Vocal effect in BLM

Started by Gman, July 21, 2009, 12:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman

Can anyone tell me what vocal effect(s) are used in BLM - specifically around the 5.30 section?

Kind of sounds like backwards and forwards reverb with very faint flanging but I'm not sure.

Cheers,

Giles

Jem

basically it's a lot of top end with the bottom rolled off then de-ess the shit out of it. Once you have that, reverse the vocal and print it with a straight hall reverb set to about 3 seconds and the mix set to 100% wet.

Then reverse that. You'll end up with forwards vocals rushing towards you. All you've got to do then is match it up with the original vocals and you've got classic Deep Thought.  ;)

Drarok

Crikey!

Is that a well-known technique, or do you just think of really obscure ways to get new sounds?

gareth

I might have to try that!

cheers :D

Mouse

It sounds a bit like the technique Rush used on Geddy Lee's vocals during the second part of Natural Science. Does anyone know what I mean?

(Warning! Amateur ignorant twit alert!)

LivingForever

Quote from: "Mouse"(Warning! Amateur ignorant twit alert!)

Oh, and I thought you were a professional ignorant twit!
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

Pedro

Quote from: "LivingForever"

LOL
If only one could get paid for it....
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Gman

Quotebasically it's a lot of top end with the bottom rolled off then de-ess the shit out of it. Once you have that, reverse the vocal and print it with a straight hall reverb set to about 3 seconds and the mix set to 100% wet.

Then reverse that. You'll end up with forwards vocals rushing towards you. All you've got to do then is match it up with the original vocals and you've got classic Deep Thought.

Aha...muchos gracias Mr G  :D

Pajter

That's great, I'm gonna have to try that sometime. :D

Mouse

Quote from: "LivingForever"

:lol:  I'm a lot of things, but what I'm certainly not is professional.  :)

RacingHippo

Quote from: "Mouse"It sounds a bit like the technique Rush used on Geddy Lee's vocals during the second part of Natural Science. Does anyone know what I mean?
Yep.

It's only taken 29 years for me to find out how it was done.
Thanks Jem!
* May contain nuts.

Gman

Quickly tried this tonight and managed to make Sally sound like a Russian version of Poltergeist!! Couldn't stop laughing...."Carol Ann...Carol Ann"...best laugh I've had in aaaages  :lol:

Drarok

The bit I couldn't get right was the timing. Lining them back up is really difficult. :(