Anybody with botanical knowledge of weeds?

Started by Bokkie, June 25, 2009, 09:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brom

Quote from: "Bokkie"
Quote from: "The Cosmic Lawnmower"Oh and to get rid of it, I should think an ordinary SELECTIVE herbicide would do the trick, make sure it is SELECTIVE though because if you apply a TOTAL herbicide you'll kill your lawn as surely as if Motorhead had moved in next door to you!

Selective herbicides will only kill dicotyledonous plants (broadleafed weeds) leaving the monocotyledonous plants (grasses) unharmed.

Or it may be easier for you to just apply some of the weed 'n feed type treatments you can buy at garden centres.

Cheers
But this is very useful, thanks Cosmic lawnmower.

This is such a great place, can there be any boundaries to our diversity.  :D
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

The Cosmic Lawnmower

Quote from: "Bokkie"Ok, i made another picture:

This is a young plant though. Full grown the leaves will be about 2 inches. It is horrible, it is hardly containable. I have to manually remove it, but after 10 square inch i'm fed up with it.
I was hoping there was a less drastic method to conquer this pest; elephant droppings, used coffee, perhaps a ritual dance in the moonlight. :)

Yeah, I still think it's 'Creeping Jenny' (sometimes called 'Moneywort'), if you don't fancy getting into selective herbicides try some weed n' feed and see if that blitzes it, it's quite easy to apply especially the granular types. If it's a persistant weed like this you'll very likely need more than one application though, probably several repeats although you should see the plants start to weaken.

Ash

My lawn is quite green  :)   mainly cos it appears to be 50% clover  :(
Ash
xxx

catherine

rogerg

what kind of knowledge about weeds other than botanical is there?

catherine

rogerg

Quote from: "catherine"Pharmacological?

good point.

Bokkie

Quote from: "The Cosmic Lawnmower"Yeah, I still think it's 'Creeping Jenny' (sometimes called 'Moneywort'), if you don't fancy getting into selective herbicides try some weed n' feed and see if that blitzes it, it's quite easy to apply especially the granular types. If it's a persistant weed like this you'll very likely need more than one application though, probably several repeats although you should see the plants start to weaken.

After further research and tips from Cosmic Lawnmower i found out it's indeed Creeping Jenny or Moneywort. The last name is consistent with the Dutch translation: Peningkruid(coin herb).or  kruipende boterbloem(creeping buttercup as Nellie mentioned)  The second thing i discovered was that Creeping Jenny is not considered a weed. So thats why i could not find any info on it.

Thank you all for your contribution  and let the snail Rock.

btw whats the difference between a slug and a snail?
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

rogerg

Quote from: "Bokkie"btw whats the difference between a slug and a snail?

the snail owns his home.

Bokkie

Quote from: "rogerg"
Quote from: "Bokkie"btw whats the difference between a slug and a snail?

the snail owns his home.
Ok ,thanks. Its a slug than.
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.