quote from: "Jem"Well, now I've got the Novation I have to say that it's.....not very good. It's fine for synth and lead stuff, but there seems to be a huge null point around the middle velocities. It's virtually impossible to play any meaningful piano on it as it's either REALLY loud or inaudible. And that's using the most sympathetic velocity curve I can find on it.

Shame really coz apart from that it's very good as a controller.

So the quest goes on...Anybody played the Axioms?
Haven't played on an Axiom, but I know for a fact that it's worth the money if you're a pro. And well... you know... you're Jem Godfrey.

Ya know it's funny, the problem you had with the Novation is the exact problem I face with my Korg X-50. Playing piano parts on that is like trying to teach a monkey chinese.
I've seen paupers as kings,
puppets on strings
dance for the children who stare
you must have seen them everywhere

EVP

So how goes the new rig Jem?

Jem

Quote from: "leelustig"
Quote from: "Jem"Ya know it's funny, the problem you had with the Novation is the exact problem I face with my Korg X-50. Playing piano parts on that is like trying to teach a monkey chinese.

I have heard that about X50's. Weird coz Korg normally don't scrimp on that kind of stuff. Unlike Roland, have you played the keyboard on a Juno G? Very unrewarding. And also strangely scaled down. Not by much, but enough to make it all feel and look weird.  :?

Jem

Quote from: "EVP"So how goes the new rig Jem?

Well I've just this week signed an endorsement deal with Open Labs which I'm very very excited about.

//http://www.openlabs.com/

They're the makers of those bonkers looking keyboard/computer hybrids. I've always admired them from afar, not least because the NeKo kinda reminds me of an Emulator II which I always loved the look of. :D

Anyways, I've ordered a DBeat which should be here next week. Cue essay... :lol:

Already I've had someone saying that it's nothing more than an R n B karaoke machine, but that's like saying a Bourbon is merely a biscuit. ;)  it's actually an incredibly versatile device capable of running virtually anything up to and including ProTools.

In a Frost context, it means I can run VST plugins live which are, frankly, better sounding than some of the equivalents in the Fantom (the organs, for example...) Everything can be set up within it using a fab little bit of software called Riff. You can layer up to 8 VST's at any one time and switch seamlessly between them using the touchscreen. Visually, it's much more intuitive than my setup currently.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/ ... ial-video/

One of the stress points of RoSFest was getting hold of a V-Synth GT, it really was touch and go up till the last moment. Again, if I'd had the DBeat with me, I could have used any old master keyboard when I got there. It also uses a program called Mimik so I could effectively have had the Fantom and the V-Synth with me anyway so I'd have had the best of both worlds.

//http://www.openlabs.com/mimik.html

In the studio, it'll also be of help coz I can run PC only VST's in my system now because DBeat works on a stripped out version of Windows optimized for it. So things like Glitch and the mighty Clone Ensemble that I used on The Other Me can become permanent members of the family. In addition to that it means I can keep legacy plug ins that become obsolete sometimes as ProTools moves inexorably through it's life cycle. So I can now upgrade to PT8 and still be able to use BFD 1 for example. Had I not got the DBeat, I'd have to chuck all that away.

In terms of sequencing, I can run whatever I like on it too. So if I'm away, I can take it with me and still record with ProTools. I'm getting a DBeat Pro so it'll come with Ableton Live and a bunch of other stuff. I'm going to spong Max 5 into it so I can run my Monome 64 off it as well.

I've also ordered Komplete 5 for it as well as Atruria's Analog Factory and Camel Audio's Alchemy.

Not bad for a Karaoke machine.  ;)  :lol:

Pajter

That looks/sounds incredible!

Can't wait to hear how you unleash your genius on this new toy. :D

rogerg

wow!  wow!  grats!   8-)

Pedro

"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Jem

Quote from: "Pedro"Available in white?  ;)
:lol: Naturally.... :D

Nellie

Ah but does it make dog noises?
It's in the post!

Pedro

"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

EVP

Wow that is some truly evil stuff going on there with Mimik! I had no idea something like that
even existed! Funny too how I've been yearning for some of those classic Windows only VST's
that I used to use in Pro Tools when I was on an XP machine.

Are you running both the Dbeat and a Neko or are you using controllers with the Dbeat?

I think another Frost geek report is on tap for al lof this ;)

Mouse

Quote from: "EVP"I think another Frost geek report is on tap for al lof this ;)

Seconded! I know I'm supposed to know about all of this stuff by now, but I'm still, well, a bit thick.  ;)  Explanations with diagrams and bright colours will be splendid.  :lol:

RWA

Congrats Jem on the Open Labs endorsement! Way cool!  8-)

Now you can write, record, mix and master a song and upload it to YT or MS ......... while you're doing a gig!  :shock:
I think it can even make toast, no?!

Latest update: default color of the LCD screen is now pink. If it turns blue .... you're pregnant :!:

Quote from: "Jem"I've also ordered Komplete 5 for it as well
Don't you just love those summer sales?!  :D

gav

What became of all this Open Labs endorsement in the end?
Any ideas?
Jem? ;)
Broadband! A whole 2.5MB of it!