Trevor Horn feat Robbie Williams

Started by tomskerous, November 17, 2009, 08:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomskerous

Just quickly wanted to say that the new Robbie album has every gorgeous TH production trick under the sun on it. Still not sure I like RW but ooooooh the production.

(Right, back to work. Pitching to do the new M m m m m m m m my Milkshake! site tomorrow and need to prepare.)
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

Nellie

Quote from: "tomskerous"Just quickly wanted to say that the new Robbie album has every gorgeous TH production trick under the sun on it. Still not sure I like RW but ooooooh the production.

(Right, back to work. Pitching to do the new M m m m m m m m my Milkshake! site tomorrow and need to prepare.)

My builder (who is Robbie's biggest fan) made me go to Asda and buy the new album for him. The next day he told me it was crap! Oh, how I laughed  :lol:

It's m m m m m m m more Milkshake btw)
It's in the post!

Dave M

(dons tin hat)...

I have to say, I like alot of his earlier stuff that was written with Guy Chambers, and I've seen him live and he's an incredible performer, not heard recent album yet though, but I thought the Bodies single was good pop.

.... I'll get my coat :oops:
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

DannySoisSage

So did I Dave-M! I thought the lyrics were shit but the song itself was pretty cool =)

RacingHippo

IMO Guy Chambers was the ideal partner; he rights astoundingly good songs, and Wobbie is - as has been said - a tremendous performer.
RW simply hasn't been as good since they parted company.
* May contain nuts.

RWA

I'm a bit disappointed by it to be honest. "Bodies" , "Deceptacon" and "Starstruck" are great tracks but that's it really for me. I still think Rudebox is his best album. RKTVS is too much on the safe side for me. Rudebox was much more adventurous.
But yeah, the album does sound great indeed.

Trapezium Artist

Haven't and probably won't hear it, but am still curious whether the album name preceded the producer or vice versa. Apparently it woz Robbie wot thunk it up.

While I'm sure most of us here know Trevor primarily through his stint in and subsequent production duties with Yes, he has a pretty remarkable overall oeuvre. But for the sake of diverting the discussion, as we should always strive to do here, I'll just point to his work with t.A.T.u., if only because it gives me an excuse to link to the following vaguely related musical act from Russia:

Serebro - Russian entry for Eurovision 2007

While I had completely forgotten the music since 2007, those outfits still haunt me ...  :shock:

(Cue Catherine and Nellie telling me off for being an unreconstructed male ...  ;) )

Mouse

I didn't know TH produced t.A.T.u.! I wonder what it stands for?

I might give the new RW album a listen at some point, if only just for the production. I likes production. :)

tomskerous

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"While I'm sure most of us here know Trevor primarily through his stint in and subsequent production duties with Yes

Depends on your era I guess, I reckon his work with Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Art of Noise leaves Yes a distant straggler. 90125 was a brilliant album, but it doesn't come even *close* to Welcome to the Pleasuredome as an album surely?

(Seal's first was pretty good too, and there's PSB's arguably finest moment "Domino Dancing", Slave to the Rhythm, and of course ABC. Trevor Horn production - and that of Steve Lipson for Propaganda - just defines what a great record should be to me. And of course let us not forget his more recent work putting all the 'o's into Glo-o-o-orious!)

PS Nels - we hear on Monday!
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

LivingForever

Quote from: "tomskerous"(Seal's first was pretty good too, and there's PSB's arguably finest moment "Domino Dancing", Slave to the Rhythm, and of course ABC. Trevor Horn production - and that of Steve Lipson for Propaganda - just defines what a great record should be to me. And of course let us not forget his more recent work putting all the 'o's into Glo-o-o-orious!)

!

Good call, Tom (will we ever hear that second Captain album?  :(  )

You forgot Belle and Sebastian's superb 'Dear Catastrophe Waitress' though. Otherwise I'm with you on all of the above!

James
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "tomskerous"
Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"While I'm sure most of us here know Trevor primarily through his stint in and subsequent production duties with Yes

Depends on your era I guess, I reckon his work with Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Art of Noise leaves Yes a distant straggler. 90125 was a brilliant album, but it doesn't come even *close* to Welcome to the Pleasuredome as an album surely?

(Seal's first was pretty good too, and there's PSB's arguably finest moment "Domino Dancing", Slave to the Rhythm, and of course ABC. Trevor Horn production - and that of Steve Lipson for Propaganda - just defines what a great record should be to me. And of course let us not forget his more recent work putting all the 'o's into Glo-o-o-orious!)

Agreed, Tom: he has a very broad and impressive portfolio, and I wasn't suggesting that his work with Yes was somehow better than that with anyone else. It's just that given there's at least some prog connection here in this forum (!), I'm sure many people know that as well as producing 90125, he was actually in Yes and made very substantial contributions to Drama, a hugely under-rated album IMHO.

Of course, as I may have mentioned before here, many were manifestly unhappy when Anderson and Wakeman left Yes to be replaced by Horn and Downes, and one of my school friends expressed his distaste by adding "The Buggles" and "Yes" to arrive at "The Buggers" (he was rubbish at maths).

I'm also aware that by concentrating on Yes (again), I'm falling into the trap of sounding like a beardy prog fan with narrow musical tastes, so what about Joanna Newsom, people? Certifiably bonkers but wonderful, right?  :D

Dave M

Just to add to "wot Tom said" ..

I've reversed into prog ... I've always loved mainstream rock and apart from Genesis & Pink Floyd, prog wasnt really on my listening list .. until fairly recently (3 yrs ago?) when I discovered Frost, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree etc ...

I've always been aware of TH from the Buggles and then subsequently as a producer extraordinaire (see Toms list) .. I remember being surprised to find out TH had once been in Yes .. lo and behold, my favourite album of theirs had always been 90125, ( which TH produced ?).. Owner of a lonely heart, Changes etc ... which is not very Yes from what I've heard of the back catalogue.

I've subsequently seen Yes live at the Hammersmith Labbatts Odeon Appollo (whatever its called now) ... and honestly, I'd have walked out if I didnt think I'd have got lynched by the bearded fanatics I was sat amongst ... still, I loved the tin foil stage set .. very Spinal Tap.  :D
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Dave M"I've subsequently seen Yes live at the Hammersmith Labbatts Odeon Appollo (whatever its called now) ... and honestly, I'd have walked out if I didnt think I'd have got lynched by the bearded fanatics I was sat amongst ... still, I loved the tin foil stage set .. very Spinal Tap.  :D

Hmm, you're about 30 years too late for Yes at their live prime, I'm afraid, Dave: I too have been disappointed in the last few years, although only against unreasonable expectations, I suspect  :(

1977 and 1978 at Wembley Arena, those were my first Yes gigs and absolute stormers they were too. Then again, I still regret being a little too young (!) to have been able to see them in the 1972 to 1975 timeframe, with Close to the Edge, Tales, and Relayer live ...

A small impression can be gained from the following, however:

Yes at QPR in 1975

There are a number of clips from this gig on YouTube and the whole thing is available for purchase on DVD from several companies. (I have nothing to do with any of them, but am contemplating buying the Tommygun version linked from this clip: anyone own it / want to comment on it?)

Mooncat

Another Prog link to Robbie - at the Children In Need Albert Hall gig as televised last night the bass player in the 'house' band with whom Robbie did a couple of toons from the new album was none other than Lee Pomeroy (It Bites & Take That).
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Geetar

I think RW should be hired as the new Yes vocalist.

With Elton John on keys, it'd be nearly perfect.
This space for sale.