Started by codex, November 12, 2008, 03:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codex

Did anyone notice this album?

Sounds like the old days of ELP....
ELP is dead, long live ELP!!! 8-)
F[size=85]inally[/size] F[size=85]ound[/size] F[size=85]rost*[/size]

Mikey

Quote from: "codex"Did anyone notice this album?

Sounds like the old days of ELP....
ELP is dead, long live ELP!!! 8-)
Think it got a mention just before the doors closed on the old forum.
If it's like ELP then I'll be delving in.

ELP, Maiden, Schenker...think I'm re-generating
I used to have a signature

Mikey

I'd never heard of him, but
Quote from: "the infamous wiki"Marc Bonilla is a guitarist. He has worked with Keith Emerson (including on 1995's Changing States and in Emerson's 2006 touring band), Glenn Hughes (on The Way It Is, 1999, also playing keyboards), David Coverdale (late 2000 live band)[1] and Kevin Gilbert (Toy Matinee live band). He also appears on the Emerson, Lake & Palmer tribute album Encores, Legends & Paradox (Magna Carta Records, 1999).
So I must have heard him

He's on Knife edge, Hoedown & Tarkus

Bloody hell....had this years and just realised who's on this. I'd never heard of them when I got the CD.

Rick

Marc Bonilla sounds like John Wetton on this album its the best thing Emo has done in years...

Mikey

Quote from: "Rick"its the best thing Emo has done in years...
That doesn't take much doing. He's wearing well though, almost as old as Mick Jagger

Rick

apparently Greg Lake was 60 yesterday, makes me feel very old :)

Mikey

Quote from: "Rick"apparently Greg Lake was 60 yesterday, makes me feel very old :)
Wiki says 10th so it's probably tomorrow :D

ChrisX

From what I have heard of it, it sounds really really good. Bonilla has managed to reinvigorate Emerson and they have assembled quite an energetic band around him. Bonilla sounds uncannily like a cross between Greg Lake and John Wetton.
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

Jess

John Wetton rocks ! If he sounds like Wetton the album has to be awesome !

Jess

ChrisX

Quote from: "Jess"John Wetton rocks ! If he sounds like Wetton the album has to be awesome !

Jess

Then by all accounts get Martin Orford's The Old Road album that has just been released as Wetton sings on 2 tunes. I don't know how quick Orford can write songs but if Wetton's got any sense in him he should let Orford write a next Asia album. These two songs are miles and miles ahead of the drivel that passed on for songs on the latest Asia abum.
--
Christian

Geetar

Yay on the Orford writing for Asia thing; and they could get rid of the guitar geezer while they're at it.... I can't help thinking that I bought their last album to remind myself why I stopped listening to them the first time around.

TOR is a much better vehicle for Wetton's voice.
This space for sale.

PhilHarmonic

Agreed with all that - but, cripes!!! What about this.....?  (Taken from the 'Amazon' review of TOR...)

''The world is changing and Martin Orford doesn't like it! With the advent of digital downloading and the ever present internet, Martin sees the music business changing in ways which he feels erodes the validity of what he is doing, making music more a disposable commodity rather than an art form to be experienced and cherished. For that reason he is getting out! Having quit his band IQ and now releasing this final music statement, he is calling it a day. We are poorer for that decision. But this album is both a fitting final achievement and a perfect example of why he is making this his swan song. The music is gloriously English 70's retro prog utilising the instruments and sounds of those times, realised with an all star cast (well, within prog circles) which includes members of Spock's Beard, Arena, Jadis and IQ as well as key vocal contributions from John Wetton on a couple of tracks. Lyrically the mood is also reflective and nostalgic for days gone by and an ever changing England which Martins sees as losing its inherent character, charm and traditions.''

Is this true?  If so, does anyone know anyone who can have a word in his shell like..?

And, yes, I shall be dipping into the delights that should be the new Emo opus.  Saw his band with Mark B a couple of summers ago and they did a stonking re-work of 'Lucky Man' as arranged by MB himself.  And the LFE from the modular Moog nearly fried my insides - the wind of bass parted my hair on the other side!!
I play the right notes but not necessarily in the correct order

ChrisX

Quote from: "PhilHarmonic"Agreed with all that - but, cripes!!! What about this.....?  (Taken from the 'Amazon' review of TOR...)

''The world is changing and Martin Orford doesn't like it! With the advent of digital downloading and the ever present internet, Martin sees the music business changing in ways which he feels erodes the validity of what he is doing, making music more a disposable commodity rather than an art form to be experienced and cherished. For that reason he is getting out! Having quit his band IQ and now releasing this final music statement, he is calling it a day. We are poorer for that decision. But this album is both a fitting final achievement and a perfect example of why he is making this his swan song. The music is gloriously English 70's retro prog utilising the instruments and sounds of those times, realised with an all star cast (well, within prog circles) which includes members of Spock's Beard, Arena, Jadis and IQ as well as key vocal contributions from John Wetton on a couple of tracks. Lyrically the mood is also reflective and nostalgic for days gone by and an ever changing England which Martins sees as losing its inherent character, charm and traditions.''

Is this true?  If so, does anyone know anyone who can have a word in his shell like..?

Yep, sad but true and from what I have read from Martin on the Progressive Ears forum this is pretty much set in stone.
--
Christian

PhilHarmonic

It's so sad - a movement forwards / sideways cannot be the result of a destruction.

Steve Wilson has embraced this change with a passion and hasn't / won't do his projects any harm (or his income).

The world is an odd place!
I play the right notes but not necessarily in the correct order