Who's coming to my...............

Started by RWA, October 19, 2009, 07:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krische_Jasche

Never mind that. Did you know that the velvet worms (Onychophora — literally "claw bearers") are a minor Ecdysozoan phylum. The segmented worm-like organisms have tiny eyes, antennae, multiple pairs of legs and slime glands. Most common in tropical regions of the Southern Hemisphere, they prey on smaller animals such as insects, which they catch by squirting an adhesive slime. In modern zoology they are particularly renowned for their curious mating behaviour and for bearing live young. They are becoming increasingly popular as pets due to their bizarre appearance and eating habits.

The two extant families of velvet worms are Peripatidae and Peripatopsidae. They show a peculiar distribution, with the peripatids being predominantly equatorial and tropical, while the peripatopsids are all found in what used to be Gondwanaland.

Velvet worms are close relatives of the Arthropoda and Tardigrada, with which they form the taxon Panarthropoda. This makes them of palaeontological interest, as they can help to reconstruct the ancestral arthropod.

catherine

Available in several colours and styles:

blue with big horns

Aubergine with shorter horns

And white, which goes with everything

rogerg

catherine

Their mating behavour is indeed curious.

"In a number of Australian species, the males place their spermatophores on their heads like tiny trophies in readiness to present them to a female."

:shock:

That's the Aussies for you...

Here, Sheila! Look what I got for ya!

RacingHippo

*splort*

Ah well. This keyboard's about due for replacement anyway.
Bravo, Catherine. Funniest thing I've read here for a long time. And that's going some.
* May contain nuts.

RacingHippo

This is the Windows 7 Party that I'll be attending!

I wonder if I can find a torrent for the recipe for those "Space Cakes" they have....
* May contain nuts.

Nellie

Quote from: "catherine"Their mating behavour is indeed curious.

"In a number of Australian species, the males place their spermatophores on their heads like tiny trophies in readiness to present them to a female."

:shock:

That's the Aussies for you...

Here, Sheila! Look what I got for ya!
:lol:
I think they'd make nice earrings.
It's in the post!

catherine

With or without the spermatophores, Nellie?

Nellie

Quote from: "catherine"With or without the spermatophores, Nellie?

Obviously, it would depend on ones choice of footware  :roll:
It's in the post!

RWA

Quote from: "RacingHippo"This is the Windows 7 Party that I'll be attending!

I wonder if I can find a torrent for the recipe for those "Space Cakes" they have....

Awesome!  :lol:

RacingHippo

Crikey. I didn't realise the Japs could dislocate their jaws.
* May contain nuts.