Review of EIMA on www.prog-nose.org

Started by catherine, June 24, 2009, 07:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pajter

Quote from: "catherine"Pajter, I'd love to read your take on this.

Here's my quick and dirty translation.

QuoteTwo years ago, Jem Godfrey surprised everybody with his album Milliontown: a very unique but excellent album, with influences from different genres, but still with a very progressive edge. The album received positive criticism, although some people had doubts about Jem's voice. The result is that Jem hired an extra singer/guitarist for the new album: Declan Burke. Together with John Mitchell, Andy Edwards and John Jowitt, Jem now has a fantastic line-up of experienced musicians, and with descent compositions this can't go wrong. And that is exactly what's geburd (happened) with EIMA. An unusual, original and at the same time fantastic album, with surprising musical twists. You might say that the new album is a tad less progressive than his predecessor, but the result is an album with lots of variation and progression within the genre.

Jem Godfrey clearly did not choose the easy way out with this, and is willing to stick his neck out. You would expect him to repeat the critically acclaimed recipe of Milliontown, but the first few notes of the title track prove otherwise. Guitars are more prominent than before - a little bit at the expense of the keyboards - but that doesn't make the compositions less rich. Often Jem will use soft and ambient piano parts for the intro, only to follow it with a wall of sound using a lot of guitar-violence. In a sense, the music definitely has it's similarities with Porcupine Tree, and maybe even more with Muse. The strong bass lines, as well as the driving guitars, the inventive drums, and the keyboards riffs (Welcome to Nowhere, Pocket Sun) reach the same level as Bellamy and his mates/band/fellow musicians/biscuits.

One of the strongest songs is definitely Dear Dead Days. Again a Muse-like intro, with a whole lot of tempo changes, where Burke proves that he's the singer the group definitely needs. Especially instrumentally this song is a gem, with a number of brilliant guitar solo's on top. Falling Down follows this perfectly and could create a long epic with the previous song. After the intimate You/I and the heavy rocker Toys, begins the longest track on the album: Wonderland. After an ambient intro with piano and beautiful singing (apparent throughout the whole album) begins the epic, although that abruptly stops after a mere 6 minutes, just to be followed by a very atmospheric ending. A bit of a strange way to end one of 2008's best albums. Maybe not everybody will agree with this, because you'll need to listen to this album multiple times, to appreciate it to the fullest. However, this is definitely 21st century prog rock, now we just wait and see who's up for that.

Had to paraphrase some stuff, because it was easier that way, and I have to go to work now. :P

catherine

Nice work, Pajter - thanks!

(and I'm glad that we've got "intimist" cleared up - that was worrying me a bit earlier. A special sort of deodorant, perhaps? But what was Jem doing using it on the CD?)

Mouse

Nice work Pajter! Good to see the guitar violence staying around.  8-)

gr8gonzo

Where'd I put my guitar-through-the-neck gag prop?
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

leelustig

I thought it was a pretty good review, I mean kinda vague. But how much justice can 1 review do anyway?

My review of the album can be summed up into 1 word: BANGIN'.  ;)
I've seen paupers as kings,
puppets on strings
dance for the children who stare
you must have seen them everywhere

leelustig

puppets on strings

gr8gonzo

"Bangin'" was the title of The Outfield's 2nd album.  You might not have been born yet.

leelustig

Doubt I was. Not to mention my prog knowledge is not as vast as a Frostie's should be. I just cant find time for all the prog out there.

I dont even know if Outfield's prog, just assuming they are.  :mrgreen:
puppets on strings

gr8gonzo

Mouse

Guess I'll never know - that video can't be viewed in my country.  :P

Mouse

Cheers Epo! No, definitely not Prog... The lead singer sounds a bit like Sting, and I love the keyboard player who's obviously not cool enough to play a major part in the video.  :lol:

gr8gonzo

I think you can cut Reg Webb a little slack, though.  Not too many blind keyboardists out there.

leelustig

yeah see ive literally never even heard of them....

...this video's weird
puppets on strings