New York State's 'Grand Canyon'

Started by EVP, October 20, 2009, 05:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EVP

Hey peeps! Thought I'd share some pics I took on a fall trip last weekend.
This was an amazing place to visit. It's called Letchworth State park located
about 1/2 hour south of Rochester. It's known as "The Grand Canyon of NYS"

This train stopped on the bridge and we all took pictures. Apparently he must do this
all the time. Mr brother motioned him and he blew the horn for everybody lol.

Trapezium Artist

Hmmm, as a former inhabitant of Arizona, I have to say that calling that the Grand Canyon of New York State is one hell of a stretch. Pretty river valley it may be, Grand Canyon it ain't ...  :roll:

By the same token, here's a picture I found on the interweb of the dunes in Noordwijk, just behind my office: we call it the Sahara Desert of the Netherlands (damn funny camels, mind you ...  :D )

[attachment=0:2fam2pcf]dunedogs.jpg[/attachment:2fam2pcf]

rogerg

EVP

Yeah it is quite a stretch calling it a canyon but it's probably the closest I'll ever come to
ever seeing one in person. Not sure where that unofficial title came from to be honest.
There was so much to see and do there I'm gonna go back sometime. They have some
nice cabins you can rent too. Should be a nice getaway someday.

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "EVP"Yeah it is quite a stretch calling it a canyon but it's probably the closest I'll ever come to
ever seeing one in person. Not sure where that unofficial title came from to be honest.
There was so much to see and do there I'm gonna go back sometime. They have some
nice cabins you can rent too. Should be a nice getaway someday.

Errr, it's not that far to the real Grand Canyon from Ontario, is it? I mean, yes, I know it's the equivalent of travelling all the way across Europe, but relatively speaking, by North American standards, it's not impossible, really?

All I can say is that it's absolutely worth it: amazing place. Indeed, the whole of northern Arizona and southern Utah, from the Grand Canyon to Monument Valley to Four Corners, Canyon de Chelly, and the slot canyons around Page and Lake Powell are well worth an extensive visit.

Tricky

Having beento the Grand Canyon 3 times (and all the way from the UK as well) I can say it's well worth it.  The trouble is, when you're on a fly-drive packinasmuchaspossible type vacation, there's never enough time spent in the right places: eg the Grand Canyon.  Last year we spent 2 nights on the north rim; which I found much quieter (and therefore better) than the south rim.  The only trouble is that although the south rim is a long way from anywhere, the north rim is a fusking long way from anywhere  :roll:  so you have to spend the best part of a day driving to get there  :([attachment=0:2fflvc00]IMGP1744small.JPG[/attachment:2fflvc00]
When the future\'s looking dark, we\'re the ones who have to shine...

Brom

Two things that struck me about the GC. It's very cool that you can drive all the way there and park the car and not even catch a glimps of it until you walk to the end of the car park and say "(insert expletive)". The other thing that got me was, how can something so humongously ginormous be so friggin quiet.
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Trapezium Artist

Nice piccie, Tricky. Next time, add a fake UFO in, and I can say "nice tricky piccie, Tricky"  :D

I'm planning a fly-drive thingy for next summer to the western US with my family, so will take your admonition re: (not) trying to pack too much in into consideration.

We're starting in San Diego in tandem with a conference there, and we already have over-the-border-to-Mexico, LA/Disneyland, Pacific Coast Highway to San Francisco,  Yosemite, and the Nevada nuclear weapons test site (Dad's choice: very interesting in its own right and not too far from Groom Lake, after all  :D ) all on the list ... in about ten days ... hmmm ...

Geetar

If you get out of TJ alive, you might actually stay on schedule.

Only (just) joking....
This space for sale.

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Geetar"If you get out of TJ alive, you might actually stay on schedule.

Only (just) joking....

Don't worry: as someone who used to live in Tucson and who has ventured over the border to Nogales a couple of times, I've told my kids that a trip to Tijuana is very unlikely ...  :shock:

Nope, they'll have to get their Mexico fix (which comes from me cooking them fajitas and quesadillas on a routine basis) on a holiday somewhere sensible like Cozumel another time ...  ;)

catherine

Or else you could take them to Taco Bell...

EVP

If I were ever to make it there, it would have to be by vehicle. I'm not very hip to flying
as I don't do heights unfortunately.  Maybe when I'm retired and can afford to travel
the U.S. in an RV.

Nice picture. Yeah I can see how Letchworth is a dwarf compared to the GC :shock:

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "catherine"Or else you could take them to Taco Bell...

OK you, step outside, please ...  :evil:

Taco Bell - gimmeabreak ...

(I'll have to invite you over for our family fajitas, albeit of the chicken variety, one day: homemade tortillas, refried beans from scratch, house secret fajita marinade, lashings of lime, coriander, sour cream, and fresh salsa ... num, num, num  :D )

Mouse

And now TA, could you please step outside - that description made me very, very hungry.  :P

Beautiful pictures of everything, especially the one of the train. Very nice!  :)  One of my crackpot dreams is to do a full tour of the USA, taking in all the sights and the land (and maybe one or two select cities). I'd love to be driving through the Nevada desert at dusk, listening to Pink Floyd and watching the stars come out one by one.

*Sigh* Forgive me, I'm a bit of a romantic.  :D

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Mouse"And now TA, could you please step outside - that description made me very, very hungry.  :P

Beautiful pictures of everything, especially the one of the train. Very nice!  :)  One of my crackpot dreams is to do a full tour of the USA, taking in all the sights and the land (and maybe one or two select cities). I'd love to be driving through the Nevada desert at dusk, listening to Pink Floyd and watching the stars come out one by one.

*Sigh* Forgive me, I'm a bit of a romantic.  :D

I should send you the recipe, although there isn't one as such: it's all in my noggin, refined over years of trial and taste-testing. I forgot about the homemade guacamole, of course: deelish.

As for driving through the American Southwest desert listening to Pink Floyd, I agree entirely: one of the best things in the world to do (well, driving in the desert; I've probably done it to Pink Floyd and many others in my time).

While you're waiting to go though (not if, but when: think positive), I strongly urge you to download this brilliant time-lapse movie by Timescapes:

Learning To Fly

:shock:

Be warned; that's 352Mb of 1080p wonderfulness, which I thoroughly recommend. If you're more bandwidth challenged, then have a look at a smaller version at Timescapes.org: it's their Spring 2009 demo reel.

Great stuff, particularly the driving-across-the-desert-at-night section: very, very cleverly done  ;)

(I may have posted this before, but it's well worth having another look).