New Porcupine Tree album

Started by grif, June 13, 2009, 12:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grif

The new album - "The Incident"
Porcupine Tree are happy to announce the forthcoming release of their tenth studio album "The Incident". The record is set to be released via Roadrunner Records worldwide on 21st September, as a double CD.

The centre-piece is the title track, which takes up the whole of the first disc. The 55-minute work is described as "a slightly surreal song cycle about beginnings and endings and the sense that 'after this, things will never be the same again'."

The self-produced album is completed by four standalone compositions that developed out of band writing sessions last December - Flicker, Bonnie The Cat, Black Dahlia, and Remember Me Lover feature on a separate EP length disc to stress their independence from the song cycle.

Video footage of the band in the studio working on The Incident, as well as audio previews, will be available online soon. The band will tour extensively to promote the album from mid September onwards.

catherine

Woo-hoo! I'm seeing them on 9th October in London - it's shaping up to being a really good autumn, with IQ, It Bites and PT gigs to look forward to.

EVP

Excellent! I've been waiting for news on this.

gr8gonzo

...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Pajter

Can't f'ing wait!

Listening to some Porcupine Tree while typing this. It's been a while since I last tuned into one of their albums. Can't believe I was able to go such a long time without listening to it!

When I read the news on 'the incident' this morning, my day just couldn't go wrong anymore! :D

FantomG

I'm really looking forward too!  

At least it does give a few days before seeing them on the 9th Oct to get my head into it / round it....especially the 55 min "slightly surreal song cycle"

Cool 8-)

Brom

This sounds really great, can't wait and ditto for the gig!  :D Cheers for the info.
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Cptncanary

I've only got 'In Absentia'; what other recommendations can you give me?  :D

catherine

In Absentia's a great start! You'd probably also like:
Deadwing (good and heavy with some sublime moments)
Stupid Dream (which has Even Less on it, the slide guitar on the intro of which makes the whole album worthwhile)
Lightbulb Sun (for the title track and Russia on Ice)
Fear of a Blank Planet (which has some of the most awesome drumming ever on Anaesthetise)
Signify is a must...
Coma Divine is a brilliant live album
Voyage 34, Warsawa, ...

Basically, just get the whole back catalogue - there isn't a duff album among them.

FantomG

I agree with Catherine...and probably start with the most recent ( as when you get to see them live, you'll be more familiar)

In Absentia, Fear Of A Blank Planet and Deadwing ....then branch out to the back cat....and also try going sideways and some of Steven Wilson's other projects ..like Blackfield (1, 2 or live), No-Man (Schoolyard Ghosts)

:D

Brom

"Arriving Somewhere" from Deadwing is my current fave track of all time. IMHO the whole album is magnificent and a 'must buy'!
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Mouse

Really looking forward to this new one! I'm still deciding whether or not I can afford to get to the Leeds gig in October, but I would do in a flash if I could.

I favour the more 'spacey' Porcupine Tree albums like The Sky Moves Sideways (Stars Die and Moonloop on the bonus disc are sublime) and Lightbulb Sun over the more recent heavier ones, but Catherine's right - there isn't a bad album in their entire back catalogue. Stupid Dream is an excellent one. My first buy was Warszawa, which was a great introduction to all sides of the band.

Big Black Shed

Quote from: "Brom""Arriving Somewhere" from Deadwing is my current fave track of all time. IMHO the whole album is magnificent and a 'must buy'!

Echos my own thoughts.
It's not the winning or even taking part. It's the arsing about that counts.

gr8gonzo

I started with In Absentia and loved it.  Deadwing came out shortly after and I also love that one.  I really like Stupid Dream, FOABP, Nil Recurring and bits of Lightbulb Sun, but the earler stuff is a little too experimental/atmospheric for my personal taste.  I have Signify, but rarely listen to it.

Steven Wilson's other projects are ok, but just don't grab me the same way as PT.  Looking forward to it.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

EVP

I started with The Sky Moves Sideways(US version) and then on to Signify
right afterward. I was instantly hooked from that point on. I was buying everything
except vinyl releases.  

I agree about Deadwing. That one is my fav and and to be honest I wasn't as
taken by Fear of A Blank Planet when it came out,though I do like it more
in hindsight.