The Forget You Song - sound issues

Started by Pajter, July 14, 2009, 10:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pajter

I was listening to this song on the Frost*fest CD, and I can't help but notice something weird in the sound. It sounds to me like there's bad MP3 encoding on this. Like a low bitrate. It's not as bad as the version on MySpace, but there's definitely something weird there.

Now I'm listening again, and it almost sounds as if this was intentional. The vocals sound much cleaner and crisper. I don't know if this is because they're in a different range, and the MP3 compression doesn't affect it. It's very noticeable on the cymbals. They sound more thrashy than usual. It's pretty annoying imo.

Maybe it's just me hearing odd things. The rest of the cd sounds great, and so do the rest of my mp3's.

Anyone else noticing this?

LivingForever

I don't think it's data compression like MP3, I think it's extreme audio compression applied as an effect.
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

gareth

Yeah I noticed it, I was expecting something brighter than the myspace version, but it is kinda flat.

I'm pretty sure the drums are Jem+BFD, as Andy didn't record drums for this one.

Neat little song but.

Daydreamer

I would go for Jem + Addictive Drums.
The sound is typically Addictive Drums Startup Kit (very impressive kit)

tomskerous

I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

Brom

Quote from: "tomskerous"I think it's a tuba.

wot, like in toothpaste?

*Goes off to listen to Signals by Rush*
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

leelustig

i dont know why people are saying it sounds bad/annoying, i think the production is awesome on that song. it's a bit more raw and less produced but i think it fits the song.
I've seen paupers as kings,
puppets on strings
dance for the children who stare
you must have seen them everywhere

Pajter

I like the raw part, and the overall production, but the thrashy compression sound puts me off a bit. Especially after the AMAZING quality/mix/production of the live tracks.

johninblack

Quote from: "leelustig"i dont know why people are saying it sounds bad/annoying, i think the production is awesome on that song. it's a bit more raw and less produced but i think it fits the song.
I totally agree with that. With regards to the live songs I seem to remember Jem saying this was his first go at mixing a live album. Sir, ya bleedin' nailed it. :D
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

gareth

Werd. Nick's drum sound is especially wonderful.

Fishy

Quote from: "Daydreamer"I would go for Jem + Addictive Drums.
The sound is typically Addictive Drums Startup Kit (very impressive kit)

How did I not spot this. I use addictive drums like everyday.

I always thought that startup kit was ridiculously overcompressed (and the the compressor in AD is reeeally bad) and I thought the same thing when I heard this song for the first time. Make your own presets jem :p.

Jem

You're right of course. Apologies. It was largely down to budgetary constraints. I'd rather the music was out there even in rudimentary form, especially as we did it live at RosFest. But clearly the hoo hah has proved me otherwise. Sorry about that mate.

I promise you'll not hear another demo.

Fishy

Well rudimentary is still leagues above nothing at all :D. Plus its always interesting to hear the demo/album version transformation.

Drarok

No more demos for that man, remove him from the mailing list.

The rest of us can still play, right? :)

Mouse

Am I the only one here who's amazed you can do drums like that on a keyboard? It's brilliant! I would never have guessed it wasn't a physical kit. You have a skill there Jem (one of very many), and it's one I wish I had because it would make my work so much easier.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter what makes the sounds or where those sounds come from, as long as it sounds great and, in the case of TFYS rocks like a b*stard, that's all that matters to me!  :D

For the record, I'm not a drummer, so my comments above are free to be disposed of and spat at by those fluent with the sticks.  ;)