A couple of keyboard related questions for Jem

Started by EvilDragon, July 28, 2009, 10:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilDragon

Hello mates, I'm a new one here, and I do have some questions for our dear fellow Jem. If anybody else knows to answer, please do :)

1. In BLM first synth solo, you mention how you made the lead sound. I can get to the first two patches, but I don't have KLCA MS-20 yet. Can you tell me if it's a preset sound, or did you tweak it yourself? In any way, can you hint me at how the sound's created, so I can try to mimic it with some other synths I do have (VAZ Modular, for example)?

2. What made you buy the Korg M3, when you're so full of love with your Fantoms? I personally think M3 is a great, great board, and has more lifelike sounds than a Roland. Still, the new Kurzweil PC3 trumps them both. Do you still have the M3? :)

3. Which synth of all you've ever had you like the most?

I'm a keyboard player too, that's why all the questions are keyboard-related :P

Cheers, thanks!

johninblack

Welcome aboard there EvilDragon. Enjoy your time here. :D
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

SerFox

My guess on 3 is the Jup 8 because it keeps him warm in winter  :D

Pedro

I'm pretty sure the M3 is no longer resident in The Cube.

Welcome aboard!  :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

rogerg

yes, welcome to the fun house, ED!  

and welcome back, Pedro!!

Jem

Quote from: "EvilDragon"Hello mates, I'm a new one here, and I do have some questions for our dear fellow Jem. If anybody else knows to answer, please do :)

hello hello! :D

Quote from: "EvilDragon"1. In BLM first synth solo, you mention how you made the lead sound. I can get to the first two patches, but I don't have KLCA MS-20 yet. Can you tell me if it's a preset sound, or did you tweak it yourself? In any way, can you hint me at how the sound's created, so I can try to mimic it with some other synths I do have (VAZ Modular, for example)?

I think I tweaked it. It's 2 dual sawtooth lead sounds, 1 with a lot of portamento and 1 without to get that classic APR Quadra kind of Banksian lead sound.

Quote from: "EvilDragon"2. What made you buy the Korg M3, when you're so full of love with your Fantoms? I personally think M3 is a great, great board, and has more lifelike sounds than a Roland. Still, the new Kurzweil PC3 trumps them both. Do you still have the M3? :)

I thought I'd give Korg a go again, see whether I was misplaced in my dislike. I know I'm very much in the minority about not liking Korg gear. In the end I sold it to a nice man called Ollie about 18 months ago. He loves it still.

Quote from: "EvilDragon"3. Which synth of all you've ever had you like the most?

blimey! what a question!!  :lol:

Perhaps controversially, I'm going to say the Fantom X6. When fully expanded, it had a lot of very useable sounds that sat very well in a mix. It was brilliant for the dayjob stuff, it was small, easy to use, the keyboard action was lovely and it paid for itself a thousand times over. In terms of bling, probably my custom white Voyager with the purple backlights would get the vote.

Mouse

Quote from: "Jem"In terms of bling, probably my custom white Voyager with the purple backlights would get the vote.

Drooool...

Gman

Quotemy custom white Voyager with the purple backlights

Did that come with a tooth starburst and loud 'ding' whenever you flashed a smile playing it?

Pedro

Quote from: "Gman"
Quotemy custom white Voyager with the purple backlights

Did that come with a tooth starburst and loud 'ding' whenever you flashed a smile playing it?
LOL Nah, Jem comes with one of them! :lol:
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

EvilDragon

Thanks very much for the replies, Jem. I did manage to get the MS20 lead with Legacy Cell now that I got a hold of KLCA :) Works very well! Now just to nail that awesome solo... :D

One more question: I'm noticing quite nice legato playing in that BLM solo. With the current lead sound that I managed to get following your tips from the Frost report, I can't get such fluent legatoing, and I'm not a keyboard newbie, I'm 16 years behind piano keys myself ^^' There are several tricks that I know of that guarantee perfect legato when soloing with a lead sound:

1. hold sustain pedal :)
2. increase release time of amplifier envelope a bit, just to glue the consecutive notes a bit.

Have you used one of those tricks to get such legato? I'm using it all the time, in fact, I'm not ashamed to admit! XD

EDIT: here's the demo of BLM lead sound as I tweaked it out. It's bitchin' awesome!

http://www.box.net/shared/n2y9bis9y6

drblowthingsup

iv been playin keys for like 6 months now thanks to some motivation from frost* reports and jordan rudess's keyboard lessons on youtube lol but i have a piano rather than a keyboard so i just end up keepin my foot planted firmly on the sutain pedal when i do runs and stuff lol it sounds so very very old :(