Sound mangling hi-fi

Started by Brom, June 17, 2009, 01:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brom

To cut a long story short, I realised last nite that I had incorrectly wired up the mini stereo we use on the family PC. Instead of the conventional speaker wiring, I'd managed to connect one speaker across L and R Pos, and the other across the L&R neg terminals. What resulted was a very weak sounding output which was missing stuff from the centre of the mix i.e. vocals!!

You can imagine there was lots of out of phase cancelling going on. A technique which is used to cancel out vocals I believe, but have never played with such a device - plugin - whatever. However, this particular method, i.e. using the output of the stereo may have given results different to those produced by commercial phase mangling gadgetry.

I'm going to try recording some existing stuff of my own using this method and then mixing/morphing the mangled sound and out of the dry mix to see what I get.

As I said probably done before, but maybe something to try, and it's not that expensive!
Oh- Please don't blame me though if you blow up your amp in the process!! ;)
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Bokkie

How do you record the sound from your experiment? with a mic?
Please let us hear your results, im very curious.
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

Geetar

Quote from: "Brom"As I said probably done before, but maybe something to try, and it's not that expensive!
Oh- Please don't blame me though if you blow up your amp in the process!! ;)

Hard to blow up stuff doing this, unless you inadvertently touch both positive and negative ends of your cables to a common terminal while the cables are plugged into the amp (and while it's turned on, natch...). The cable ends just mustn't touch the same-polarity speaker terminal at the same time.

Some amps have protection against a short like this, but Brystons (just one example) derive their better sound from an absence of protection circuitry (and its added complexity, to no sonic benefit) at the output stage.
This space for sale.