Main Menu

Genesis Box #3

Started by EVP, November 14, 2008, 12:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EVP

Just got my copy today and I have to say this is really quite good. Everything sounds fantastic!
They didn't mess around too much and a lot of stuff has been brought forward that you
couldn't hear before.

I only wish I waited and ordered the SACD/NTSC version. I'm going to wait a while
and find all 3 boxes in either format so I can have SACD versions.

Fogeyspasm

I agree its been a weekend in Heaven!
Selling England in 5.1 Bliss. :D
Tally Ho Chaps
Bandits 11 O\'Clock High
Throttle to boost, im going in!

ChrisX

They might not have messed around with all of the albums except with The Lamb from what I could gather from one listening session so far. And that ain't a bad thing at all because there was lots to improve in the total sound of that album. And you really have to listen AND watch this one from the dvd because you get all the original slides from the show in synch with the music and even some live footage interspersed with those. Great feature.
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

LivingForever

Just picked mine up today as well! The remixes are very interesting, bring out a lot of hidden details, and not as badly over-compressed / modernised as the first box set which gives me an earache... :)

The only thing that annoys me about these box sets is that they never take much effort over the video extras - they have just taken already existing bootlegs and slapped them on, no licensing proper masters from TV stations, no cleaning up sources... they really could do better.
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

ChrisX

Quote from: "LivingForever"The only thing that annoys me about these box sets is that they never take much effort over the video extras - they have just taken already existing bootlegs and slapped them on, no licensing proper masters from TV stations, no cleaning up sources... they really could do better.

Certainly in the case of the Shepperton Studios film that is on Selling England... there is an awesome completely cleaned up and digitized version of this film that was made by a couple of hardcore fans who bought a good print copy of this film. They then set about cleaning and digitizing it frame by frame and the end result is pretty impressive for a non-professional job. This version does circulate in Genesis-fan circles and I have watched it at a friend's house about 3 years ago and was stunned by the overall quality. I bet if the band / management had asked them they could have gotten this version with proper credit given to them for their work. The Shepperton film that is now on Selling England looks almos like a bad copy from a videotape.
--
Christian

LivingForever

Interesting you should mention that...  8-)

The full story is that someone spotted the 16mm film reel for sale on eBay, sent the link to a private group of fellow Genesis footage collectors, and they all put in some money to buy it... one of them was me! (Although admittedly I only put in a tiny amount of cash as I was a bit broke at the time...)

When we won it, it got sent to an amazing guy called KingLerch who got the reel digitised frame by frame, corrected the colours and made proper PAL and NTSC versions of the film, then gave it away for free to everyone.. at the time of writing, over 10,000 people had downloaded one of the versions from the many torrent sites it ended up on, before the official release.

I haven't checked out the extras yet but I have been led to believe that the version which is on the DVD actually is the one you mentioned - with no credit to KingLerch or mention of the story of course. They even converted the PAL version to NTSC for the American DVD set instead of using the proper NTSC version...  :roll:

On a similar note, if you watch the 'Melody' show on the Lamb bonus DVD and you notice a big tape dropout in the middle of Supper's Ready... that was my fault. I digitised that one from a TV station timecoded tape and my VHS player had a fit and chewed it, hence the damaged footage. I also took the opportunity to crop the image to 16:9 widescreen, removing the timecode, so if you notice that people's heads and things sometime seem to be missing... that's why!  :shock:

James

ChrisX

Quote from: "LivingForever"Interesting you should mention that...  8-)

Hmm... is my memory then playing tricks on my then? Because what I saw at a friends place looked vastly better then what can be seen now on the dvd section of Selling England.
--
Christian

LivingForever

Let me have a look and I'll get back to you! ;-)

PaulBM

Am I right in thinking that I'll need an SACD CD player to listen to the 5.1 mixes of the albums? I recently bought an SACD and then found out how rare the players are and more importantly that our DVD player won't read them.  :?

All my other 5.1 albums have been DVDAs. When I saw SACD mentioned on the Genesis stuff, I left it alone.

LivingForever

Quote from: "PaulBM"Am I right in thinking that I'll need an SACD CD player to listen to the 5.1 mixes of the albums? I recently bought an SACD and then found out how rare the players are and more importantly that our DVD player won't read them.  :?

All my other 5.1 albums have been DVDAs. When I saw SACD mentioned on the Genesis stuff, I left it alone.

The Genesis remixes in Europe have all been CD/SACD hybrid (including new stereo and 5.1 remixes), with a bonus DVD disc including DVD footage, and the whole album in DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1, playable on any DVD player with 5.1 speakers!

So the short answer is... no you don't need an SACD player.  :D

PaulBM

Quote from: "LivingForever"So the short answer is... no you don't need an SACD player.  :D

OK, good news, bad news. I can listen them at home, but that's more cash to shell out!  8-)

LivingForever

Well... it's not obligatory to buy the box. Unless you happen to like Genesis I suppose in which case it is a complete must!

I'm debating whether to buy the 83-98 box... I have heard what they did to those albums and they sound much worse to me than the originals. But my shelf would look incomplete without all 3 boxes!

:?

LivingForever

Okay, I checked out the Shepperton film and it does appear to be "our" version but they have re-encoded it to fit on the DVD along with the other material so it looks a bit worse. Same actually goes for all the footage across the set which is a bit of a shame.

To be honest though, even the reel wasn't in *that* good shape in the first place to be honest so it never looked A+ pristine.

EVP

Interesting thanks for the info,confirmation. I had a copy off the torrent and accidentally
erased my external FW drive thus loosing it. I did manage to burn a copy for my brother
and have been waiting for him to come home so I could make a copy of it. But now I have
the box set. You think I should bother copying the original I had,or is the box set version
good enough?

I did manage to see a little of the Lamb slides,but I don't have a 5.1 system so I can't
properly listen while watching it. :(  I've been pricing components for a Theater system
today though. I want a setup that will play DVD-A as well as SACD.

Bert

I haven't got this yet, but the "middle" box is very good.

I couldn't bring myself to buy the 83-98 box.

Anyway, it's a long shot but have asked for it for Xmas.

BTW, does anyone know whether they're planning to do a box of all the live albums  I'd love to hear an expanded/remastered Seconds Out etc ?
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis