Re: Any of us lucky enough to be surfing the Google Wave?

Started by Bert, October 07, 2009, 05:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

I applied for beta testing, but they won't let me play.

Booo  :(
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

catherine

I've requested to beta test but I'm still waiting to hear.

(scurries off to check gmail account)

Nope, nothing yet.

MikeEvs

What's google wave? I see lots of twitter chat about it but haven't been bothered to investigate.

Feel free to tell me to JFGI :lol:

johninblack

Quote from: "eponymous"I think a public Frost* wave would be positively mad!  
But can you imagine the fun and the chaos?
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Trapezium Artist

Hmmm, it worries me that my first reaction to the Wave was "err, why on earth would I need one of those new-fangled doodads?"

I mean, I'm no technological luddite (hardly likely given my job) and have been like a pig in clover since I got my iPhone 3GS (what's not to like about Bebot, Bloom, Redlaser, and Starmap?), but somehow I fear I'm getting too old for all this enhanced social interaction malarkey.

MySpace, Facebook, Twitter; I understand what they do, but I just don't get why they're so compelling, even after accounting for the me-too fad-like nature of them (I'm old enough to remember clackers: I know about fads).

Email, yes; I've been using it constantly for 30 years (really) and couldn't live/work without it; forums like this: very straightforward, very enjoyable. But somehow the constantly-in-your-face (sic) nature of these social networking beasts seems too much, too frenetic, too Radio One, and paradoxically, too anonymous. Perhaps I'm just getting old: Radio Three is more my style pace-wise, although, by definition since I'm here, my musical interests are much wider than classical alone. Then again, what's not to like about Late Junction?

So, with Google Wave promising some kind of always-on, rapid-fire collaborative environment involving (potentially) many people simultaneously ... I'm just not sure my brain has the required baud rate these days  :(

johninblack

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"I'm just not sure my brain has the required baud rate these days  :(
I'm with you all the way on that one. :D
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Pedro

"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Drarok

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"<a lot>
Ever used email on a mailing list, or tried to use it to arrange even a small group of people? Just Monday we were trying to organise a climbing trip on the evening, only the 6 of us, and we tried a 6-way email message using "Reply To All", to simulate a mailing list. And within the 1st 3 or 4 messages, we'd already got out of sync and had people replying to old messages, it's crap!

I've been thinking for ages that there had to be a better solution, and I think that Wave might be a step in the right direction. Now if only I could score an invite! :x :x :x :x :x

Bert

I've got an an invite now (I had a tantrum) and now I've got it, I don't know what the f**k to do with it  :roll:

But at least I have it, and am no longer the outsider at fashionable new media dinner parties, and can still feel part on the Internet2.0rati  ;)

(ps, can anyone tell me what the f**k it's for and how to use it ? Racing ?)
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

RWA

Quote from: "johninblack"
Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"I'm just not sure my brain has the required baud rate these days  :(
I'm with you all the way on that one. :D
Same here......  ;)

First: yes, we're getting to old for this shit!  :?

Second: Nonetheless I think there's a complete overkill of useless info these days.
I see my son watching TV. Meanwhile he's on MSN chatting with 2 friends AND watching YouTube clips! In between he's texting stuff from his mobile phone  :shock:
I know kids today are "used" to this but it also worries me he's exhausted by the end of the week. I mean, WTF?! Did any of you were ever exhausted by Friday at age 13? Maybe I'm old fashioned but we're applying some strict rules to mobile phone and Internet use now to give his young mind a rest now and then.

*RANT ALERT*

I'm into new technology if and when it makes some sense. But texting and twittering just because you can drives me nuts. I absolutely HATE it when you try to have a conversation with someone and get interrupted 4 times in 15 minutes by that person because they get stupendous and completely useless phone calls and text messages that HAVE to get answered obviously! God forbid they start to share the stupendous messages with you.  :roll:

I truly wonder what some couples/families have to share with each other once they get home in the evening...... simply because they've already "forwarded" every fricken detail about their day.

8:03 On the phone with person A while he/she's is getting ready for work.

8:03 * let me get back to you; I have to take a dump*
8:05 Twitter message : *I took a crap*
8:06 Twitter message : *OOOOOOOH it's a stinker!!! RAOTFLOL!*
8:10 Twitter message : *Because of the RAOTFLOL'ing I'm now covered in poo!*

3 minute silence......

Person B starts to worry ...... obviously! I mean OMGWTF?!

8:14 Texting back: *everything ok over there?!*
8:15 Text message + G-mail + attachment reply: *this is a high res pic of me.... covered in poo!*
8:16 Texting back: * OMGWTF?!*
8:17 *like, YAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*
etc etc etc etc etc

:?

I don't hate cell phones. I really don't. But shiploads of people manage to send 50+ (shitty....) text messages like this a day......  :? Thanks to Twitter and alike we can now share it with everyone! Everyday! All day! Because we LOVE to know every fricken thing everyone does every fricken moment of the fricken day!!!!!!!

Hummmm!
*END OF RANT* :mrgreen:

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "RWA"*END OF RANT* :mrgreen:

You're a hero, RWA: best thing I've read since ... oh, sorry, incoming Tweet ... ... ... never mind, still the second best thing I've read since ...  :D

Only kidding; my iPhone has never been bothered by a bloody tweet and long shall it remain so. But please excuse me now, as I have to go and check that all of my fountain pens are topped up (with Diamine Majestic Blue, Jet Black, Kelly Green, and Poppy Red, respectively) for the week's real work ahead.

RacingHippo

RWA, you are a very funny fella  :mrgreen:

That said, don't dismiss the likes of Twitter out of hand.
I don't follow anyone who only posts the dull minutae of their lives.  About 70% of my Twitter-stream is full of industry-related stuff: partly folks in a similar line of work who can call on or be alled upon for advice and opinions and partly newsfeeds - I really do get to hear breaking news first, as any tech journo with a desire to keep their job is on there and reporting what they can as soon as they can.

The remaining 30% is made up of friends from around the country (and world, indeed) with whom some very silly conversations have been had.... think Frost*ie forum in real-time :)
* May contain nuts.

Drarok

Quote from: "RacingHippo"I don't follow anyone who only posts the dull minutae of their lives.
You un-followed me?! :cry:

:mrgreen:

I use it similarly to you, I think. I follow tech journos, software companies that create products I use (good for security and new release info), mates, individual programmers, all kinds. I think it's pretty useful, but I have no idea how long it'll be around with no money-making model.

RWA

Quote from: "Drarok"
Quote from: "RacingHippo"I don't follow anyone who only posts the dull minutae of their lives.
You un-followed me?! :cry:

:mrgreen:

I use it similarly to you, I think. I follow tech journos, software companies that create products I use (good for security and new release info), mates, individual programmers, all kinds.
OK, that makes sense to me.
But other then that it's total crap!  :mrgreen:

johninblack

Quote from: "RacingHippo"think Frost*ie forum in real-time :)
I tried but I shat myself.......SCARY :D
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"