Wives/girlfriends

Started by H3WMW, August 19, 2009, 12:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H3WMW

Here's a poser for all you Frost* guys and all the muso frosties out there..................

If you play an instrument in a band, does your wife/girlfriend come along to gigs and/or listen to the music that you play?

Being a bassist, I love playing in the rock covers band that I'm in.  We play a lot of crowd-pleaser stuff from bands/artists such as Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Rainbow, Van Halen, Rod Stewart and Bryan Adams to name but a few.  As they are well known songs my wife loves to listen to the band and get up and dance (sometimes).

However, the bands that I listen to at home/in the car are classic rock/prog rock bands like Frost* (of course), Rush, Porcupine Tree, Yes and The Who.

And guess what, my wife hates it all!!!  She would prefer to listen to mainstream chart topping acts and <<SHUDDER>> boy bands!!!

If she is in the car and I stick on one of my favourite bands' CDs I get the usual, "Get that shit off and put the radio on!"

I just wonder if all muso widows, I mean, wives are the same as my beloved or do some actually have the same taste in music as your good selves?

I would really like to hear the thoughts of the Frost* members on this one (Jem, Dec, JM, JJ) and if you have any amusing stories about your WAGs' taste in music then please do share.

Thank you muchly.

Willie

rogerg

well, while we don't agree on every bit of music, we do love our Frost* (and It Bites, and Touchstone!, and, and...)
[attachment=0:3gjdbmcv]cairnrogrosfest.jpeg[/attachment:3gjdbmcv]

johninblack

My wife is a Forum member and has seen Frost* live more times than I have. She has excellent taste in music. When I used to play in bands she mostly came along, liked most, disliked some.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Dave M

My wife is my biggest fan and critic, she always came to gigs when she could, but always told you how it was ... she likes most of the music I listen to but not all, sadly she refers to Frost (I've only played her milliontown) as "widdley music" .. though she loved Snowman and BLM.
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

RacingHippo

Quote from: "Dave M"...sadly she refers to Frost (I've only played her milliontown) as "widdley music"
I frequently get told to "Turn that widdley-widdley stuff off!"

She likes the cheesy rock covers that we play in The Garden of Edam (I really must sort out a website!), but is usually boy-sitting so rarely gets to see us.
* May contain nuts.

catherine

I don't actually have a wife or a girlfriend, but I do take my husband along to occasional gigs. Maybe 1 or 2 a year. He's not really that into it, but generally tolerates the music that I play in the car and at home. I've taken my younger son along to a couple of gigs recently which he and I both enjoyed. My older son's keener on classical music.

In the days when I played in bands, my then boyfriend was a keen supporter and used to come along to every gig and act as roadie for us, which was nice.

Brom

Quote from: "RacingHippo"
Quote from: "Dave M"...sadly she refers to Frost (I've only played her milliontown) as "widdley music"
I frequently get told to "Turn that widdley-widdley stuff off!"

My OH calls Jazz Rock, "Tinkly Tinkly toilet music"

She does, however, like most of the prog I play especially Camel, Genesis, Floyd. However if there is a very obvious out of the ordinary time signature going on it invariabley gets the thumbs down. She finds gigs too loud, hence my usual solo attendance at such events.
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Gman

I'm really luck in that my wife loves music, plays keyboards, sings and likes (some) prog music - mostly It Bites and Frost*.

We play in 2 bands together - a covers band called Ten Feet Tall and Fushi (neo pop prog).

She does have her moments (some boy bands and other assorted pap pop) but she does also really like some more credible pop like Judie Tzuke, Go West, Level 42 and The Feeling.

My ex used to come and watch me play - pretty much saw every gig I did (which was something like 300 over the 4 years).

namister

My wife never used to like prog, but now she doesnt listen to anything else and its all my fault, the car is always blasting mainly Arena/Frost/Riverside/Darwins Radio/IQ/Pink floyd :)  Mind you I do throw some bands into the mix that she just cant get (Yes/ Marillion/ KIng Crimson) so guess I got more work to do.

Honestly though I dont know how she changed she used to be a Boy Band/pop sort of gal :)  Not that there is nothing wrong with pop :)

Geetar

Quote from: "Gman"she does also really like some more credible pop like Judie Tzuke, Go West, Level 42 and The Feeling.

