New Porcupine Tree album

Started by grif, June 13, 2009, 12:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Black Shed

Quote from: "Brom"Another listen and it's growing, and I take it back, there are some recurring themes and some solos. I guess everyone has picked up on the likeness that Time Flies has to The Pink Floyds Dogs, including the line "and after a while"?

I've noticed a few Floyd moments. I can't say which bits and what they sound like, except "Ooh, that's a bit Floydy"

And not in a bad way either.

Edit: Time Flies = Dogs.
It's not the winning or even taking part. It's the arsing about that counts.

LivingForever

There seem to me to be a whole stack of Floyd references in 'Time Flies' - apart from the very obvious 'Dogs' / 'Sheep' ones, there's also:

- Nod to 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond' guitar riff, starting at 1:50 and elsewhere
- Low guitar riff, very like the opening of 'Time', starting at 5:02
- "Can you stop smoking your cigar?" lyric

Maybe there are more if you're a bigger Floyd nut than me....
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

Mossive Attack

A grower for sure....after a good few listens I have to say I do like it...just not as immediate for me as some earlier stuff...
The artist formerly known as Rob-M....

Mouse

I love it! I thought that Blank Planet and Deadwing were a bit uneven in terms of atmospherics and heaviness (especially the former), which put me off slightly at first. The Incident seems to have reached a nice plateau where everything is nice and even and it sounds great. Mind you, I'm a massive fan of the cosmic, spacey sounding PT, so disregard my comments if you wish.  :P

Time Flies is excellent, but since that's already been said, I'd like to give some praise to Bonnie The Cat. I love the Jazz-style of the whole thing, the eccentric darkness and I adore the image I get of a cat who can see the future (that's only because I don't know what the song's about, and I think I prefer it that way).  8-)  Flicker and Black Dhalia are also really nice moments.

I assume everyone knows the story of the main track - how SW saw a sign that said "POLICE - INCIDENT" and was struck by how cold the expression was? I've been told that everything that happens in The Incident before Time Flies is an account (among other meanings) of everything that happened before he saw that sign. After TF is what happened after that, which shines new light onto the whole concept. All in all, I think it's excellent stuff.

Quote from: "LivingForever"There seem to me to be a whole stack of Floyd references in 'Time Flies'... Maybe there are more if you're a bigger Floyd nut than me....

I'll report back.  ;)

Brom

Listening to "Time Flies" this morning - during the chuggy acoustic guitar intro Miss Brom goes.. "That's the Dr Who" rhythm.

Well I never!  :D
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Pedro

Quote from: "Brom"Listening to "Time Flies" this morning - during the chuggy acoustic guitar intro Miss Brom goes.. "That's the Dr Who" rhythm.

Well I never!  :D
Perhaps Mr. Wilson is The Master?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"