Main Menu

Day Job

Started by DannySoisSage, July 30, 2009, 07:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannySoisSage

Jem

I am just listening to some XYP and its turned into a bit of a guilty pleasure, especially 'Confessions'; didn't you help write that and a couple of others of theirs? Anyhow. The question I had and had for a while tbh was is there any of your 'dayjob' stuff that you would go 'definitely listen to that' since really a lot of us are quite ignorant of that side of the musical world, and not always for the better?

Cheers mate =)

johninblack

Quote from: "DannySoisSage"Jem

I am just listening to some XYP and its turned into a bit of a guilty pleasure, especially 'Confessions'; didn't you help write that and a couple of others of theirs? Anyhow. The question I had and had for a while tbh was is there any of your 'dayjob' stuff that you would go 'definitely listen to that' since really a lot of us are quite ignorant of that side of the musical world, and not always for the better?

Cheers mate =)
Oh! what a very good question! :D
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Mouse

I concur with JIB, it is a good question. As well as being generally interesting, the answer could expand a few musical horizons, mine included.  :)

johninblack

To expand this slightly further which of the "Day Jobs" would you say was the piece you were most proud of being involved in?
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Jem

That is indeed a good question.

I would say that to date, I've shied away from talking about that stuff largely because of the kicking I've had from certain corners of the prog-u-verse. The memorable review about me sitting by my pool in my sharp suit while churning out a load of pop shite springs to mind. :lol:

The prog world does indeed contain some of the narrowest minds I've ever had the misfortune to have to deal with, however one of the reasons why this place is so bloody marvellous is because we don't seem to have those kind of people here and I think that gives great hope for the future of prog rock, and the future of Frost.  8-)

So in answer to your question, I'd have to say that most of the stuff I'm really proud of never actually got cut commercially. And maybe there is much writing on the wall as a consequence! I wrote a great song with Liberty X called "Looking After Number 1" that I still think sounds good 5 years later, there was an artist called Tyler James that I co-wrote about 5 songs for all of which I was immensely proud, there was a track called "Boom" by a South African guy called Danny K that was a BT inspired ProTools fest of which got me something of a reputation in the industry as "the ProTools guy" back when it wasn't an industry standard bit of kit.  :lol:

We did a few songs with a beautiful and talented young gal called Emily Friendship once of which was a track called "Fine" which still makes the hairs on my arms go up.

I co wrote a track with Karen Poole ex of Alishas Attic for Kylie called "We Are Fusion" that was shortlisted and then dumped. That was really cool. Maybe I should set up a MySpace page sometime...I'm not sure if I'd get into horrendous trouble though with Universal as technically they own all these old tracks.

In terms of stuff that was released, I'm still proud of Kiss Kiss not least for my ProTools middle 8. it was initially a lot wilder, but we had to tone it down a bit.

I'm still very proud of Confessions although the better mix is the one I did for the Benelux single release. The album version that was mixed elsewhere isn't so hot IMO. I'll probably get into trouble for saying that.  :lol:

If it ever comes out, Dani Harmer's album features a track called "Superheroes" that I co-wrote that I really like. I also mixed and did production on a whole bunch other tracks on that album.

DannySoisSage

Awesome answer =) thanks mate

Although I totally understand why you would kind of shy away from talking about it in 'prog circles' at the end of the day these are the same people who love your prog songwriting; without wanting to put too much brown on my nose we're all here because we fucking love the stuff you write, I can't see how someone can say 'fuck me this guy is good at writing songs we love, but how dare he write in a different genre?!' surely its the most fucking progressive thing you can do as a musician?!

/rant  :lol:

Anyway, if you ever feel inclined to put any of that stuff out there, however sneakily, I will be at the front of the queue. If you need to charge a bit for it I'll still go for it.

Oh, and knowing you were involved in Kiss Kiss makes me feel a lot less guilty about really liking that song (I liked it even more after I saw the video  :shock: )  :D

All the best mate =)

Mouse

Quote from: "Jem"In terms of stuff that was released, I'm still proud of Kiss Kiss not least for my ProTools middle 8. it was initially a lot wilder, but we had to tone it down a bit.

I've just got this image of a 13/8 keyboard solo which finishes with a "fataaaah!" with complimentary RAWK hand sign thing.  :lol:

Dave M

A web site .... aww go on ... I'd love to hear some of these, especially as they never made it into the world, and were somehow deemed not worthy ...  :D

Could you hide them in the Toys section ?
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

gr8gonzo

Excellent question and equally great answer, you guys.  I don't think there's anyone here that doesn't want to hear every one of those songs now.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Pedro

Quote from: "Dave M"Could you hide them in the Toys section ?
Oooh...the Great Godfrey Goodie Hunt....

With such forum permissions as Jem has he could edit ANY posting ANYWHERE on this board and stick in a link to a track - maybe along with a cryptic clue to the location of the next one!

Who knows....he might have done this already?? Only 23.5 thousand places to look....better get searching!  :D
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

gr8gonzo

Love the new avatar, Pedders.  Or is it Simba now?
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Pedro

Thanks Gonz, it is a little on the Disney side innit? :)
It's just a temporary one really, celebrating Sony's gift yesterday of the (allegedly rare, only hand out one per month) Little Big Planet level creator's crown. :D

RacingHippo

Quote from: "Pedro"celebrating Sony's gift yesterday of the (allegedly rare, only hand out one per month) Little Big Planet level creator's crown. :D

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
Conga-rats, Uncle Pedders!
Will your accolades ever cease?
* May contain nuts.

Pedro

Only if I stop self-promoting....  :twisted:  ;)

catherine

Well done Pedders!