Good taste, your missus.

Mine likes Queen, G'n'R, Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, the wonderful Imogen, Sarah McLachan and a load of classical.

She'd listen to my Holdsworth, Wayne Krantz and Scott Henderson only at gunpoint; and she's not much better with prog.
This space for sale.

glaik

When i played in a band years ago the then missus didn't bother and hated prog.

The current, as in the last 11 years, loves Frost* ,Floyd, It Bites, Kino, Marlllion, Genesis etc.

We've seen genesis, frost* and Marlliion together.

Mouse

I'm a loner. No-one's ever been interested in me. Maybe one day I'll find a girl who loves Pink Floyd and David Gilmour's guitar solos as much as I do but, until then, I get to play whatever music I want whenever I want.  8-)    :?    :cry:

;)

Trapezium Artist

Egads: what's going on around here? Second time today I've written a post, submitted it, have been pretty darn sure it's come up in the forum, but then *poof*, ten minutes later it's gone. And this one was a long one ...  :( Anyway, one more time ...

-------------

Chin up, Mouse: it'll (probably) happen. I'm sure there are a number of formerly spoddy, nerdy, geeky progfan types on here who've nevertheless ultimately been able to pass on their genes by mutual and loving consent. Well, at least one, I'm sure of ;)

Problem is, being a progfan is a pretty weird and wonderful modus operandum that only a very small fraction of the world subscribes to and that very naturally greatly reduces your cross-section for attractive interactions with someone like-minded of the opposite (or same, depending) gender who shares the same predilections.

Of course, knowing that it's just statistics hardly helps, but there are doubtless ways of increasing your interaction cross-section. That said, I'm sure that Nellie, Catherine, Sarah, and many others are far better qualified to give you hints in this regard, although I suspect that they might be more appropriately passed along via PMs or Nellie's beloved Twitter  :D

As for my significant others, both my former and current wives have been positively disposed towards the widdly-widdly of prog, while having other strong musical leanings in addition. Wife 1 also had a thing for new-age and jazz, both of which leave me pretty cold, while WIfe 2 (who will kill me if she sees me writing about her in this manner  :shock: ) has a love of classical and opera which I most avowedly share.

Gig-wise, I think I saw Pink Floyd at RFK Stadium in Washington, ABWH at Merriweather Post Pavilion, and Yes (Union) in San Diego with Wife 1, so fairly proggy, while with Wife 2, concerts have included Radiohead, Catatonia, Suede, REM, The Bangles, and Sigur Ros in Berlin, plus many classical concerts and operas, so not so proggy. But she's absolutely redeemed herself by having been at The Peel for Frost* last Christmas ...  :D

And finally, as for playing in a band, nope, never have: I only wish I'd been given something else to learn to play at school other than a clarinet, which put me right off  :(  But I'd love to have time to learn piano, even at my advanced age:  I like nothing more than mucking around with computer synth software making bizarre noises. One day I'll have to share ...  :D

Bokkie

Quote from: "Mouse"I'm a loner. No-one's ever been interested in me. Maybe one day I'll find a girl who loves Pink Floyd and David Gilmour's guitar solos as much as I do but, until then, I get to play whatever music I want whenever I want.  8-)    :?    :cry:

;)
Lol! Hey mouse, join the club of lonely and pathetic prog lovers who really want a girlfriend but always get rejected based on our brilliant taste in music. :lol:
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

Gandalf1986

Quote from: "Bokkie"
Quote from: "Mouse"I'm a loner. No-one's ever been interested in me. Maybe one day I'll find a girl who loves Pink Floyd and David Gilmour's guitar solos as much as I do but, until then, I get to play whatever music I want whenever I want.  8-)    :?    :cry:

;)
Lol! Hey mouse, join the club of lonely and pathetic prog lovers who really want a girlfriend but always get rejected based on our brilliant taste in music. :lol:

Yes! Come and join us for a progpint! :D
You talk
You think you own me
You miss the point completely
These things I do they\'re not for you
I\'m sick and I\'m tired
Leave me alone...
[/b]

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - Pedro