Review of EIMA on www.prog-nose.org

Started by catherine, June 24, 2009, 07:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catherine

sadly it's in Dutch with no English translation, but Google Translate had a go for me:

Jem Godfrey surprised two years ago with his album Million Town, a very unique but excellent piece musical influences from different genres, but surely also with a progressive edge. The criticisms of the album were very positive, some had some questions in the voice of Jem itself, the result is that the new album an extra vocalist / guitarist was recruited in the person of Declan Burke. Together with John Mitchell (Arens, It Bites, Kino), Andy Edwards (IQ) and John Jowitt (IQ) Jem has a fantastic line-up of experienced musicians, with solid compositions can not go wrong. And that is exactly what is geburd, "Experiments in Mass Appeal" is an unusual, original and at great album, filled with surprising musical twists. Maybe you can argue that the new album a little less progressive than its predecessor, the result is an album with lots of variety and innovation within the genre.

Jem Godfrey has clearly not for the easy option and dares to stabbing his neck, one would have expected that he still appreciated by critics recipe Million Town would repeat, but the first show of the title track prove the contrary. Guitars are more prominent than there used to be a bit at the expense of the keyboards, but that makes the compositions are no less rich. Often he uses soft, ambient piano intro parties, and sometimes a sound wall with a lot of guitar violence takes over the helm. In this sense, the music certainly points to Porcupine Tree and perhaps even more with Muse, the strong bass line, the driving guitars, drums and inventive keyboard riffs (Welcome to Nowhere, Pocket Sun) reach the same level as Bellamy and his . Also in the ballad genre is the group of very strong, the witness of this modest and minimalist Saline, beautiful by its simplicity.

One of the strongest songs is certainly Dear Dead Days, a new intro to Muse-ways with a lot of tempo changes, which Burke proves that he is the singer, the group is needed. But above all instrumental, this song also a gem with some wonderful guitar solos anything. Falling down seamlessly connect to and, together with the previous song may be a long epic. After You'll intimist and solid rocker Toys is the longest track on the album 'Wonderland'. After an ambient intro with piano and beautiful vocals (apparently a common thread throughout the album) is the time ripe for an epic, although after a short 6 minutes the song stops and then to proceed in an atmospheric end to chill-ways. A bit of a strange end to one of the best albums of 2008. Maybe not everyone will agree here, because some are required to listen this music to fully appreciate. But this is progressive rock of the 21st century, it now remains to be seen who wants it

I hope that Jem has now recovered from stabbing his neck...

gr8gonzo

Geburd! Geburd!  Stab that neck, Jem!
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

catherine

I'd like to hear more details about Bellamy and his .

ChrisX

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"Geburd! Geburd!  Stab that neck, Jem!

Wat's geburd?

//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjER3EX948w
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

Pajter

I could properly translate it if somebody's interested. :P

gr8gonzo

"Jem has a fantastic line-up of experienced musicians, with solid compositions can not go wrong. And that is exactly what is geburd"
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

catherine

Quote from: "gr8gonzo""Jem has a fantastic line-up of experienced musicians, with solid compositions can not go wrong. And that is exactly what is geburd"

I think that says it all, really!  :D

Pajter, I'd love to read your take on this.

Pedro

"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

catherine

Pedro

"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

sawtooth

I'd like to go to one of those 'ambient piano intro parties'.
You only live once.... :D

catherine

You want to be careful, Sawtooth - sometimes a sound wall with a lot of guitar violence  takes over the helm. I would imagine that could be very distressing at an ambient piano intro party.

catherine

I suppose the best possible outcome would be for it then to proceed in an atmospheric end to chill-ways, but nothing's guaranteed these days.

sawtooth

Quote from: "catherine"I suppose the best possible outcome would be for it then to proceed in an atmospheric end to chill-ways, but nothing's guaranteed these days.

Beat me to it!!   :D  :D

Mouse

I love the sound of "guitar violence"!  :twisted:

Quote from: "Pedro"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY_Yf4zz-yo

:D

:lol: