Songwriting and avoiding cheese

Started by Gman, August 20, 2009, 04:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johninblack

Quote from: "EvilDragon"Should I edit my post to reflect the change?
That would be up to you but personally I'd leave it alone, for 2 reasons 1. It's natural for you to write it that way. 2. Us Brits always (big generalization I know) expect everyone else to speak/write English. Why the hell should we. and 3. (I can't count) I didn't know that about writing music in German so leave it for it's educational value.

And what Roger said! :mrgreen:
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Mouse

Quote from: "rogerg"I like this site: GuitarChords for hearing what chords sound like.

Huge mega thanks for that link, Roger! I've been wanting to find something like that for some time. Expensive chords, here I come!  :D

And more big thanks to EvilDragon for such a b'arvelous post on the Music Theory. It's definitely going to come in useful for learning what I should *cough* already know.  :)

And well said, JIB.  8-)

EvilDragon

Quote from: "johninblack"
Quote from: "EvilDragon"Should I edit my post to reflect the change?
That would be up to you but personally I'd leave it alone, for 2 reasons 1. It's natural for you to write it that way. 2. Us Brits always (big generalization I know) expect everyone else to speak/write English. Why the hell should we. and 3. (I can't count) I didn't know that about writing music in German so leave it for it's educational value.

And what Roger said! :mrgreen:

1. Actually, I do speak English for 16 or so years, so I should know better to adapt. It comes like second nature to me anyways. Oh well, I leave it to confuse the Frosties :P

2. Yeah I do know about that :) And I do use English a fair lot, as stated above (could you tell I'm not a Brit without seeing the Location field? :P)

3. This one cracked me up! :D (the "I can't count" part) :D

Jem

Quote from: "Mouse"My main problem is lyrics. I want to use the exact right words to express exactly how I feel or what I visualise. If the words don't fit or sound right, then I don't use them. This is why it takes me ages to write lyrics.

Word. Although I'm finding that the more I do it, the easier it gets, but my oh my, I've got some howlers in the vaults!! :lol:

SerFox

Quote from: "Jem"
Quote from: "Mouse"My main problem is lyrics. I want to use the exact right words to express exactly how I feel or what I visualise. If the words don't fit or sound right, then I don't use them. This is why it takes me ages to write lyrics.

Word. Although I'm finding that the more I do it, the easier it gets, but my oh my, I've got some howlers in the vaults!! :lol:

Any day-job outtakes to share? :D

RacingHippo

And that's why I've only ever written three complete songs in 20 years  :roll:
Hell, my lyrics even have to have their semi-colons in just the right place for the best effect!

Quote from: "Jem"Word. Although I'm finding that the more I do it, the easier it gets, but my oh my, I've got some howlers in the vaults!! :lol:
So long as they're well-to-do howlers, I'm sure they could join the other Creatures of Distinction...
* May contain nuts.

drblowthingsup

i find that when i write several melody lines, especially with 2 guitars an bass, the chords kind of form themselves rather than have a specific chord for every beat.
and i have a lol notepad that i jot down tiny lines whenever i think of them so i go back to that if im struggling for ideas :)
we should write a song on here somehow maybe even sir godfrey could have some input ;) wel all be stars yet :D

Drarok

Quote from: "RacingHippo"Hell, my lyrics even have to have their semi-colons in just the right place for the best effect!
Sounds like they'd be perfect for Friday's #songsincode thing on twitter. :lol: