Main Menu

Chickens

Started by Bert, September 10, 2009, 09:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

I've decided I want to keep some Chickens...

That's it....

No really, I've decided I, yadda yadda...

Now, I did have a plan earlier in the year but my bout of insanity got in the way. Trouble is, I always have to go and research stuff on that pesky internet thing and end up with analysis paralysis.

So it is I come to you, dear Frost*ies, in the hope that you can provide me with some sensible advice. I want to keep max 4 - one for each of us. I have enough space, just can't make up my mind on accommodation and stuff:-

Do I go Wood or trendy Eglu type thing ?

Pure breeds, hybrids or rescue hens ?

Is Red Mite really a big problem ?

It's like walking on eggshells, I tells ya :-)

All help gratefully received. I might even bring you an egg.
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

Nellie

OMD!
I can't believe that not 2 hours before I saw you last Saturday, I bought a real book on how to keep chickens. I am thinking the exact same thing.
How come we didn't talk about chickens? :lol:
It's in the post!

Jem

I have chickens! We've had 4 since March and they're marvellous. We get 3-4 eggs every day, they're very low maintenance, we've not had any problem with red mite (yet!), all they need is fresh water, layers pellets and oyster shell which they eat to harden their eggs else you get soft shelled eggs, plus we give them apples, bird seed, blackberries and any other vegetables they seem to like. They don't like broccoli, but they love courgettes weirdly.

We keep them in a big wooden cage with their ark at one end so they've got plenty of space to mooch about in and whenever we're down on the railway line with them for any length of time, we let them out to range about for a few hours. They've got quite friendly now and don't mind us picking them up from time to time. We've had no trouble with foxes either so far. They will trash your lawn though if you plan to put them on that, so it'd best to move them every few months to give the ground a chance to recover as well as their feet. They're not good in muddy conditions.

We bought free range layers on their way to the abattoir after a year's commercial duty and they've been brilliant. As long as you don't mind handling chicken shit every day, you'll be just fine.  :lol:

Good luck! :D

Jem

Quote from: "Nellie"OMD!

OMD?!!   :lol:

catherine

Quote from: "Jem"

Yes, it's a well-known expression in the music world, denoting surprise, shock and awe. It stands for Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark. They were a synth-pop outfit from the Wirral. Big in the 80s, but I expect most of you are too young to remember them!

Pedro

Oh My Dog of course....less controversial. :D
Nothing involving orchestras with the lights off....at least, I don't think so.

Of course it's perfectly normal for chickens to eat the shells of oysters, given that they were once vicious marine predators.... :?

EDIT: and there it is again, I hit reply and while I'm typing Cath posts, I get no warning about the new post so I look like I've ignored her post again....
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Bert

I can't believe that not 2 hours before I saw you last Saturday, I bought a real book on how to keep chickens. I am thinking the exact same thing.
How come we didn't talk about chickens? :lol:

Ahhh, yes, but there were so many other things to talk about.

Anyway, it'll give us something to talk about next time :-)
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

Bert

Quote from: "Jem"I have chickens! We've had 4 since March and they're marvellous. We get 3-4 eggs every day, they're very low maintenance, we've not had any problem with red mite (yet!), all they need is fresh water, layers pellets and oyster shell which they eat to harden their eggs else you get soft shelled eggs, plus we give them apples, bird seed, blackberries and any other vegetables they seem to like. They don't like broccoli, but they love courgettes weirdly.

We keep them in a big wooden cage with their ark at one end so they've got plenty of space to mooch about in and whenever we're down on the railway line with them for any length of time, we let them out to range about for a few hours. They've got quite friendly now and don't mind us picking them up from time to time. We've had no trouble with foxes either so far. They will trash your lawn though if you plan to put them on that, so it'd best to move them every few months to give the ground a chance to recover as well as their feet. They're not good in muddy conditions.

We bought free range layers on their way to the abattoir after a year's commercial duty and they've been brilliant. As long as you don't mind handling chicken shit every day, you'll be just fine.  :lol:

Good luck! :D

Cheers Jem. Excellent steerage :-)
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

RacingHippo

Quote from: "Jem"...and whenever we're down on the railway line with them for any length of time, we let them out to range about for a few hours.

Playing "chicken" with trains?
* May contain nuts.

Gandalf1986

Oh My Dec? :D
You talk
You think you own me
You miss the point completely
These things I do they\'re not for you
I\'m sick and I\'m tired
Leave me alone...
[/b]

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - Pedro

Nellie

Quote from: "Gandalf1986"

OMD?!! :lol:

No!
Pedders has it.
We don't want them all to feel omnipotent  ;)
It's in the post!

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Nellie"
Quote from: "Gandalf1986"

OMD?!! :lol:

No!
Pedders has it.
We don't want them all to feel omnipotent  ;)

There you are; with the birds  :D

//http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6484138201640748049#

I trust your move went well; elsewhere we've been debating the size of your estate and when you'll be inviting us all over for tea and biccies.

Geetar

Forget the size of the estate- enquiring minds ( well, mine actually; so you could probably re-label that "dysfunctional minds" ) want to know about the manholes.....
This space for sale.