Wives/girlfriends

Started by H3WMW, August 19, 2009, 12:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catherine

Looks like being one of the few "ladies who Prog" is a very good way of meeting chaps, but it doesn't work so well the other way round, given the gender ratio of the audience. Theo Travis (sax player in the Tangent) told me once that in between the bits that he plays in the songs he often counts the women in the audience and is lucky if he gets up to double figures! And most of those are dragged along protesting by their other halves - finding ones who go because they want to is really quite unusual.

I have heard tell that there are lots of women who go to Take That gigs... or who like clubbing...

Mouse

Quote from: "Gandalf1986"
Quote from: "Bokkie"Lol! Hey mouse, join the club of lonely and pathetic prog lovers who really want a girlfriend but always get rejected based on our brilliant taste in music. :lol:

Yes! Come and join us for a progpint! :D

We accept you, one of us! We accept you, one of us! Gooba gabba, gooba gabba...  :twisted:

:lol:

drblowthingsup

my girlfriend doesnt really listen to any music so shes very suceptible to just listening to whatever i put on lol so she like sonata arctica frost and dream theater :D
she does have an annoying habit of refering to all music she likes as 'pretty' which is odd because its a thoroughly weird situation in which the crazy JMs krull bit from dear dead days is seen as pretty.

gr8gonzo

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"  8-)

I am most fortunate to be married to a woman who not only loves music, but loves rock and hard rock.  Aerosmith, Slaughter and Skid Row are among her favorite bands.  I am additionally fortunate that she likes almost everything I've introduced her to, be it prog or other.  That said, she's not particularly keen about prog, but enjoys it in small doses.  And there are exceptions to the rule - she's rather fond of Frost*, Jellyfish (if they count) and (believe it or not) Dream Theater, some Spock's Beard, as well.

My touring days had past before we met, but she attended many excruciating cover band shows in support of her guy.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

H3WMW

What brilliant tales.

Keep 'em coming lads and lasses.

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

johninblack

Quote from: "catherine"or who like clubbing...
What is this "Clubbing" you speak of? It sounds violent! :D
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Nellie

Quote from: "Gandalf1986"
Quote from: "Bokkie"
Quote from: "Mouse"I'm a loner. No-one's ever been interested in me. Maybe one day I'll find a girl who loves Pink Floyd and David Gilmour's guitar solos as much as I do but, until then, I get to play whatever music I want whenever I want.  8-)    :?    :cry:

;)
Lol! Hey mouse, join the club of lonely and pathetic prog lovers who really want a girlfriend but always get rejected based on our brilliant taste in music. :lol:

Yes! Come and join us for a progpint! :D

When I was at school (a million years ago), my friend and I started the "Nobody ever fancies me" club. I can't remember whether a certain keyboard player was a member but I know for sure that his brother was and my brother and all of their friends. They were (and still are) progists but are now all married and some even have children :lol:
Enjoy yourself while you can!
It's in the post!

Brom

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"And finally, as for playing in a band, nope, never have: I only wish I'd been given something else to learn to play at school other than a clarinet, which put me right off  :(  But I'd love to have time to learn piano, even at my advanced age:  I like nothing more than mucking around with computer synth software making bizarre noises. One day I'll have to share ...  :D

Ohh yes, please do share.  :D we all love to hear what Frosties get up to behind closed doors..

Ooops, that may not be a very appropriate thing to say considering the general topic  :D
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

catherine

Quote from: "johninblack"

I'm not sure really. I've never tried it myself. I think it involves drinking quite a lot of Bacardi Breezers and standing around in a crowded dark room with flashing lights and REALLY loud music with a 4/4 time signature. There's a chap (usually a chap) on a podium, who provides the music from CDs. Sometimes you have to wave your arms in the air and writhe around in time to the music.

A bit like going to The Peel, I suppose, only there you can drink a decent pint of Spitfire, there are real live musicians on the stage, and the time signature is rarely 4/4 for very long!

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "catherine"
Quote from: "johninblack"

I'm not sure really. I've never tried it myself. I think it involves drinking quite a lot of Bacardi Breezers and standing around in a crowded dark room with flashing lights and REALLY loud music with a 4/4 time signature. There's a chap (usually a chap) on a podium, who provides the music from CDs. Sometimes you have to wave your arms in the air and writhe around in time to the music.

Hmm, I remain rather unconvinced, Catherine: such a detailed knowledge of this primal mating event they call "clubbing" can surely only come from first-hand experience. Then again, since you didn't mention the little sweets they seem to have to eat as a necessary part of the experience, perhaps you are a clubbing virgin after all  :D

I imagine, following JiB's lead, that the reason it is called "clubbing" is because in the ancient past, you'd choose your mate at a distance, walk over and club her senseless with a sabretooth tiger jawbone, then drag her back to your cave.

Now it seems as though mankind (and I say "man" deliberately) has evolved just a little, such that now clubbing involves pretending you're a peacock and attempting to stupefy your target into submission by strutting around in gaudy apparel and by making hypnotic arm, leg, and head motions vaguely in time with the 4/4. Of course, things still end up in a cave, or student bedsit as they're more politely known these days.

But Mouse, you're a progfan and thus far more imaginative and creative: I think you should eschew the simplistic peacock approach, and take your inspiration from the astonishing lyre bird:

//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HatwDWfnkbA

Do watch the whole thing: it's well worth it  :D

SerFox

I can't figure out my boyfriend's musical taste but when you look through his iPod is the generic selection of pop/rock bands that I see on EVERY iPod, as if it comes standard to have these things on there. Chilli peppers, kaiser chiefs, foo fighters, that sorta thing.

While he doesn't have an explicit interest in prog, he doesn't nessecarily have the same depth in music as I do, to him it's something to sing along to (He likes Toys, I must add, even on my first EIMA listen I was making up words and noises to sing along :D)

He has come see me to perform in the various bands I've performed in but he has a phobia of crowds so getting him to these gigs is sometimes difficult. What is more important to me is that he listens to what I composes and is honest about it.

The Cosmic Lawnmower

Yes my OH comes to pretty much all my cover band gigs, she's kind of drum roadie gal, as I like to set my own guitar amps and stuff (don't want anyone messing up the feng shui of the guitar pit!) and the drummer likes the extra help.

Also as we share a lot of similar tastes in bands and musical genre we pretty much always go to gigs together Frost* included!

Geetar

Quote from: "SerFox"he listens to what I composes

Can I has cheezburger? :D
This space for sale.

SerFox

Quote from: "Geetar"
Quote from: "SerFox"he listens to what I composes

Can I has cheezburger? :D

Oh dear xD I think coming from reading my lolcat book to here wasn't too great.

I'm going to leave that typo there just because it's rather amusing. :D  I usually correct myself..

catherine

I read that as Pirate-speak rather than lolcat-speak!

*adopts strong pirate accent*
Arr, he listens to what I composes, that he do, me hearties! Har-harr! Shiver me timbers and pass the grog!
*reverts to normal with a bit of a struggle*