Main Menu

Leeds reviews

Started by ich_bin_besser, June 13, 2009, 12:59:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catherine

Sounds great - and I'm pleased to see I got a fair bit of the setlist right! Hope it all goes brilliantly tonight as well and that those lucky souls attending have a fab time.

Neilgwhite

just look what we saw in Leeds after the gig, everyone has gone Frost* mad!!
Hello, is there anybody in there?............

gr8gonzo

...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

mikebass

Not really much to say that hasnt been said already. Frost* were greeeat and DT were just superb. Was lucky enough to meet most of Frost* (sadly no andy). Then me, Dr Arok, and the tiny mrs Arok has a good 2ish hour drive home.
"Actually ladies and gentlemen, we\'ve got a massive problem with one of the computers...bloody huge. It may even kill us!"

Pedro

Aha! So that was you at the coffee counter. You should have said or I should have asked! :D
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

weezul

Quote from: "RacingHippo"
  • TBE actually stands for "To Bed Early" (thank you, JM). A real shame I didn't get to chat with him, especially as I'm seriously thinking about employing him in his official capacity - even more so after talking with Dec and DaveM last night.
!

what would be his official capacity? Also this raises another point, JJ is concentrating on his business, what is his business does anyone know?

Dodie

Me and my eldest lad enjoyed last night's Leeds gig a lot. The Dream Theater fans seemed like thoroughly nice guys and gals (was it me being an old perv, or was there a surprising number of attractive women there? Prog was never like that in my day...). And it seemed to me that a lot of the hardcore DT folk really enjoyed Frost. "Black Light Machine" went down a storm.

I loved the Frost* set, could have done with another 20 minutes of it, and 20 minutes less of DT (and I am a DT fan...). Not least cos it seemed like Jem and the guys got really warmed up into things about halfway through the set (not anything much wrong with the first couple of songs, just that to me things stepped up a gear for "Pocket sun").

My son, not knowing the names of Dream Theater's members, got a bit confused by Jem mentioning that he was being filmed from offstage by "Jordan". Well, she is on the look out for a new fella, isn't she? ;)

What I realised during the DT set was that, much as though I like them (I have all their studio albums, and most of the live ones), I got ever-so-slightly bored when the instrumental sections and riffs revolved heavily around fast shreddy scales without harmonic richness or melodic hooks. All the best prog/rock, including the long epic widdly stuff, has great tunes and themes, including DT's own best bits (maybe I'm getting conservative, but I thought the ballad "Hollow Years" was more interesting to listen to than other songs more reliant on fast unison riffing and Mike Portony's energy). Even so, had a great night, and really enjoyed lots of things about DT. One thing much to DT's credit - how many big-time "metal" bands can you go and see where the fans are equally likely to wear Metallica or Journey T-shirts?

Nice to see a few fellow Frosties dotted amongst the crowd, and shame not to be able to get chatting - but it was pretty packed and difficult to move! The atmosphere seemed fantastic to me. Now enjoying the Frost*fest sampler CD - £8 not at all unreasonable. Fab!

Above all, one thing really struck me - aren't lots of Dream Theater fans unusually tall? I'm not short, but next time I'd take a box to stand on... :-)

Cheers,

David

Pedro

Quote from: "Dodie"Above all, one thing really struck me - aren't lots of Dream Theater fans unusually tall? I'm not short, but next time I'd take a box to stand on... :-)
LOL
Seriously considering one of these things (no, NOT for me!) for Mrs Pedro to use.

She could then SEE where the sound is coming from and with me behind her there'd be no danger of falling off.  :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Ecosse

Quote from: "Pedro"
Quote from: "Dodie"Above all, one thing really struck me - aren't lots of Dream Theater fans unusually tall? I'm not short, but next time I'd take a box to stand on... :-)
LOL
Seriously considering one of these things (no, NOT for me!) for Mrs Pedro to use.

She could then SEE where the sound is coming from and with me behind her there'd be no danger of falling off.  :)

I was actually saying that to bizkitbass off here last night that I could be doing with a Richard Hammond-esque "gig-box" to stand on so I could see :lol:
| Chris |
Twitter

Derekicr5

Well I'm back home now listening to the new CD -wearing my newly aquired Frost Tee shirt. Agree with all that's been said about the Leeds gig - we were upstairs so didn't suffer from the sound problem with the bass that those of you downstairs had to put up with.
My only gripe was that they had 2 queues outside - 1 for downstairs & 1 for upstairs (seemed logical enough). But once we got upstairs I went to get my copy of the CD & my tee shirt only to be told that they had none and that I'd have to wait until after the gig to go downstairs to purchase them. I then went down & asked one of the door staff if I could just nip in to buy my merchandise only to be told I'd have to wait till after the show! I even offered to give her the cash if she'd get them for me - she then went across to the merchandise counter and asked if they'd put me the stuff on one side which apparantly they said they would - Why I wasn't allowed to buy the stuff myself is beyond me, and why didn't they have any Frost merchandise on sale upstairs as well as downstairs?
This was my first gig at the O2, and to be honest I wasn't too impressed with the venue at all - Despite all this I thought Frost were brilliant - they should've been allowed on earlier as we were all seated by 7.30 so they could've played for at least an hour. The CD is superb by the way - Can't wait for the full album to be released!

mikebass

Quote from: "Pedro"Aha! So that was you at the coffee counter. You should have said or I should have asked! :D
Yeah that was me, i was half asleep tbh and my back had given out on me. The coffee kept me awake till we got home tho.
"Actually ladies and gentlemen, we\'ve got a massive problem with one of the computers...bloody huge. It may even kill us!"

Mossive Attack

Wish I was lucky enough to be at Southampton tonight but last night's was a great gig.

Thought the setlist was spot on given the time constraints. Sound was ok-ish from where I was (front stage left) and Nathan seemed to fit in well. Superb player too. Nice to see Andy again,sadly for the last time as a Frostie.

Venue was I thought fairly poor. Wish i'd known about the balcony, Mrs M might have seen a bit more from up there. We walked in about 2 minutes into Hyperventilate so could have been worse. Good jobe they didnt come on any earlier. I was fearing a Manchester Academy situation.. 3 rooms, 1 queue = miss half the set... :cry:

I hope that some full size Frost gigs come round soon!
The artist formerly known as Rob-M....

johninblack

Quote from: "rob-m"I hope that some full size Frost gigs come round soon!
The wish of the many!
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Mordwin

All in all, a good gig, let down a bit by the sound, the queues, the rather full venue and (for DT at least), the lights going all arena on us a bit too often. But had a good time anyway, and Frost* seemed to go down rather well, I hope they all had a blast, no doubt Jem will have things to say in due course :)

Mouse

Cor blimey, what a night! I intend to write a complete and detailed account of the event on my blog at some point, so I'll link to there when I do. I'll also have a good few photos uploaded later and I'll post some here of course.

For now, Frost* were excellent! I really do hope Nathan King features in the Frost*iverse in the future. He really was very good and fitted into the band's madness perfectly. Superb! Dream Theater were loud, brilliant and loud. Mr. Rudess's iPhone solos were  great to watch, which made up for the fact I could hardly see John Petrucci do anything as I'm a bit restricted height-wise. In fact, I could use one of them stools as well next time, Pedro!

Finally, wonderful to meet the Frost*ies I did meet: Ecosse, Brodie, Bizkitbass, RacingHippo, Pedro, Sawtooth - cheers to you all! I'd also like to thank Jem for the biiiig hug and to JM for not drawing a man-exclusive limb on my mate's Frost*Fest CD!  :D

More will come later...  :)