BLM solo difficulties :/

Started by EvilDragon, September 06, 2009, 09:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilDragon

Hello Frosties, especially those inclined to keyboards!

I'm learning BLM key solo, and am 98% done. I have only one place with issues, and that's of course the fast ascending run before the end of it all :(

Anyone know what Jem exactly played here? I tried to catch it from the Youtube vid, but it's just impossible, his fingers are too fast for my eye (not that I couldn't play it, as I can play the rest of the solo rather well :))! So... anyone with any ideas how should it be done?

Attaching GP4 tab of what I have for now. I have marked the wrong bar. Please help?[attachment=0:17lgl9ks]BLM_SOLO.zip[/attachment:17lgl9ks]

SerFox

I'm not 100% sure which run you mean, theres one pretty fast run near the end which to me looks and sounds mostly pentatonicish. Then there is the final run before the last repetition of the motif of the solo, which looks like another 'Hyperventilate' bit, going up in triplets, 1 b5 8 (First, Flattened Fifth, Octave)

So that would be E, Bb, E', then he does this or something similar, and moves it up in semitones, so the next series would be F, B, F', then F#, C, F#' and so on for about 6 semitones before, like I said playing the motif.

Close I believe to what Jem does, but I'm sure he'll come along and tell me I'm COMPLETELY wrong.

Wouldn't be the first time, either! :lol:

EvilDragon

Yeah, I know the 1-5b-8 part onward flawlessly. It's the run that leads to the part before that one which baffles me.

So we have (near the end):

the fast run (problem) - yeah it does sound pentatonic. BUT TOO FAST XD
pitchbend-triplet down several times (with roots in C', C', F'', C', G', C)
1-5b-8 (E-Bb-E', A-Eb-A', D'-Ab)
sus2 chromatically from C' to G' in triplets
wholetone melody downwards (D'' E'' C'' Bb' Ab' Gb' Ab' Bb' Gb' E' D' C' Bb Ab Gb E)

EvilDragon

Here's the latest version I managed to pull off.

Please forgive slight timing inaccuracies at certain places :( Those things will fall into place with more practice.

I did nail the sound, though! ;) Blimey!

http://www.box.net/shared/aoz9tsfpvm

rogerg

EvilDragon

Thanks, but that was a bad take :/ I couldn't get any better that day. I can play it a bit better today (two days after the recording above)... But I'm in lack of time to do it.

So, anyone has any ideas about the issue here? Jem, I hope your wrist gets soon well, so you can help with this small issue of mine :)

EvilDragon

A bit better take, this time with MY lead sound that I'm comfortable with! I guess it shows ;)

Sorry about the slight fuckup at the end! ;_;

http://www.box.net/shared/mje54pq2yx

Jem

hello hello!

Sorry for not getting here sooner. Very good work mate.  :D

re - the widdly scale, it is just a pentatonic doo dah, but I have no idea what the notes are, it's kind of a "folded back on itself" run that I do largely when improvising. it starts on C in this case, heads down to F pentatonically and then up to the next F staying pentatonic, but you have to double strike the C going from your little finger to your thumb en route. It's hard to explain. The best way to practice is it is to try double triggering the same note, first with your little finger and then with the thumb on the same hand. Get it really properly fast and then try incorporating that into your run, you'll then end up with roughly the right amount of notes per octave to make it sound like a flurry of notes without actually having to do much.  :D

It's just one of those weird little personal traits of mine when soloing. Lots of bluff, but not much substance.  :lol:

Have fun.

J

EvilDragon

Oh, so I was on the right track! I mean, it's really hard to hear it from the album, and I noticed you played the solo slightly differently in few places on that youtube vid, but that doesn't matter in that ending part much. Pentatonic it is. Here's a slowed down version of what I play:

http://www.box.net/shared/mbyj4vov0s

So it's a F-G-Bb-C 2x, C-D-F-G 2x going up, except in the high octave goes once from C and once from F, then bends on high C, then the triplet down run. It sure sounds a lot like what you played. When I get a cam or something, you might see video responses on youtube ;)

Thanks for replying, Jem, you're truly a legend and my personal inspiration!

Next stop: Hyperventilate solo!

Gandalf1986

I haven't seen this thread before! Damn it, I could have helped you a lot on this, but it seems Jem did his job ;)

I've done both of the solos and if you need help, throw a shout at me! :D
You talk
You think you own me
You miss the point completely
These things I do they\'re not for you
I\'m sick and I\'m tired
Leave me alone...
[/b]

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - Pedro

Mouse

I still find it hard to believe that some people can work out these solos by ear alone. Incredible!

catherine

I believe some of the keyboard players use their fingers as well...

EvilDragon

Mostly ears first, then fingers is with me ;)

Gandalf, so I did it well? Woohoo for me, then, I guess ;P

Let's see Hyperventilate, that one seems a bit trickier. I do have a MIDI file of it, just gonna have to compare it with the studio recording.

SerFox

I'm giving the solo my own shot. I have the first few bars. I'm mainly focusing on my pitch bend articulation, want to get it right before nailing the really fast runs.

What think?

http://files.me.com/serfox/tjeip7.aif

EvilDragon

You're missing several vibratos and some notes by the end weren't exactly correct. If you have Guitar Pro 4 (or even a demo) you can open the tab from my original post to get you going.... that is, if you wish to learn the solo note-by-note. I'm not at my PC right now so that tab isn't updated with final version... I will do that in about 10 hours when I'm back, and if you want I can post a MIDI file, too.

Or I can post a REALLY REALLY SLOW audio version of the solo played part-by-part. State your wish, mister! :)